1 Posts

Exodus: Proxima Centauri» Forums » Variants

Subject: Asymmetrical pre-set map rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kvinnherad Brettspelklubb
Norway
flag msg tools
Having played Exodus (with Extinction expansion) several times now, I am looking for an asymmetrical pre-set map to use with it. I had a renaissance with Twilight Imperium III some time ago when I discovered the excellent pre-set maps at www.astralvault.net/games/SA/maps.html and was looking for something similar for Exodus.

I am thinking clustering of phasium planets, adjacent home planets, angry resistance ships blocking CP-rich systems etc. With the asymmetrical pre-set maps for Twilight mentioned above follows a simple (and genius) bidding system that lets you bid at which home tile to start at, where a reward (“CP”) is given to the least bidders, levelling out asymmetrical start positions.

I could of course build a map myself (and will do so I guess), but I was curious if anyone had any experience with this (and maybe a map they wanted to share).

And I should also mention…I really like asymmetrical maps better as those create a more dynamic game. Starting out evenly in the corners (as in standard set-up of Exodus and a lot of other games) tends to define your own part of the map making much of the early game wandering alone exploring and building up. I like the possibility (or threat, need, greed [insert reasons]) of player conflict from round one. Sure, you could argue; “Well, in a standard set-up of Exodus for six players, another player is just three tiles away from the start; there is every option to attack!”. Sure; but why? Attacking another player from the start earning VP destroying his ships is a viable reason, but what if that player was blocking the only path to phasium planets, flanked by angry resistance ships? And he had to travel half the galaxy to reach an axinium planet? And those two CP-planets right between two other players…it will be a mayhem.

You see where I am heading. Conflict. Few/none “natural” borders or defined player areas. No games will ever be the same; another starting position – a new tactic. Or a better one from the same spot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.