Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: Dealing Enough Damage to tougher Monsters? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
esin .
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
In year 7. Haven't read too far into fights I haven't touched yet but at least peaked at stats for level 2 and 3 monsters.

I balked at the toughness of some of the later monsters! Managed 10 toughness monsters thusfar, but it struck me that not a whole lot of the weapons have strength bonus over 3; meaning wounding 12 toughness will demand a roll of at least 9 to say nothing of 16+ toughness monsters. Sure I've had some characters get a stray strength bonus through an event, but nothing that seemed a reliable method.

How do you usually beef up your strength over a campaign?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Plus you can beef up your survivors. Also don't forget that crits wound even if the stats wouldn't otherwise let you wound, so bonus luck is a way to mitigate over matched fights. And 10s always succeed even if the stats would say otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zen Man
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
esin wrote:
Haven't read too far into fights I haven't touched yet but at least peaked at stats for level 2 and 3 monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
That picture made me laugh

Well, toughness 10+ is scary only at the beginning.

For starters, lots of rare gear that is relatively common will pop up eventually, with STR bonuses like 9.

Second, sword type weapons have usually bonus strength on perfect hit, and there is other equipment in game that causes wounds without rolling in some circumstances (mainly on expansions).

And some monsters have HL that boost your STR (also some that reduce it, but still)

All in all, it scales in a progression that is quite good, when you get the hang of it.

And crits ignore strength, and arrows usually beef your chances... It's a lot to factor, but works nicely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Martyn
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Without spoiling, in my final game all my survivors had between 2 and 4 bonus strength and 1-3 strength tokens. Some had items that gave them bonus strength (monster tooth necklace is a reliable one) as well. They rocked powerful weapons (mostly from expansions, I admit) that were strength 9, 6, 6 and 4 (with the ability to wound without rolling on a perfect hit). So most monster toughness was not a problem to them at all.

I can't promise you'll do so well and I can't give you hints without spoiling but... don't worry. You should be fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't got too far either, but in my experience, it is not uncommon to have survivors with some sort of strength benefit. Add a 3 points weapon like a bone axe and you will damage a toughness 10 guy with +- 6, which is not too bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
t3clis wrote:
That picture made me laugh

Well, toughness 10+ is scary only at the beginning.

For starters, lots of rare gear that is relatively common will pop up eventually, with STR bonuses like 9.

Second, sword type weapons have usually bonus strength on perfect hit, and there is other equipment in game that causes wounds without rolling in some circumstances (mainly on expansions).

And some monsters have HL that boost your STR (also some that reduce it, but still)

All in all, it scales in a progression that is quite good, when you get the hang of it.

And crits ignore strength, and arrows usually beef your chances... It's a lot to factor, but works nicely.

I would also like to add that for such a weapon that says "on a perfect hit gain +4 strength for the rest of the attack" that it stacks. So say you get 2 perfect hits (lantern 10's), then that attack (all to wound rolls against HL) will have +8 strength rather than just +4 str.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonahdel
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
One word: Zanbato.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xairen wrote:
One word: Zanbato.

They're good but TBH I've gone whole campaigns with never making one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
CALCIFIED Zanbato, then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.