Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

Star Wars: Rebellion» Forums » Strategy

Subject: When to relocate the rebel base? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank Pelkofer
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I narrowly lost as the Rebellion last week. It was clear that the Empire was narrowing in on my location, but I thought I had more time than I did. What are good guidelines on when it's time to relocate?

It seems like any time the Empire plays one of these 3 missions, it means they are getting close and it's time to move, right?

Imperial Intelligence Mission (Rebel player must name 3 systems, one of which is the location of the base)
Homing beacon (Captured leader is rescued and must be relocated to the region that the rebel base is in)
Long Range probe (Rebellion must tell you if the rebel base is in this system)

Any other guidelines people use to keep the Empire guessing? It's hard to know how much information the Empire has. So, I don't think adjacency by itself is a good indicator of whether the Rebel Base is about to receive visitors.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Hope
United States
Woodside
California
flag msg tools
badge
Likes: Mountains, Tundra Turn-offs: Serpents, Marsh
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you should be doing Rapid Mobilization whenever you see a potential game-ending threat two turns away. So adjacency is fine if you can win the land battle (always mindful of Planetary Assault). But I am generally looking to at least perform RM if the Imperials have a good chance of finding it that turn. If they don't, you can always call in troops from elsewhere! And it's probably late enough in the game that you don't really care about the probe deck.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually it's the turn prior to the turn I think I should.
18 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Hope
United States
Woodside
California
flag msg tools
badge
Likes: Mountains, Tundra Turn-offs: Serpents, Marsh
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hah--only when I come back to the thread do I see it's one of my buddies asking! Just kidding, Frank--you should move the base every turn or so.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dawid Cichy
Poland
flag msg tools
Lucky Duck Games
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tompy wrote:
Usually it's the turn prior to the turn I think I should.

^ Exactly. Also you can always pass on your mission to relocate base.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan Meriadoc
France
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ertai_PL wrote:
Tompy wrote:
Usually it's the turn prior to the turn I think I should.

^ Exactly. Also you can always pass on your mission to relocate base.

Or use the opportunity to redeploy troops to your base.
Or use the opportunity to look at 4 probe cards and put them at the BOTTOM of the deck, allowing you to bluff safely on where your base might be.

Plenty of stuff to do with that Rapid Mobilization =)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy B
United Kingdom
Mold
Clwyd
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My friend and I have being playing this a lot and have found that mid to late game, RM should be done every turn. WWe found that it was a parachute in case of unexpected Imperial movement (but not an invasion) or an opportunity to bolster the base. Doing nothing with it was also a valid option.

Tactically, having played the empire mostly, I found that my opponent revealing RM as his first action was quite unsettling. We tried a different approach in one game, not playing RM until it was needed, and I found it much easier to interpret what the Rebels were doing. No real shocks in that game, I crushed him.

Early game, there is not point in using RM. I think you need to start using it once the empire has their fleets abroad (usually mid to late game). Whilst it may feel like you are wasting a leader, don't be fooled. Under that calm exterior, your Imperial opponent is sweating just like you are.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
take into account that RM only works at the end of the turn and that there is no guarantee to find appropriate systems from the drawn probe cards, so sometimes you need to try moving the base 2 turns beforehand.

there are ways to cripple/delay the imperial fleet that is moving towards the base; by surprise attacks (hit and run, planned assault or insurrection) and by sabotaging the systems they pass through so they cant reinforce the fleet with new units directly.

or simply launch a missin in the fleet's system, if they oppose with a leader it will block the fleet from moving.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
stephenhope wrote:
I think you should be doing Rapid Mobilization whenever you see a potential game-ending threat two turns away. So adjacency is fine if you can win the land battle (always mindful of Planetary Assault). But I am generally looking to at least perform RM if the Imperials have a good chance of finding it that turn. If they don't, you can always call in troops from elsewhere! And it's probably late enough in the game that you don't really care about the probe deck.


