Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
The 1998 scenario references ships, but none are in the OB for the scenario.

I note that while this is in the 'future' , only the US has Para forces and Marine landing forces.

The Marines are only usable in NE/SE maps is that correct?

Is the only way to get Japanese forces off Japan by Airlift and therefore NO armour can leave Japan?

Is there Port to Port movement I am just not seeing somewhere?

Chinese Units on the SW map that are not Infantry start game OOS as there is no rail and no Urban center with a rail hex in it on the map in country. Correct?

Same for Mongols per Soviet Supply rules?

What is to stop the US from transfering all Japanese forces to NW map and using them there?

I'm playing the 1998 scenario and the US has no VP interest in Eastern Maps so all US and US allied (JP) foce could arguably be moved West yes?

Same for Soviets on the NE map they have nothing to protect and nothing to do? Or is there some rule somewhere?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Raine
Australia
flag msg tools
Honi soit qui mal y pense, motto of Sydney Uni Rugby Club, est. 1863
badge
General Sir John Monash, victor of Le Hamel
mbmbmbmbmb
Kev, possible answers, with reference to rules sections 9.1, 9.2, 13.1, 13.8, 16.2 & 22.3 (US units set up in Japan).

hipshot wrote:
The 1998 scenario references ships, but none are in the OB for the scenario.

22.3 - the US sets up 2 x [-8-] CVBG naval units in Japan each carrying a fighter bomber unit. See also 22.6 para 10. Why there are only 2, compared to the 7 in the contemporary campaign, would be a design decision Mr Kosnett might comment on.

Quote:
I note that while this is in the 'future' , only the US has Para forces and Marine landing forces.

Yes, except the US 82nd Airborne doesn't appear either. Only the US has Marines in any scenario.

Quote:
The Marines are only usable in NE/SE maps is that correct?

If you mean for an amphib assault, yes. They can fight as ground troops on any map. One starts in Norway.

Quote:
Is the only way to get Japanese forces off Japan by Airlift and therefore NO armour can leave Japan?

No, the Japanese are US allied, and the US player can lift them port to port within a strategic movement grid (SMG) box, without entering the SMG. See 9.21 & 9.23. Se also the reference in 22.6. para 4 - movement from Japan via the US to Europe through sea lift is WAD, but also see the note under table 16.21. A Japanese unit can enter the SMG and be at sea in transit, but not go through the USA boxes.

Quote:
Is there Port to Port movement I am just not seeing somewhere?

See previous response.

Quote:
Chinese Units on the SW map that are not Infantry start game OOS as there is no rail and no Urban center with a rail hex in it on the map in country. Correct? Same for Mongols per Soviet Supply rules?

Not exactly. See 22.6 (3). If they can trace 4 hexes to Urumchi they are supplied, as I understood it, the urban hex being the ultimate source. I agree this is not exactly what the rules say. Problem for the Chinese is, there is no rail net to advance supplies away from the city. On the other hand, the Soviets have no way to supply an incursion into the area, either. That and the Afghanistan no-go rule (that prevents the US using the road though Afghanistan to supply an assault on the Tashkent resource area) make this corner of the SW map a non active zone. In the contemporary campaign the PRC has a dozen or so infantry there to screen the border and that's it.

Quote:
What is to stop the US from transfering all Japanese forces to NW map and using them there?

The restrictions in the National policy Chart - [Headed 16.21 - should be 16.22]. Japan units can only enter the USSR and Mongolia. And they can't be shipped around the world to Murmansk, because they can't enter the USA on the SMG, which does not allow for westward movements via the Indian Ocean. However, you can get the JDF closer to action by shipping them to a USSR port on the NE map.

Quote:
I'm playing the 1998 scenario and the US has no VP interest in Eastern Maps so all US and US allied (JP) foce could arguably be moved West yes?

1. The Canadians and US, yes, but not the JDF.

2. The NE map has a few minor ports, and some minor airbases, no roads that lead from a port to anywhere, the weather is awful, and the Soviets only get air supply to three bases each month. Its only usefulness is that you can maybe land some marines/send hovercraft to capture the minor port in hex 1312, then ship in some Japanese mech infantry units and send them marching OOS across the Ural mountains. They should at least divert some Soviet troops to screen them. Also note that the hovercraft (including the JDF ones) are supplied in coast hexes on the NE/SE map ... so can go all the way to hex NE 1601, and onto the NW map looking to link to the US supply net. It'll take them about a year to get there, but once again they will force the Soviets to spread their resources.

3. The SE map has a half dozen Soviet urban hexes, if you have them the Chinese player does not. If you have 1 of them, the Chinese player cannot win. They also represent 6/40 = 15% of the occupied urban hexes required for a US win. Note those do not need to be on the Western maps.

Quote:

Same for Soviets on the NE map they have nothing to protect and nothing to do? Or is there some rule somewhere?

See previous response; a few units occupying the ports, and a few air units, ought to curb any US adventurism, but if the US really wants to capture Kamchatka (for some unfathomable reason) there's not a lot the Soviet player can do about that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
You sir are awesome. I guess I missed the impact of the National capabilities chart. Did not see its import. Thank goodness. I was beginning to think this was a flakey design. Every thing you have said makes perfect sense.

Re Setup of Naval units I missed that. It just says Naval [-8-]x2 in the rules I have.

But nothing in the North Atlantic/Baltic etc.

I find the lack of Paras and Marines a curious design choice when we are offered optional 'space marines'...

Japanese naval transport - - "OR BETWEEN PORTS" GOT IT!!

- I think the PRC can launch an offensive in the God Forsaken Zone as I call it, using Inf Divisions. I am toying with setting up 10-12 divs there and trying to capture a Urban hex and Rail hex as a hub... Then trying to drive East to capture the required remote Urban centers on the SE map in the SW corner if you follow. Not sure how effective 12-24 combat factors will be but what the heck.

The National Policy chart! Got it. TWW had a similar thing. missed it.

As for the whole NW map thing and strategy. I just dont see the value in the US wasting time there, Those hovercraft belong in the SW! . For the Soviets IF any units managed to rumble out of NE map, you can screen at the far edge of NW yes?!

-The Soviets would likely be well served heading South and smashing up what they can of the Chinese then releasing to the West, guarding against a full Japanese invasion.

Capturing Vladivostok or similar, to block a PRC win ! total dick move. LOVE IT!

Excited to get into this warts and all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Raine
Australia
flag msg tools
Honi soit qui mal y pense, motto of Sydney Uni Rugby Club, est. 1863
badge
General Sir John Monash, victor of Le Hamel
mbmbmbmbmb
hipshot wrote:

- I think the PRC can launch an offensive in the God Forsaken Zone as I call it, using Inf Divisions. I am toying with setting up 10-12 divs there and trying to capture a Urban hex and Rail hex as a hub... Then trying to drive East to capture the required remote Urban centers on the SE map in the SW corner if you follow. Not sure how effective 12-24 combat factors will be but what the heck.

-The Soviets would likely be well served heading South and smashing up what they can of the Chinese then releasing to the West, guarding against a full Japanese invasion.

I can't remember if the Chinese infantry need combat supply from a Chinese urban hex, as opposed to a Soviet one.

On the other hand, The PLA is like the magic pudding. They have a never ending supply* of replacement infantry divisions, which are (mostly) 2 personnel point units. They want the Soviets to attack them and roll exchanges.

[*actually 156 replacements over the course of the scenario for the 93 divisions in the OOB.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, the Chinese have to trace to a Chinese urban hex (6.25), so capturing a Soviet city won't help.

OTOH, being OOS just means fighting at half strength, so if you throw enough units at the problem they can make headway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.