Popular Tags: [View All]
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since this is pretty recent I'll use Pandemic: Reign of Cthulhu as an example.

I have played Pandemic A few times and its just not my cup of tea but then I got a chance to play Pandemic: The Cure and I really liked that. Last week I caught a review on YouTube of Pandemic:Reign of Cthulhu and I instantly felt like I would enjoy this game. I watched Rahdo's run through and was hooked, I pre-ordered it and will have it by mid Sept.

It didn't bother me one bit that it was Pandemic (re-skinned) because the Lovecraft theme held my interest much like Pandemic the Cure held my interest due to the dice aspect of the game.

What is your opinion about games re-skinned and can you name a few that were re-skinned that either liked or disliked?

One more, Risk Express re-skinned as Age of War, personally, I would like to own Risk Express, it just looks cooler.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The new version of Odin's Ravens (second edition) has some rules changes from the first edition. I couldn't get my hands on a copy of the first edition, so I bought the second. However I think I liked the rules of the first edition better.

Traders of Osaka is the newer version of Traders of Carthage. Again, I own the second edition. But, never having played the first edition, I don't know if anything was changed other than the name.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pas L
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Nothing will come of nothing.
badge
Speak again.
mb
See microbadges.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
I bought Rex: Final Days of an Empire because of my deep and abiding love for Dune, and the fact that it doesn't look like the Herbert estate will ever let the latter be reprinted again. I pretty quickly decided that the game just wasn't the same without the original theme, and printed up stickers to convert my copy of Rex back into Dune.

Regarding reskins in general; if two games are identical except for theme, I don't think I'd ever buy both of them. I'd buy the one whose theme best suits me and leave it at that.

That said, I do own both Doom: tBG and Descent, and love both. While not identical by any means, they are both based off the same core game engine, but the differences are enough to keep them both interesting.

By contrast, I own both Munchkin and Super Munchkin (from the Early Days, many moons ago) and I deeply regret owning both. I don't mind owning ONE, because every now and then we play a game with newbies and Munchkin makes a good gateway, as long as it doesn't overstay its welcome. But I absolutely don't need both. I might have to just toss one out, as I haven't had much luck moving either in trade (to the surprise of no one here, I'm sure.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How do we decide whether a game is a "re-skin" of another game or whether enough changes have been made to make it a distinctly different game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wamsp wrote:
How do we decide whether a game is a "re-skin" of another game or whether enough changes have been made to make it a distinctly different game?
This is the internet, buddy. Just assume it's the opposite of what you wanted to happen and start complaining!

Pete (doesn't want anyone to buck the trend)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer Uchronia to Glory to Rome and really did not like Mottainai.

I'll pick Bling Bling Gemstone over Click Clack Lumberjack just because of the name.

I prefer Strife: Shadows and Steam and Lunarchitects over Strife: Legacy of the Eternals and Glen More respectively because I'm more interested in the fantastical themes than the generic ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop of East Anglia
New Zealand
Lower Hutt, WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
I'm, I'm afraid there's been a mistake. The man who has been speaking to you is an impostor. He is not in fact the Bishop of East Anglia, but a man wanted by the police. I am the Bishop of East Anglia and anyone who doesn't believe me can look me up
badge
Think of me as the Bishop of East Anglia
mbmbmbmb
I think Shogun is an improvement on Wallenstein (first edition)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cathy Calcan
Japan
Yokohama
Kanagawa
flag msg tools
mb
Reiner Knizia's Modern Art, was once rethemed as Stamps, in Japan.
Artwork cards changed to Stamp tiles, bidding icon designs changed, denominations changed($1 chips => 100yen tiles), but the mechanics and rules are the same.

It's funny, in general I don't care much about graphical designs, and I know Modern Art and Stamps are the same game mechanics-wise, but I prefer Stamps much much more than the former.
I don't really know why I feel this way, maybe because my first play of Modern Art was Stamps, but anyway that's my taste.

Too bad Stamps is out of print.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Del Arroz
United States
Danville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think the recent Star Trek: Frontiers is a better Mage Knight Board Game and Star Trek Panic is an improvement on the original as well. With a theme like trek you just gotta be into trek, but the thematic elements they added to them I think they really did well for both of these in particular.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Case
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
calcan wrote:
Reiner Knizia's Modern Art, was once rethemed as Stamps, in Japan.
Artwork cards changed to Stamp tiles, bidding icon designs changed, denominations changed($1 chips => 100yen tiles), but the mechanics and rules are the same.

It's funny, in general I don't care much about graphical designs, and I know Modern Art and Stamps are the same game mechanics-wise, but I prefer Stamps much much more than the former.
I don't really know why I feel this way, maybe because my first play of Modern Art was Stamps, but anyway that's my taste.

Too bad Stamps is out of print.

