Subject: Don't grab the early lead! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Niclas Matikainen
Sweden
Gävle
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With some players being early for our roleplaying session, we squeezed in a game of Cave Troll. I guess I need to convince the crew to arrive early more often.
We had one new player on board, so the rules had to be explained. Luckily, the rules for Cave Troll are incredibly easy to teach.

My first two cards turned out to be Score a Room and the Barbarian, so at least I got an easy first move. For my second draw I got the Wraith, so another no brainer move right there.
After this, I spent a turn getting two Adventurers into positions, before things got a bit more interesting, as green had played his Dwarf in my vicinity. I used the Wraith to scare said Dwarf into a 5-coin room, sent my Barbarian there, and then Scored that room for 10 points.
Following this, the red player was kind enough to play the fifth Score Icon, so the board scored. This gave me another 13 points and a fairly nice lead.

It also painted a target on my back. The new player (yellow) might have only scored 3 points by now, but he was aware enough to figured out that he needed to stop me from scoring more, so he quietly sent a few Adventurers to contest some of my rooms. Green did the same.
The red player was a lot less quiet, using his Orc to kill two of my Adventurers. I should’ve seen that one coming and moved them away…

This did set me back a lot.

To be honest, I never managed to recover from having those two heroes removed. All other players managed to have at least one big score each after this, even breaking the 20 barrier. Meanwhile, for my best score, I managed to squeeze past 10 points. Barely.
In hindsight, I probably focused too much on moving the few heroes I had on the board, instead of adding new ones. I had five cards left when the game ended.

In the end, I managed to reach 65 points, at least leaving the new player behind me, even if it was just by 2 points. Red got all the way to 79, which in turn was 2 points behind green. The latter had managed to keep a low profile when red and yellow came after me, and my feeble attempts at slowing him had no effect.
It should be noted that red played a late game artifact for very little effect, which would’ve gotten him another 3 points, had he kept it instead. That might’ve been the game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.