Anton Elizarov
Russia
St. Petersburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Today my group have played the third scenario, Shattered Bonds, for the first time. Previously we completed scenarios 1 & 2 and thoroughly enjoyed our time with the second edition of Mansions.

I'd like to discuss the endgame of Shattered Bonds below and hear about your experiences with this particular scenario. Heavy spoilers below!

Spoiler (click to reveal)
In the first few turns we learnt about the necklaces made from particular stone and it became clear that we're required to gather 4+ necklaces/stones to advance in the scenario. Once we had 4, one of our brave investigators solved the puzzle which spawned a Star Spawn (who else?!), so that and our mission became to defeat the monster.

Our Star Spawn had 36 health (there were 5 investigators). Moreover, he healed 8 damage twice during several turns after we managed to wound him. We found the Dynamite that can possibly deal 10 damage and some firearms, but that much health and healing 16 damage deflated our enjoyment of the game really really hard.

We stopped playing a few turns afterwards. 4 out of 5 investigators were insane and it was evident that 1 or 2 of them would suffer horror equal to sanity in the next turn or two.

I understand that the scenario is of the highest difficulty, but that ending, for us, suffered not just from being almost impossible, but from being boring ("here's your final boss with tons of health, kill it"). I honestly hope there's more to the story!

So if you played Shattered Bonds, I'd really like to hear from you:

1) Is that the only possible endgame -- to defeat the Star Spawn?

2) If it is, then is there a way to do it more efficient than attacking him a great many turns in a row with Carbine/guns/spells and a single Dynamite?

3) How/when/how many times does he recover damage?

And a few minor points of interest:
1) How many inhabitants of the house need to die for us to lose the game? I suppose that's one of the triggers.

2) Making "loud noises" in the rooms: is that option only for attracting the monster in his shadow form to a particular room?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
You've put 'SPOILER' in the subject heading so I'm just going to talk openly:

One thing I can suggest to you is playing with fewer investigators (I realize this isn't possible if you have a large group) as the Star Spawn will have less health (24, I think, in our game) and when we fought it with three it did not heal at all. On top of that you only need one Statue piece per investigator (the game scales the objectives) so once you know where they are you can get them relatively quickly (and ignore the more awkward ones like killing Mildred) and take on the Star Spawn with reasonable health and sanity remaining.

We've thoroughly explored both of the scenario variations and found no alternative to attrition to defeat it but as you mentioned, it's probably pretty vital to get the dynamite. Also, use the advantage of knowing where it will spawn to get the jump on it. Have yourselves set up ready, if possible, to get the first attack (we lurked in the hallway beyond the stairs, so the Star Spawn leaves the Ballroom on the Mythos phase, into the Lobby, getting no attacks on us and forcing no horror checks and then all 3 of us hit it on the next investigator phase): Shrivel / Wither, plus carbine, plus dynamite before he starts laying into you gives you a pretty good advantage, especially if you summoned him quickly enough not to be hugely weakened.

Also, be efficient in killing ALL other monsters when they spawn: the last thing you want is other monsters hanging around making things even more difficult when you're facing the Star Spawn.

In terms of failure I believe ALL family members Have to die to outright lose the game, but you need to keep them ALL alive to get the best ending.

I believe making noise only attracts it in its non physical form but then it never occurred to me to try it with the Star Spawn so who knows?

It took us three attempts of this scenario to get the best ending so it's certainly not impossible or over-difficult, but I totally understand if the attritional nature of the final objective wasn't to your taste.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Filpus
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just beat this (but not the best ending) with 2 Investigators, so as far as scaling goes:

We need 3 Stones to finish the statue. The Star Spawn started with 16 Health and did heal once.

Having it heal half its health was a little disheartening, but then I managed to do 8 again with one investigator turn by getting two "deal damage equal to test result plus weapon damage" attacks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Little
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished it on my first try using four investigators. Was very close ending (one investigator eliminated, one wounded, and one both wounded and insane).

Star Spawn had 30 health when it spawned. We needed four pieces to assemble the statue. Unfortunately for us, assembling the statue was almost the last thing we did for that investigator phase (not realizing it summoned the Star Spawn - figured we need to go do something else), so we weren't able to get any attacks in before it started making mince meat of the investigators.

The spawn did not regenerate any health, but did set entire room around it on fire! We got luck with attacks and managed to finish it off with the dynamite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to note that in my 4 player game, the star spawn never recovered at all. wow

We still lost Edna and Gramps though. Gramps fended it of twice on his own though! Tough old geezer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
GregF wrote:
I just beat this (but not the best ending) with 2 Investigators, so as far as scaling goes:

We need 3 Stones to finish the statue. The Star Spawn started with 16 Health and did heal once.

Having it heal half its health was a little disheartening, but then I managed to do 8 again with one investigator turn by getting two "deal damage equal to test result plus weapon damage" attacks.

I have never seen the Star Spawn heal. Is it possible some people just aren't killing it quickly enough? With us it got 2 activations, the first of which it could not damage us as we made sure to be out of range when it spawned, and therefore we did not damage it either (meaning nothing to heal). Then we hit it hard, as outlined in my post above: dynamite, carbine (doing weapon damage of 5) and Shrivelling all in one investigator phase. Then it had it's second activation. Then we finished it off with another round from the carbine (with the other 2 investigators Restrained). The key is to be properly prepared and kill it quickly. With us it had only one possible chance to heal. Make sure all investigators are together when it spawns, just out of range (one room between you) and prepared with the above three items (all of them always available no matter the setup). Also make sure you've killed all other monsters. Remember, you have the advantage of spawning it at your convenience (when you choose to solve the puzzle). It's really worth a turn to prepare properly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J N
msg tools
I played the scenario an hour ago, for the first time.
Solo, with two investigators. I explored the ball room, the dining room, and then went upstairs. There, I found 1 stone in Mildred's bedroom, the other one I got from the old man in the lounge upstairs. I solved the puzzle there (which took a few rounds with only 3 tries per action).
Then I pummled the star spawn with 16 health in the lobby. It healed after round 1, and I used up all of my items, but I beat it down in round 2.

To be honest, I expected a lot more danger for the 5/5-difficulty. But sometimes you are just lucky. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
Casey080 wrote:
I played the scenario an hour ago, for the first time.
Solo, with two investigators. I explored the ball room, the dining room, and then went upstairs. There, I found 1 stone in Mildred's bedroom, the other one I got from the old man in the lounge upstairs. I solved the puzzle there (which took a few rounds with only 3 tries per action).
Then I pummled the star spawn with 16 health in the lobby. It healed after round 1, and I used up all of my items, but I beat it down in round 2.

To be honest, I expected a lot more danger for the 5/5-difficulty. But sometimes you are just lucky. :-)

Did you keep all of the Bechman's safe though?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.