$35.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
30 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Australia » ACT (Canberra)

Subject: Unveiling of our first prototype > Board Gaming Table rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Dzuro
Australia
Newcastle
flag msg tools
Hey Guys
The first prototype is finally finished!

We are pretty happy with the results so far albeit from afar. We will have possession of the table in a few weeks so we can examine everything up close then and make changes as needed (if needed). They will only get better as we refine them. The next prototype we will experiment with a sliding grooved outer rail for removable cups and trays.

Comments are welcomed

We made 1 snap on board to show that we can print any game layout and make the table multifunctional or print the layout of your favourite game etc. This is a printed board piece that sits ontop of the blue felt.
I made a blackjack layout / texas holdem layout for the prototype as i figure one of my poker customers would want it. You guys may want a particular board game layout, DM, map etc.

We went with a Neoprene playing surface.

I hope you guys are getting as excited as we are
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Alexander
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
beef
badge
sack
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking great! What size is the playing surface on the proto?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brewer
Australia
DUNLOP
Canberra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks excellent. It also looks expensive!

Can you make these in different heights?

This looks to be about coffee table height. Can they be made at dining table height, and a height suitable for use while standing?

Love the idea of the exchangeable neoprene mats. Something to suit X-Wing, and other space-themed games would be good.

Are there any plans to incorporate under-table drawers, to store basic gaming supplies, such as dice, pencils, rule books, etc?

If you've already covered this elsewhere, can you point me to it? This is the first post I have seen for your product.

Cheers,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Dzuro
Australia
Newcastle
flag msg tools
Hey guys
This is our first attempt, so yes we have tweaks in mind to make them better

The sunken vault game play area size is 5.5 foot long by 3.5 foot wide.

Jeff, i think the angle of the photo is missleading, it is exact dining table height, 30 inches (not coffee table)

Yes we need your help to provide exchangeable mats like X-Wing, DM etc.

Prototype 2 will have the following;

- A grooved wood rail track armrest (the armrest facing your chest) to allowing for add on accessories such as cup holders that can slide left to right, trays with a lip so things dont slide off, boxes etc.

- The option to have a draw add on at the very centre under your table not protruding too far as you dont want it to encroach on your leg/knee space. Was thinking if the table width is around 122cms, a draw around 40cms in the centre shouldnt interfere with leg room. Maybe 70 cms long by 40 cms wide by around 10 cms hight. <YOUR INPUT WOULD BE VALUED HERE>

Dont be afraid to share best ideas guys. We want this to be the perfect table

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Dzuro
Australia
Newcastle
flag msg tools
Nestyr wrote:

Cheers,

Thanks Jeff. This table with the dining top will be under $1000. Hopefully you dont feel thats too expensive
I saw a post in the NSW thread where a guy got a joinery shop to make his one for $2800 (his was hardwood, our prototype is rubberwood)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Mclachlan
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pokershop wrote:
Nestyr wrote:
This looks excellent. It also looks expensive! :)

Cheers,

Thanks Jeff. This table with the dining top will be under $1000. Hopefully you dont feel thats too expensive :)
I saw a post in the NSW thread where a guy got a joinery shop to make his one for $2800 (his was hardwood, our prototype is rubberwood)

Hi Robert, will you have an option for Hardwood?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Mclachlan
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Robert, could you add you website to your profile info?

How to:
Click on "My Geek" - this will take you to your profile
Then click edit pencil for "User Details for ..." at bottom of column.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Dzuro
Australia
Newcastle
flag msg tools
Thanks Paul. Will do in the near future. We will launch a new website soon > GamingTables.com.au
Instead of our current website PokerShop.com.au

Yes HardWood will be a custom option. With a few streamlined size options available. What size were you thinking?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Mclachlan
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pokershop wrote:
With a few streamlined size options available. What size were you thinking?

I haven't thought that far ahead. I admit to being keen to get one of these but would have to remove some furniture from my house to fit it in. Which table to replace, etc.

Horrible first world problems :)

One of the things I am concerned about is being able to take the table topper off by myself. How are you looking to solve this problem?

