7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Computer Based Board Gaming

Subject: Vassal ACTS question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Phillips
United States
flag msg tools
I've recently been getting into a wargame kick and noticed that people quite often use Vassal along with ACTS and dropbox to play. My question is what does ACTS do and why do people use it? Vassal seems to keep track of everything in its log files so why not just use vassal? Also, why use dropbox instead of emailing log files? Sorry if this has been covered before or seems like a stupid questions but i haven't found any definitive answers yet.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeb
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lonestar_ wrote:
I've recently been getting into a wargame kick and noticed that people quite often use Vassal along with ACTS and dropbox to play. My question is what does ACTS do and why do people use it? Vassal seems to keep track of everything in its log files so why not just use vassal? Also, why use dropbox instead of emailing log files? Sorry if this has been covered before or seems like a stupid questions but i haven't found any definitive answers yet.

Thanks

ACTS prevents cheating. Vassal alone allows for a player to litterally continue to make their move then retold their dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Cameron
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As Jeb says, using ACTS prevents your opponent cheating, but at the cost of having to use two separate interfaces (ACTS for the cards and dice; VASSAL for the map and counters).

I am less concerned about the prospect of my opponent cheating than I am with the minor additional hassle presented by the need to use two interfaces.

I figure that if someone wants to win a boardgame by cheatin' on VASSAL, good luck to them. I don't think this has ever happened to me (and believe me, I have lost a LOT of games on VASSAL). But even if it has happened to me, I remain blissfully ignorant, so no harm no foul.

Dropbox takes one (and maybe two) steps out of the process of sending a move.

If you email your opponent, there is no need to attach a file (yes, I am that lazy). So you always save that step.

And if you and your opponent are not in a hurry you don't really need to email your opponent at all (Dropbox notifies you when a new file has been uploaded). So that saves a second step.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Cameron
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Malcolm C wrote:
... using ACTS prevents your opponent cheating ...

Of course, it also prevents me from cheating, so there is that as a downside ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I take it with ACTS, rerolls or just filling in your own value is still fine so long as players agree to it and go through with it in VASSAL?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Cameron
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
I take it with ACTS, rerolls or just filling in your own value is still fine so long as players agree to it and go through with it in VASSAL?

ACTS is a web interface accessible by all players. It keeps a record of everything done in the game except for the location of units and what is happening on the map. So all dice rolls are there in the ACTS record for the game.

So if you, say, roll 2d6 for something when you should have rolled 1d6, the 2d6 roll will be visible. You would then need to work out with your opponent how to fix the mistake. Re-roll it? Use the first of the pair of resulted generated by the 2d6 roller? Whatever the situation, you and your opponent decide, but it is all there in the ACTS interface for that game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patiently waiting for the zombie apocalypse...
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think ACTs works brilliantly with CDGs. It tracks card play and Keeps track of appropriate discards.

I think it's worth using it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.