Subject: Pride, a Most Helpful Sin (First play report) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Atul Deshpande
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Preparation:

Being the owner of the game, and the person most invested in bringing this game to the table, I first set about the task of reading and understanding the rulebook over the week. It involved keeping tabs on BGG to check if others came across any peculiarities which we should as general game players be aware of. This Friday night, I started explaining (stumbling through as I remembered them) gameplay elements to my playgroup over a nice Sri Lankan dinner. They seemed a bit overawed by the overreaching powers of the Sin and its monsters, and were already terrified for their fate. Once back at the game table, explaining the game with the help of the material seemed to calm their nerves a bit. We then had to collectively explain the rules again to the late entrant, but things were well under control for our first mission.

To keep things simple, I brought only the core box, and randomly chose Pride and the Hobos. As recommended elsewhere, we started with the easier Haven's Last Stand for our story of the night. While setting up the game map, some confusion ensued from me misidentifying the Nests as Fire, having totally forgotten the concept of the Nest tokens. A quick reference of the rulebook was enough to rectify this issue, and we were set for our first terror story.

The First Mission - (Pick up 3 upgrades)
The story started with Thorley, Karl (human) and Leah coming into the map. This being the first game of its kind in our group, and I being the only one to have watched a gameplay video, the Sin was quite accommodating at this stage, and helped the heroes take the optimal decisions, more or less ensuring that the players could finish the first mission with very little ill effects from the sin's side other than targeting Leah, the leader. A bad side effect of this was that the already strong Thorley got well decked with three upgrades.

Second Mission - Kill Three Monsters in One Round
At the beginning of the next round, pride raised the Apocalypse track, and brought in Huruk(?), the strength 5 monster. Meanwhile, with the help of Thorley, the heroes very quickly killed three monsters, and Leah got killed in the process, and Morgnana replaced her. The sin could at this point see that the heroes were having quite an easy game, and started focusing on his own game from now on.

Final Mission - Mark Three Monsters, Heroes to Kill Them
Unfortunately, the round wasn't over yet, what with the number of extra turn tokens Leah managed to dish out before dying. Before the final mission, Pride brought the Avatar on the board. Pride decided to mark the Avatar, Controller and Huruk as they were the strongest. Here, Pride committed one tactical blunder in trying a "cluster all marked monsters together" approach, but the monsters all happened to be nearer the heroes themselves. In retrospect, the Pride should have tried to make the heroes move a bit. A few lucky rolls and lack of reaction tokens saw the Avatar and Huruk quickly dying. The Controller, who wasn't in a hero space tried to run away as the last reaction, but was cornered, and with the help of Ravencorp, the heroes could reach him and kill him.

The Heroes had it pretty easy in this story, what with Pride himself helping them along the way, and committing one really big blunder towards the end, but overall, both the heroes and the Sin enjoyed playing the game, with the Sin already scheming for future game plays.

P.S. - In retrospect, the heroes were hooked onto the game at the cost of a little bit of Pride, and Lust avenged Pride quite well in the redemption story in the next session.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Reynolds
United States
Vermontville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice report. I agree with you that helping other players make optimal decisions, even when playing against you, is important when you're the guy who has read up one the rules and strategies and is most prepared to play the game.

Next time, though? Next time you do everything you can to crush their hopes and dreams devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Don't make me exile you.
mbmbmbmbmb
pkreynolds wrote:
Nice report. I agree with you that helping other players make optimal decisions, even when playing against you, is important when you're the guy who has read up one the rules and strategies and is most prepared to play the game.

This is how I handled our first play as well. I made sure they knew what their options were, positioning benefits or detriments, etc. Then after the game we discussed at length where things could or should have been done differently on both sides.

In our second game, not all of the players were experienced, but because some were, I let them make their own decisions.

This worked out REALLY well, and everyone has wanted to play more; despite two hero losses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Bradford
United States
Silverdale
Washington
flag msg tools
Play what you want! Like what you like!
badge
The only cure... is the foot of a Yellowdragon.
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent 'from the trenches' overview! My package should be arriving within the next day or so, and I will remember what I read here. Thank you very much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atul Deshpande
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
In the long run, that one round/game of co-operating Sin play is sure to pay off handsomely. If you scare off the heroes in the first game, they may end up thinking the game is either broken or too heavily favors the sin.
I dislike this aspect of Hunstman1965's gameplay/review video, where the Sin player (who seemed to know the rules most) does not recommend a better course of action for Leah, and she ends up dying as part of the first action/reaction turn itself. That player may probably not have a good feeling coming back to the table for another play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.