Cheers

Paul.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Dzuro
Australia
Newcastle
flag msg tools
in the future we will have worked out a great 3 leaf system to handle any spills to not seep through
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Dzuro
Australia
Newcastle
flag msg tools
emplion wrote:
pokershop wrote:

I haven't thought that far ahead. I admit to being keen to get one of these but would have to remove some furniture from my house to fit it in. Which table to replace, etc.

Horrible first world problems

One of the things I am concerned about is being able to take the table topper off by myself. How are you looking to solve this problem?

Cheers

Paul.

But i personally prefer 1 piece table toppers and as we all want the topper to be quality and to be able to support leaning on and eating on it unfortunately would mean a 2 person lift if we stick to rubberwood. mdf is half as heavy but it cheapens the look. So the only alternative i see is having a 3 leaf system but then you have to worry about devising a system that doesnt allow water to seep through. First world problems i agree
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Cr
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
No theme = fail
badge
Choices create the illusion of control
mbmbmbmbmb
pokershop wrote:
emplion wrote:
pokershop wrote:

Horrible first world problems

Cheers

Paul.

But i personally prefer 1 piece table toppers and as we all want the topper to be quality and to be able to support leaning on and eating on it unfortunately would mean a 2 person lift if we stick to rubberwood. mdf is half as heavy but it cheapens the look. So the only alternative i see is having a 3 leaf system but then you have to worry about devising a system that doesnt allow water to seep through. First world problems i agree

I really like what I see and I would definitely consider buying one of these. A couple of comments:

- hardwood option would be great
- the more seamless you can make the dining topper the better as I would use it for both (in fact it would get more use as a dining table than a gaming table)
- the shallower you can make the height differential between the playing surface and the top of the table the better (in my opinion). I would use it to play a lot of board games and the surface needs to be sufficiently accessible so that people can see what is in front of them. The less wasted playing space around the edges, the better. Some games are BIG and playing on a normal size dining table often sees the whole space used right up to the edge. At the moment, I use a playmat which covers the whole tabs right up to the edge (similar size to this table).
- to get this into my house I would have to replace my current dining table and to this end I would also be looking at matching chairs. If you had an option to sell it with decent quality chairs made of the same matching wood then that would be even better. I wouldn't mind paying extra for quality and with a matching set of chairs.
- regarding playing surface, I play a lot of different games, most of which don't need a specific playing surface (ie board games) so I'm generally not fussed about specific gaming layouts - just a generic surface would work (in a neutral colour). But that's just me.
- under table space would be nice but not essential in my view. Most gamers I know have very large game collections so usually have dedicated storage space for their games and pieces. Having said that if basic space can be incorporated without encroaching on the day to day use (eg as a dining table) then it would still be a good thing.
- the cup holders are great
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brewer
Australia
DUNLOP
Canberra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pokershop wrote:
Nestyr wrote:

Cheers,

Thanks Jeff. This table with the dining top will be under $1000. Hopefully you dont feel thats too expensive

Nope. $1,000 is a great price for a dining table-sized unit.

Apologies for my error with the size earlier. On reflection, yes, it does look appropriately sized for a dining table... Sorry about that.

I keep saying I need to gut and redo my game room. This might be the incentive I need to get on with it.

Cheers,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cassill
Australia
Canberra
Australian Capital Territory
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks great, definitely considering getting one! For me it comes down to style/décor, size and cost (in that order).

I participated in the poll. Will there still (eventually - I understand this is still early stages)be a choice of colours and styles?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Dzuro
Australia
Newcastle
flag msg tools
Hi Cassill
Yes most certainly, there will be at least 3 colours, maybe 4 if we get enough orders.

