3 Posts

The Great War» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Played My First Game, Initial Impressions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Savory
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of my regular opponents and I are big fans of Richard Borg's series of games. Between us, we own all his games except the Samurai game and Battlelore. We like them because they're fun and we can play multiple games in an evening. I recently ordered The Great War (and the tank expansions) as part of PSC's Battle of Britain Kickstarter. It will likely be several months before I receive my copy. My buddy just picked up The Great War at Gen Con for only $38.00 (great deal).

We played the first introductory scenario the other night and had a great time. I was struck by how vulnerable infantry is once it leaves the trenches (historically accurate, I would say). The variety of cards adds some nice spice to the game, and I like how the HQ tokens work. I had some good luck with my artillery; one time I rolled triples and cratered a section of the enemy trenches.

Like many other owners of the game, my friend broke a few British bayonets while removing the figures from the frames. Aside from that issue, the game looks good when set up, and we thought it really captures the flavor of WWI trench warfare. I'm now looking forward to trying some of the historical scenarios. Overall I'd give it a score of 9 out of 10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you liked the game...wait until you get your tanks...they open up a ton of new possibilities...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a beauty, all right. It would be more familiar to you if you had played Samurai or Battlelore, since it shares some things with them which have not been in the other C&C games.

But what strikes me is that, even tho the 'engine' is the same, they feel remarkably different from each other and do give a sense of the period they are following.

On face value, a person might think "It's just the same C&C/Battlecry game with different figures," but the reality is amazingly different.

You will likely enjoy going through the scenarios and layering even more stuff into the game. Plenty of fun before you get those tanks...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.