Subject: solo and encounter/factory move rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Garvey
United States
Williamsville
New York
flag msg tools
Just won first solo game and think I might have got it wrong.

AI hero was on factory (worth 3 territories). I get this move card and had to move AI hero off factory to encounter space (and I won mext turn because of AI lost of 2 territory's)

Is that right? You would think the hero would want to protect factory space?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If there is a valid move for the character to move to a space with an encounter token, it will move away from the factory. That's the way the rule is written. The character would only stay if there was no valid move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Israel Waldrom
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Hero has a priority of Factory (if it is within reach and it doesn't have a factory card), then Encounter tokens. So, moving the hero off to get a token is the correct interpenetration. Thematically, you'd assume that they would send a mech there afterwards to secure the space, so that the hero can get on with their exploration, and that is what the next mech movement card would do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to give official confirmation, then yes, the AI character would move away.

In many cases that's a move a human would make to the encounter benefit, but in the last couple of turns a human wouldn't do it. Fixing this issue need us to add an exception.

There were numerous cases like this in the development process and in each case we could make the Automa more intelligent, but going down that path would mean that we'd end up with with a so many exceptions that the Automa would be too hard to manage for everyone but hardcore wargamers .

So we strived to rid the Automa of every rule and exception that wasn't vital. The price we paid for this is that the Automa sometimes makes stupid moves.

Hope this explanation makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:
Hope this explanation makes sense.

Yup. That gave a nice insight into the reasoning behind how the AI was developed and why it sometimes makes dumb moves (but then, what human player doesn't?).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, last game I played I rushed to the factory and got a factory card that I then proceeded to never use all game. Who am I to criticize the automata's bad decisions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
Hey, last game I played I rushed to the factory and got a factory card that I then proceeded to never use all game. Who am I to criticize the automata's bad decisions?

I've done the same .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:
StormKnight wrote:

I've done the same .

As have I. The second time I did that I thought to myself "Self, this whole race to the factory isn't all it's cracked up to be. How about we ignore that factory next time?" whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.