Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Abhishek Nayak
India
Bangalore
Karnataka
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm going on a trek with five friends and we are looking for games to carry. I already own Avalon Resistance and Coup, but we're tired of playing them all the time. We enjoy strategy games like Terra Mystica, Agricola and Castles of Burgundy as well as party games like Codenames, Loveletter and Skulls & roses.

Looking for games that need more strategy and skill. Game length isn't a problem since we expect to have a lot of down time on the trek.

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In no particular order, these are the small compact games that i enjoy with my group of 5.

Most are fillers, Citadels is probably the deepest.

Thief's Market
Paperback
Great Wall of China
Cockroach Poker
Citadels
Get Bit!
Walk the Plank!
Roll For It! Deluxe Edition
Bohnanza
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Varboncouer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
When you say trek do you mean something like hiking or will the travel be of the motorized variety?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abhishek Nayak
India
Bangalore
Karnataka
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I mean a hike on foot with backpacks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Incan Gold - 30 minute push-your-luck game. Just a deck of cards and some plastic jewels.

Oh Hell! - played with a standard deck of cards. Every round, you have to bid how many tricks you are going to win. Lots of fun.

+1 Citadels

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Grizzled

and the expansion makes it better and most importantly, fits in the original game box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wilder
Canada
North York
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Splendor can be collapsed down to pretty small.

Hanabi is small.

I think most other good games are not what I would consider portable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wilder
Canada
North York
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, someone mentioned Citadels.
I love that game so I don't know how I forget (but I usually don't consider it taking too much strategy, but maybe that is just because I am not good)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abhishek Nayak
India
Bangalore
Karnataka
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Citadels looks great! Going to buy this for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Varboncouer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Personally, I try to reduce every ounce when hiking and dont want anything worth any money ruined. I am guessing you want something more involved than what I am going to propose but. . .

2 standard deck of cards marked up with numbers from 1 to 104 in style of 6 nimmt!

Here are some games you could play with 5 players with this setup:
Oh Hell!
Rummy
Indian Chief
Cockroach Poker
6 nimmt!
The Game

If you split up or if someone sits out then there is a ton more games available to play (5 players doesnt seem to be the best number for traditional card games).

If you are willing to each bring a different colored set of mini poker chips, you can also play No Thanks! and a ton of different varieties of Poker.

And if you are willing to carry a little more weight than a dice setup similar to below with laminated score cards, dry erase markers, and 8 dice (blue, green, red, yellow, purple, orange, and two white) to play:
Qwixx
Qwinto
Rolling America
Reiner Knizia's Decathlon
Farkle
Yahtzee
I know the last two arent popular but you would already have the dice. I would probably leave the dice cup behind but the felt dice tray isnt too much weight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linda Chov
China
BEIJING
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spyrium can be pretty small I think. Deeper than almost everything listed above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linn _
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
+1 Bohnanza

Carcassonne and Carcassonne: Expansion 1 – Inns & Cathedrals for the additional tiles with minimal space (if you do not have access to a large flat surface, ignore this suggestion - Carc on bumpy ground is no fun)

Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age + Expansions if you want a dice game. If you can store one whiteboard marker and five laminated sheets, it's even much much smaller.
[Aside: I made double-sided laminate sheets that have a scorepad on one side and the player board on the other. Takes less space, but the smudging can be problematic. Using the actual boards and pegs is way more fun.]

+ Jaipur for two players

+ any game with a standard deck of cards: Oh Hell, Poker, Bridge for the four of you that want to play, etc.

I actually have this entire collection stored in one cloth grab-bag for my wife and I for summer activities (Bean Game, Carc, full board and pegs for Roll, Jaipur, deck). It is slightly smaller than a one-gallon ziploc bag when full, easy to slide in a backpack, various skills and luck components for players, moderate weather concerns).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Smith

Colchester
essex
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fleet with Fleet: Arctic Bounty are fun. Pretty sure Tiny Epic Kingdoms: Heroes' Call plays well with 5.
If you photo copy the player mats Peloponnes travels well too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The Pack O Game series.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
areyabhishek wrote:
Citadels looks great! Going to buy this for sure.

There's a new version coming out soon with some new roles:

Citadels (2016 edition)

I playtested it and would recommend the new version over the current one, however it's not as portable as the role cards are now larger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Burt
United Kingdom
Cambridge
UK
flag msg tools
mb
One Night Ultimate Werewolf.
Just make sure someone has the app for it on their phone.
Great game with 5, and very portable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Page
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Multiuniversum

I like this game a lot. Basically the size of a deck of cards (plus 5 meeples.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
overhaul wrote:

Personally, I try to reduce every ounce when hiking and dont want anything worth any money ruined. I am guessing you want something more involved than what I am going to propose but. . .

Agreed, a couple of packs of playing cards give you lots of options.

+1 for Indian Chief

overhaul wrote:
5 players doesnt seem to be the best number for traditional card games

Sheepshead! The rules are slightly confusing but I learnt it by looking up the rules on line after seeing it recommended on BGG. The rules we use are those on Pagat.com with "called ace" to identify a partner, leasters if no one picks the blind and without any other variants. You could use spare cards or coins for keeping score.

Hearts? I think there are 5p variants but I've only played with 4

If you're carrying playing cards and willing to spilt up then:

Ninety-Nine 3p
Cribbage 2p
German Whist 2p

If the two packs have the same card backs but distinctive fronts (e.g. a normal deck & large index deck) then you can play:

Clubs
Diamonds (if you have something to score, I've not played this)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 One Night Ultimate Werewolf
+1 Citadels
+1 Hanabi

All excellent choices. It's not that you can't go wrong with any of them, but that you've gone wrong if you don't get all of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.