Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Bailey
United States
Warner Robins
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
“I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it.” ― Terry Pratchett
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey,

I'm playing the 1st legend, and I'm really confused about monster willpower. I've set the Gor willpower track to 4 as per the instructions. But how do I track the damage if I've hit but not killed more than 1 Gor?

Can I only attack one at a time until it's dead and then reset the counter to 4? Do I set their willpower to 4 per Gor (so 16)? Both of those options seem silly and counterintuitive, but I can't figure out another way to track separate damage.

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bailey
United States
Warner Robins
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
“I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it.” ― Terry Pratchett
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, out of frustration I looked at the End of Battle card. That seems to suggest that if you don't kill a gor by the end of the day, it resets to 4. Is that correct? If so, how do you track damage to multiple gor?

And why in the hell would you put important information like that on a separate card instead of the board that seems to be created specifically to explain how an introductory battle works.

I think I'm going to like the game, but that's a really crappy design choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Campbell
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
An enemy is either killed during a battle or its willpower is reset at the end of battle, not end of day. Thus there is no tracking of damage to multiple enemies. From the Reference Manual (Kosmos Edition) Page 3, left column, last paragraph in 'The end of the battle':

"If the battle ends without a winner, the creature recovers. When it is next attacked, it once again has all of its starting values (see creature display)."

I would continue to play and learn the game before committing a feeling to that design choice, as you might come to realize the game is not entirely what it appears to be at first

Russ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dbailey wrote:
I think I'm going to like the game, but that's a really crappy design choice.

Perhaps the rules could have been clearer, but I think it's a great design choice. The team can only battle one monster at a time, so its stats can easily be tracked (and don't need to be remembered).

Note that a battle against a monster can span multiple turns, so you can hit a single monster a few times in a row, and kill it, before the next player takes their turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is very clearly explained in the Rules Reference if you ask me. Basically, as the other posters have said, each monster recovers their health completely when not killed in a battle. This counts for every monster in the game unless an effect specifically says otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Mahr
Austria
flag msg tools
Life Ain't No Zombiefarm
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
[q="dbailey"]The team can only battle one monster at a time, so its stats can easily be tracked (and don't need to be remembered).

Note that a battle against a monster can span multiple turns, so you can hit a single monster a few times in a row, and kill it, before the next player takes their turn.
That's all correct, but I would use the term "rounds" instead of "turns".

You can either engage a creature with one or multiple characters. Everybody, including the creature takes a "turn" rolling the dice (or die). (During a fight, all characters not engaged are skipped in turn order. Because of that, like mentioned before, there can never be more then one monster engaged in a fight at a time.) Then damage is subtracted. If that is sufficient to decrease the WP of the creature to zero or below, you have won the fight, otherwise you can either withdraw from battle, which results in the creature's recovery, or start a new round, taking over the WP stats of everybody from the previouse round. Don't forget to add another hour for all characters on the hour bar for each round the battle take.

Also, if a character's WP goes to zero, or (s)he can't take another extra hour that day, this character must withdraw from the fight. If this happens to everybody engaged, the fight must be finished and the monster recovers also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bailey
United States
Warner Robins
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fair point. I think I was just excited to get going and was frustrated that I couldn't figure that one point out. I still think it would have made more sense to describe it a little more explicitly on the player aid, though.

That being said, I muddled through and won the first scenario pretty easily. It seems to me that playing the archer made that scenario a lot easier. I'm looking forward to getting my butt handed to me in scenario 2.

As I said before, I'm pretty sure I'm going to enjoy the game. Thanks everyone for the replies and help.

russ_c wrote:
An enemy is either killed during a battle or its willpower is reset at the end of battle, not end of day. Thus there is no tracking of damage to multiple enemies. From the Reference Manual (Kosmos Edition) Page 3, left column, last paragraph in 'The end of the battle':

"If the battle ends without a winner, the creature recovers. When it is next attacked, it once again has all of its starting values (see creature display)."

I would continue to play and learn the game before committing a feeling to that design choice, as you might come to realize the game is not entirely what it appears to be at first

Russ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Yang
Canada
Woodbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dbailey wrote:
how do I track the damage if I've hit but not killed more than 1 Gor? Can I only attack one at a time until it's dead and then reset the counter to 4? Do I set their willpower to 4 per Gor (so 16)? ...but I can't figure out another way to track separate damage.

There will always only be one monster per space, so you would never battle more than 1 gor at a time. When monsters move, they skip over spaces already occupied by a monster and land in the next space as indicated by the arrows on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.