Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gator Skin
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just getting started on Close Encounters rules (which I'm playing with the base game's Alien Empire solitaire game). A few questions:

1. If I'm trying to board an enemy fleet (with a "2" counter beneath it) and I succeed, have I just captured all 2 of the enemy fleet, or do I break them into 2 separate units and just capture one?

2. Do the alien fleets start as "Green" or "Skilled"?

3. In the Alien Player Combat Tech Purchasing flowchart, it says "Do not buy Tactics before being Attack 2 and Defense 2." But sometimes, Tactics 1 (15 CP) is the only thing the alien can afford! In that case, should they go ahead and buy it, even if they don't have Attack or Defense? I think so.

4. I'm not sure how the Alien Player Combat Ship Purchasing flowchart jives with the base game rules. Let's say you head down the purchasing list and you have Boarding tech, so you do what the flowchart says and "Buy 2 BDs." Do I then skip way down to "Buy 1 largest ship size available" or do I instead just hop down to the next priority and "Buy 2SC," etc.

Thanks, troopers. Great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. You only capture one ship. Just like normal attacks BD "shots" hit one ship, not the entire group.
Attacker picks the target, so if there's a damaged ship in the group you can select to capture a different one.

2. Not sure if it's clearly stated, but to me it makes the most sense to count the ships as being on the map once the fleet is launched. I.e. The round after the fleet launches the ships are green, after that they become skilled (unless military academy is researched)

3. I don't think so, but I also don't think it will ruin the game either way

4. The flowchart replaces the base game instructions. I have always played it as checking every arrow that branches of the main line on the left.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Udu Tont
Estonia
Tartu/Tallinn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great answers, I fully agree!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gator Skin
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
1. You only capture one ship. Just like normal attacks BD "shots" hit one ship, not the entire group.
Attacker picks the target, so if there's a damaged ship in the group you can select to capture a different one.

2. Not sure if it's clearly stated, but to me it makes the most sense to count the ships as being on the map once the fleet is launched. I.e. The round after the fleet launches the ships are green, after that they become skilled (unless military academy is researched)

4. The flowchart replaces the base game instructions. I have always played it as checking every arrow that branches of the main line on the left.

Thanks! My only follow-up is #2. Why would the aliens becoming Skilled after two rounds? I thought the only way to become Skilled was via Academies or destroying another ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gatorskin wrote:
Ze_German_Guy wrote:

Thanks! My only follow-up is #2. Why would the aliens becoming Skilled after two rounds? I thought the only way to become Skilled was via Academies or destroying another ship.
Skilled is the level above green, right? (Don't have the rules in front of me to double check)

Any green ship on the map gets promoted to the next level during the econ phase. So when you build a ship it is green, stays that way for 3 movement phases (assuming no military academy and it isn't promoted via combat) and then gains a minimum level of experience simply by having survived for a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gator Skin
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good gravy, I missed that in the rules! Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.