While you would certainly LIKE to be doing Rapid Mobilization all the time, sometimes you can't spare the leaders, especially early - maybe you have a captured leader and need to assign one or two more this turn to recover them before that Homing Beacon or whatever goes off - or you're just trying to brazen it out by not letting them see you sweat even though the Death Star has been sitting next to the base since turn 1. Though that's more the sort of thing you might do from time to time if you're playing the same person quite a few times like I am with my son, and in my defense it was Malastare (not at all an attractive target) and it did work... until the Homing Beacon got planted on Mon Mothma. Even then I got away since I DID have Rapid Mobilization in the works at that point. It helped that all his probe droid draws were planets he already knew about, so I could have been on any of the populous planets in the region.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Pelkofer
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dystopian wrote:


Or use the opportunity to look at 4 probe cards and put them at the BOTTOM of the deck, allowing you to bluff safely on where your base might be.

Plenty of stuff to do with that Rapid Mobilization =)


Oh. I never even thought that. That's good. Thanks!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Evans
United States
Rossville
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it depends on what you really are trying to do. I try to never play the same strategy each game. I have played a game where I never once played Rapid Mobilization, and another where I did it twice. Once to make them guess they were close, and the second cause they really were. Sometimes it is a great bluff as you can lead them in the entirely wrong direction. The last game I played, I only played it once, and it was 3 turns from the finish (at the time) to try to buy some space. The game ended two turns later as I drew an objective I could easily get by playing defensive.

As far as the other player playing those mission mentioned, I really feel like you have to know the player in question and how they play. Sometimes they could be doing it to get you to think they are narrowing it down. Never forget that part of the game is bluffing.

So really, it all comes down to the way you are wanting to play.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Pelkofer
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Surllio wrote:
I think it depends on what you really are trying to do. I try to never play the same strategy each game. I have played a game where I never once played Rapid Mobilization, and another where I did it twice. Once to make them guess they were close, and the second cause they really were. Sometimes it is a great bluff as you can lead them in the entirely wrong direction. The last game I played, I only played it once, and it was 3 turns from the finish (at the time) to try to buy some space. The game ended two turns later as I drew an objective I could easily get by playing defensive.

As far as the other player playing those mission mentioned, I really feel like you have to know the player in question and how they play. Sometimes they could be doing it to get you to think they are narrowing it down. Never forget that part of the game is bluffing.

So really, it all comes down to the way you are wanting to play.


Thanks for the comments. I agree that being unpredictable is a big asset in this game. I'm just trying to determine a few guidelines that help inform my decisions during the game.

I think the important thing about the missions I mentioned is that they force the rebel player to provide information that is not contained in the probe cards that the Empire owns. This extra information is placed in doubt as soon as the base relocates. So, unless the rebel player has a mission to take probe cards from the Empire, relocating the base seems like the best way to reduce the number of facts that the Empire has about the base's location.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
All Hail Lelouch
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
sooner than you would hope, but later than you would think.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
All Hail Lelouch
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Surllio wrote:
I think it depends on what you really are trying to do. I try to never play the same strategy each game. I have played a game where I never once played Rapid Mobilization, and another where I did it twice. Once to make them guess they were close, and the second cause they really were. Sometimes it is a great bluff as you can lead them in the entirely wrong direction. The last game I played, I only played it once, and it was 3 turns from the finish (at the time) to try to buy some space. The game ended two turns later as I drew an objective I could easily get by playing defensive.



I'm confused. You reveal the old base location and give the probe card to the empire. So you can't bluff about how close they did or didn't get because they would know where your base was.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think he means you reveal Rapid Mobilization even if he isn't near your base to make him think maybe he is.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
All Hail Lelouch
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
ninjamatic3000 wrote:
I think he means you reveal Rapid Mobilization even if he isn't near your base to make him think maybe he is.


Oh... so you reveal RM but don't actually relocate your base. So you fool them for one turn. Could work if you got extra leaders. Which isn't uncommon for the rebels.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It also gives you a little intel about what probe cards the Empire WON'T be seeing any time soon. That can be handy in case of a run-in with an Interrogation Droid.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
All Hail Lelouch
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
demoss1 wrote:
It also gives you a little intel about what probe cards the Empire WON'T be seeing any time soon. That can be handy in case of a run-in with an Interrogation Droid.


Yeah that's usually what I thought the advantage of RM was.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.