I have to say ... this looks awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
karl paulsen

Chicago
Illinois
msg tools
mbmb
Battle Sheep looks alot better to me than the original minimalist version "Splits".

Rivers Roads and Rails (not a great game, but I'm still holding out hope that I can modify it to make it good) has such charming art that it far surpasses the original "Connect" or "Contact".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Smith
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Really tempted to get hold of Merchant of Venus (second edition). Best thing about it is they actually added the old version to the new game too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
wamsp wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_know_it_when_I_see_it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GitFeatures wrote:
Really tempted to get hold of Merchant of Venus (second edition). Best thing about it is they actually added the old version to the new game too.

No, no they didn't. They included a version they called "classic" but still isn't remotely the old version (which, parenthetically, is still the best).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Smith
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Gyges wrote:
GitFeatures wrote:

No, no they didn't. They included a version they called "classic" but still isn't remotely the old version (which, parenthetically, is still the best).

Oh dear I was hoping to play another game just like the one me and my brother played in the early 90's ? . Thanks for the warning , I will read a few reviews from its game forum to see if it still plays similar .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Bennett
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred.
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the "re-skinned" games I've played were PNP versions of OOP games with new art. My favorites are the Sisk / Ferreira photographic version of Black Vienna and Motel Life, Kwanchai Moriya's wonderfully cartoony take on the hard-to-find Hotel Life. Both are lots of fun in VERY different ways...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stewi wrote:
I bought Rex: Final Days of an Empire because of my deep and abiding love for Dune, and the fact that it doesn't look like the Herbert estate will ever let the latter be reprinted again.

I like Rex a lot. I wish FFG could have recaptured the Dune theme but I'm just happy that this great game was finally given new life, whatever the form it had to take. Twilight Imperium was a decent choice and I think the game works just fine with it.

I liked the Street Fighter re-skin of the DC Comics Deck-Building Game, mostly because I like Street Fighter and I like the much more aggressive play style of that version.

Arena of the Planeswalkers is a good re-skin of Heroscape, even if it doesn't have near the "toy-factor" that it's ancestor does.

Thunder & Lightning works for me as a re-skin of Hera and Zeus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pas L
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Nothing will come of nothing.
badge
Speak again.
mb
Webhead123 wrote:
Stewi wrote:
I bought Rex: Final Days of an Empire because of my deep and abiding love for Dune, and the fact that it doesn't look like the Herbert estate will ever let the latter be reprinted again.

I like Rex a lot. I wish FFG could have recaptured the Dune theme but I'm just happy that this great game was finally given new life, whatever the form it had to take. Twilight Imperium was a decent choice and I think the game works just fine with it.

I liked the Street Fighter re-skin of the DC Comics Deck-Building Game, mostly because I like Street Fighter and I like the much more aggressive play style of that version.

Arena of the Planeswalkers is a good re-skin of Heroscape, even if it doesn't have near the "toy-factor" that it's ancestor does.

Thunder & Lightning works for me as a re-skin of Hera and Zeus.

The only bad thing about Rex is the stupid board design they went with. Dune would be better thematically, but FFG still dropped the ball slightly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
Webhead123 wrote:

Oh, I agree. The game play is almost entirely the same and TI is a perfectly suited setting to retheme Dune, if you have to retheme it. (And FFG did have to retheme it, as Brian Herbert was apparently unwilling to play ball.)

But despite them doing everything they could right, it just wasn't the same, you know? I had to go back.

(I wasn't a super huge fan of the new board design, but I wasn't exactly surprised by it, either. FFG was already well known for the "portal-space" design philosophy.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like board games more than most people.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
mbmbmbmbmb
Born-of-Ashes wrote:
I'll pick Bling Bling Gemstone over Click Clack Lumberjack just because of the name.

Wow, I'm just the opposite here due to the rhyme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like board games more than most people.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
mbmbmbmbmb
captkiddeo wrote:
Kwanchai Moriya's wonderfully cartoony take

His Neolithic Ops beats every version of Nexus Ops out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, I liked Baker's Dozen better than Poison since the former was MUCH cheaper. Not to mention the box was nice and compact.

Born-of-Ashes wrote:
I prefer Uchronia to Glory to Rome and really did not like Mottainai.

Does this count? They're actually different enough to me to be 2 different games, even though there are some similarities that will help learning one knowing the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
GitFeatures wrote:
Gyges wrote:
GitFeatures wrote:

Oh dear I was hoping to play another game just like the one me and my brother played in the early 90's ? . Thanks for the warning , I will read a few reviews from its game forum to see if it still plays similar .

Nope... it IS the classic version. Just with new components.

There are a couple of minor changes to the old game (really minor). Most were changes that the original designer mentioned should have been in the old version.

The only major change is that the new version only supports 4 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game is a much better game overall than Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.