Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
For me:

changerbots: Very strong

star roamers: Good support faction

astroknight: Average

ignobles: BAD! (great on paper but bad in practice )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Anonymous
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the set, but I have a question I'm sure you won't
mind answering. How (officially) do you choose a base at random?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim D
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
imfrumlakewood wrote:

The same way as you choose a random minion on a base in Munchkin:Smash Up (for hippogriff's ability): there, the official answer from AEG was: whichever way works for you.
(Dice, random.org, picking up cards and shuffling them, shuffling other placeholder cards - we're not using pirates this game so i shuffle 3 pirate cards together and if i draw the dinghy it selects base A, if the first mate it selects base B, etc)

Personally, i use this: i pick 2 VP tokens from each set (they are slightly distinct), put one of the tokens next to the possible targets, shuffle the other tokens in a baggy and draw one.
The card with the same token next to it is selected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kapish
United States
Brunswick
Ohio
flag msg tools
Total unplayed games in my collection: 7
mbmbmbmbmb
imfrumlakewood wrote:

Roundom …the answer to everything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Matteo
msg tools
mbmb
Changerbots: A tad clunky (no pun intended), but tons of fun either way.
They have a lot of literal power drops (ie: Bruiser, The Touch), and a touch of movement (ie: Huffie, Flighterizer). I just feel the "Talent = Transform" stuff could've been expanded on more, but then I'm just nitpicking. They have strong individual pieces, but no real gameplan. In a way they're very reminiscent of the core set (in a good way). Solid B tier. Bonus points for the best card names in the expansion XD

Astroknights: Strong in most areas.
Their inconsistencies of 10 unique minions is leveled out with the amount of digging cards they have sprinkled in (ie: Space Knight, Mannersbot, Prepare for Battle). Being able to chain specials before a base scores using cards like Block the Probe, Alien Guru & Walking Carpet is also really good. The only random one is Pupoks. It's a good ability, but willingly losing VP is something that I'm usually not willing to gamble on. Either top of B tier of bottom rung of A tier. My only regret is we don't have x3 Lazer Swords so I can't make a Grievous Baboom cry

Ignobles: I've had a hard time figuring these guys out, but my close friend gets them & has helped me explain.
Basically, a few of their cards are red herrings. People will want to loop Activate the Spy & Repaying Debts, but all that does is eat 2 cards & your action for the turn, and Betrothed is more of a last-ditch effort ability if you know you can't win. The idea isn't to keep things in your opponent's keep until the last second, but to use them to swing power to your side. Foot of the King is the real MVP of the deck, and their disruption actions + Repaying Debts are meant to get you to him faster. The deck sometimes has to intentionally play at a slower pace to get the full effect, but from what I know of GoT that's pretty flavorful. Mix with Ghosts or Tornadoes for more unique interactions. High C tier. Also has the benefit if literally laugh-out-loud artwork

Starroamers: Step aside Spies & Fairies, possibly the best support faction in the game is here!
Engineer lets your deck play on an entirely different level. Ship's Captian is best when he recruits your partner faction's boss, which you can then recycle the whole game with 'Port Me Up. Science Officer allows for abusing on-play abilities in your partner faction, or spreading your resources around the board. Why only travel to where no one has been before; Why not just travel everywhere?? Lets you search for & reuse the best pieces of your partner deck, but not in the overbearing way Zombies do. Solid A tier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mrs. Moser

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmb
I feel like ignobles will be more strategical and may take a while to catch on. Same thing with ghosts, most people just don't understand them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Slusser
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
On Star Roamers:

Just to explicitly point it out, Ship's Engineer synergizes very well with other cards. Science Officer means you have a Talent where you can move a minion to play an extra minion. Medical Officer means if another minion would be destroyed, you can just move it to another base. (And Ensigns can protect your Medical Officer.) Port Me Up means you can move a minion to another base from a scoring base.

On Ignobles:

I think some people are mistaken about the strengths of the Ignobles faction. It doesn't seem to me to be necessarily last moment trickery. It's just the fact that they have 6 extra minion plays, a Talent that gives them an extra action and an extra card draw, three cards that give an extra Victory Point, and a card that takes control of another player's minion.

On Astroknights:

I really like how this faction is suited for large come from behind victories on bases. It fits with the theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johny D
msg tools
mbmbmb
Played 8 games so far (with 3 and 4 players) while including the new set and I must say: "WTF they are thinking?"

Starroamers
Best support faction that can recycle almost indefinitely. Excellent board spread, good card management and tons of abuse for some already top mechanics (on play abilities and card draw). They simply break the game in so many areas.

Changerbots

The new A grade power faction. Extremely powerful and durable. For a horse power faction they have too much mobility and they outshine by a large margin all the power factions

Astroknights
Above average level as a faction and enablers of some broken combos. Huge power swingers and also create a very unpredictable environment. Another game breaking faction

Ignobles

To compensate the power level of the other faction, this is the black sheep from the set. They look good on paper, but in an actual game they are similar in power level with elves and innsmouth (and this comes from a ghost master player). They have a lot of disruption and flexibility but they are prone to bad draws and card destruction

So far, I really don't like at all this set. It ups the power level in a bad way, while creating a strong need for counter picking (that invade abusesoblue.... insane base changesgulp, or that stupid science officeryuk)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Immortal
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
yea changerbots are so OP. The first one to pick them is probably going to win.