Hard wood will be available as a custom option
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loc .
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools

I'm happy to play test it if you bring it to my house.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Mclachlan
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
do you have space...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Hurman
Australia
Oxley
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is awful but I will do you a solid and take it away for you. No need to thank me. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Dzuro
Australia
Newcastle
flag msg tools
Next Update:

Were currently in the design/cad phase of prototype 2. We plan to commence building within a week and show you pics within 2 weeks

What do you guys think of this for strategy and names;

3 pricing tiers;

solid/sturdy MDF
Quality Rubberwood
HARDWOOD

Sizes/names;

The Barron: coffee table 80cm x 110cms sunken vault area
The Duke: 3.5 x 5.5 sunken vault
The Grand Duke: 4 x 6 sunken vault
The ArchDuke: 4 x 8 sunken vault
Emperor or Emporess: 4 x 6 sunken vault with LED lighting (in 2017)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Mclachlan
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really good to have a number of options. Names are cool and give an idea of size.

Instead of Emperor or Empress go with Prince or Princess and call the lot "The Noble Range".

If you then go for another range in the future you could call it "The Monarch Range" and use King, Queen, Khaleesi :), Emperor, Empress, etc.

Cheers

Paul.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Hurman
Australia
Oxley
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LEDs are a bit gimmicky I think so not sure how well that would sell (don't know if that was in your survey). You've also then got to either get a power cord to the table (which is messy and a possible trip hazard) or replace batteries (which lazy people like me don't want to do).

I like the idea of these tables but we have a square 8 person dining table and it is very functional for our space and(non board game) circumstances. I will continue to watch enviously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cassill
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a reason there is no dining table smaller than 3.5x5.5 being provided? I guess not as much interest? I understand it may not be commercially viable to provide these though, I just thought I say some smaller sizes in the poll.

I live in an apartment and storage of games as well as dining table space is at a premium.

A compact <280cm x <150cm with an innovating space saving design and contemporary 'IKEA' look would be an instant buy for me and may get popularity more broadly (due to its flexibility in storage for other goods, such as dishes etc).

As stated above, I understand if this cannot be done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Dzuro
Australia
Newcastle
flag msg tools
dradice wrote:
Is there a reason there is no dining table smaller than 3.5x5.5 being provided? I guess not as much interest? I understand it may not be commercially viable to provide these though, I just thought I say some smaller sizes in the poll.

I live in an apartment and storage of games as well as dining table space is at a premium.

A compact <280cm x <150cm with an innovating space saving design and contemporary 'IKEA' look would be an instant buy for me and may get popularity more broadly (due to its flexibility in storage for other goods, such as dishes etc).

Hi Cassill
Sorry that should have read that we will launch with those sizes and then add more sizes as we grow. On launch we need to have the 2 or 3 most popular selling sizes to allow us to grow and get better.

I have an idea for a compact folding version but it wont be cheap. There is an interesting German company that are doing wonders in this area. So again it wont be on launch and id like to experiment in 2017 to get the compact version down cheaper.

We will have a 3x5 version for sure, but not in 2016 it seems. Early next year we hope if sales go well.

We also will have a custom ordering page too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cassill
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pokershop wrote:
dradice wrote:

Hi Cassill
Sorry that should have read that we will launch with those sizes and then add more sizes as we grow. On launch we need to have the 2 or 3 most popular selling sizes to allow us to grow and get better.

I have an idea for a compact folding version but it wont be cheap. There is an interesting German company that are doing wonders in this area. So again it wont be on launch and id like to experiment in 2017 to get the compact version down cheaper.

We will have a 3x5 version for sure, but not in 2016 it seems. Early next year we hope if sales go well.

We also will have a custom ordering page too.

Thanks for the info Robert.

Completely understand and I will definitely keep an eye out in the future to see what you come up with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Dzuro
Australia
Newcastle
flag msg tools
Guys,
Please tell me all the useful accessories that can go in and out of the railed track;

- removable cup holders

- removable wine glass holders

- removable tray (i was thinking an ipad sort of size or a tad bigger??) tray to have a subtle lip so things cant slide off. also i was thinking to have a thin groove line to be able to hold your cards upright is that good?

- removable bin

Other Optional Accessories;

- Clear Acrylic sheet

- Suction cup to lift sheet

- Under the table storage (ensuring it wont impact or encroach on your leg room, was thinking something like 70 cms x 35 cms x 15cms high directly in the centre of the under table as an added option)

- Would the option to have multiple phone chargers on the table be of interest?

Anything else???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.