Chaosmos» Forums » Reviews

Subject: A great theme-forward game that's an absolute joy to play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Benjamin Wheeler
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Maybe the greatest theme-forward game I've ever played!

Like a simple RPG that incorporates sci-fi fun, battle, bluffing, misdirection, adventure, and survival pressure.

Incredibly well designed and well built. Character pieces are individually designed and sculpted; there are bits of story text all over the place, totally thousands of words. Instructions are well done. Just a phenomenal product.

Accessible to young and inexperienced players, but with some strategic depth for more experienced players.

Has the drawback that each player would do better if they kept lengthy records of what everyone has done, because it would help keep track of which cards are where... so players need to agree to keep the game light and flowing.

The level of complexity is just perfect to bring the scenario to life, but not feel onerously complex. It's like Dominion in its level of complexity, and in how well the cards communicate their roles so you don't have to memorize anything. Some advanced gamers would definitely feel that the core game mechanics are a bit too haphazard and nonlinear; it can feel a bit like Calvinball at times. But I love this balance; no player is more than a few smart or lucky moves from winning, and yet smart strategy and misdirection still matter immensely.

Highly recommend reading William Sleator's "Interstellar Pig" alongside this game; it was the very specific inspiration, and it adds hugely to enjoying the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Succinct and insightful. A useful and entertaining review.

Chaosmos brings to mind the classic Cosmic Encounter... as well as Cosmic Encounter, Cosmic Encounter and Cosmic Encounter.

Except there is something to DO in this world, a focussed goal. The players become deeply immersed in the story of their explorations and battles and cons.

Very good game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Radulla wrote:
Chaosmos brings to mind the classic Cosmic Encounter... as well as Cosmic Encounter, Cosmic Encounter and Cosmic Encounter.

Chaosmos was based on a game depicted in a children's book called Interstellar Pig.

It turns out that the game in Interstellar Pig was based on the author's distant memories of Cosmic Encounter :-)

... when I was young I was wanting to make the Interstellar Pig game, but had never heard of any other games than Monopoly, Scrabble and Cluedo ... so I didn't have many ideas on different kinds of gameplay and so I gave up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brw12 wrote:

Highly recommend reading William Sleator's "Interstellar Pig" alongside this game; it was the very specific inspiration, and it adds hugely to enjoying the game.

Thanks for confirming this! I was reading the description of this game and thought "Wait a minute, this sounds a lot like Interstellar Pig..." I might have to pick it up, my son liked that book.

I've never played CE, but I can see the turnabout genesis of IP from CE as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.