Playtesters said that ignobles were really fun to test but forgot to tell us that they were pretty bad too lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim D
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nightwishpower wrote:

Playtesters said that ignobles were really fun to test but forgot to tell us that they were pretty bad too lol

I don't think they are bad. I used to think they were, until I played more and more games with them, and I saw my playtest colleagues play with them.

They key is to know when to give away one of your minions, and when not to. Most of the abilities say: you may.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stavros tsiakalos
msg tools
I am looking forward to playing Ignoble Elves. Mind you, only in a 4 player match

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vespert Ilio
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
nightwishpower wrote:

Ghosts triggered a similar reaction when they first came out. But like the Ignobles now, they are tricky to use, rather than just bad. In our playtest team, if I recall correctly, they did bad at the beginning, but after several plays, as we understood how they work, they fared really well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raistlin
Italy
Torino
Torino
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did few matches for now, but I clearly see that Star Roamers are exceptionally good. I start to think they are overpowered but I have to play again. The teleport mechanic works too much well and Ship's Captain is a beast - the stronger single drop in the game I'd say: a 5 + 3 power minion play in one turn. It's stronger than a T-Rex in power and with the ability of the tutored minion!

Astroknights are also very very good it seems. Good drawing and strong power boost combos, specially during base scoring (I've seen them go up to 12-14 power easily in one turn).

Changerbot haven't impressed me a lot for now.

Ignobles are... ignobles. And not in a good way, unfortunately. I think it's a poor deck that requires some heavy tweaks to work.

Andrè Oliveira, my friend, I feel we have to be prepared for a looong tweaking job here - that's also a a fun divertissement for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Spangler
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't found anything to beat the Star Roamers/Aliens deck. They combo CRAZY well with each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Oliveira
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RaistlinMajere wrote:
I did few matches for now, but I clearly see that Star Roamers are exceptionally good. I start to think they are overpowered but I have to play again. The teleport mechanic works too much well and Ship's Captain is a beast - the stronger single drop in the game I'd say: a 5 + 3 power minion play in one turn. It's stronger than a T-Rex in power and with the ability of the tutored minion!

Astroknights are also very very good it seems. Good drawing and strong power boost combos, specially during base scoring (I've seen them go up to 12-14 power easily in one turn).

Changerbot haven't impressed me a lot for now.

Ignobles are... ignobles. And not in a good way, unfortunately. I think it's a poor deck that requires some heavy tweaks to work.

Andrè Oliveira, my friend, I feel we have to be prepared for a looong tweaking job here - that's also a a fun divertissement for me.

I'm not 100% sure I want this set - That being said we've discussed some stuff here (RaistlinMajere balance patch).

That being said I have to sgree with Daniel Matteo
Changerbot "transform" gimmick could have been better. Looking at the cards the deck feels like a mix of horses and dinossaurs - Specially horses who are also about power and movement.

Starroammers seems really good... Maybe a couple of nerfs would be good. Or a restriction on their "ship" i.e. the base where their officers/staff are (Move into or away from it and protect people outside the base).

Ignobles - Now this deck needs several things. Or rather can use several things. However they are terrible at power drop (which is the main way to win bases)
Betrothedx3 is really impressive, but you really need a safe weak minion to abuse it (or people will kick you out of the base) - preferably Gamer Guru or Dork Orc - or enough swarm to be able to play a weak minion in addition to it (halflings and robots come to mind).
You also need some minion cards - time travellers or aliens (inssmouth would if it wasn't so bad) come to mind to help on the squire problem. Or the the plain wizards, for extra cards to combo around and get the foot.

Astroknights seems a bit bland to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raistlin
Italy
Torino
Torino
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played again this week. I tried a strong pair vs. Star Roamers & Astroknights: I took Zombies & Steampunk.

Note: Star Roamers had the 3 tweaks I posted on my topic of tweaks for the game.

The result was 1-1. I Lost the first match and won the second. Both matches were really tough, with great plays from both sides.

Anyway I have to test again Ignobles after my tweaks, to see if Ignobles now stand a chance or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Matteo
msg tools
mbmb
For you guys playing with all the Erratas:

Not to be that guy, but I really think you guys should try experimenting with the new decks more before worrying how to fix them. Yeah Ignobles are tricky, but since they've been released I'm really understanding & enjoying how they work. Using them with a deck that can give power buffs through actions & can protect Foot of the King I've found work the best (ie: Superheroes, Dinosaurs, Shapeshifters, etc.) People were the same way about Ghosts for a while when they first came out, but a lot of people who have stuck with the game feel that they're actually really strong once you understand them. I have a feeling the Ignobles will age well too.

They've been out for less than a month, try giving them another chance, or letting other people in your playgroup use them, or playing with a different number of players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.