$5.00
$15.00
$20.00
Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Vast: The Crystal Caverns» Forums » Rules

Subject: Playing Goblins Solo rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ethan Furman
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So I played a solo goblins game, and wanted to make sure my observations are valid.

In solo play:
- most of the monsters aren't useful
- most of the secrets aren't useful
- higher population isn't needed for smashing crystals (although it does
allow tribes to move further through lit tiles)

If all that is true, then I'll just play with the Secrets cards in the future.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
High Frontier PBF #17 - Failing spaceward!
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
Many of the cards become much more situational in solo, but the majority of Monsters can still be useful in one way or another, and at least half of the Secrets cards have value.

Managing your populations becomes especially critical because having a tribe get kicked off the map because it overpopulates can really mess up your timing.

Strategy Tip:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
If a tribe on the map isn't able to attack a crystal on the current turn, it's often in your best interests to run them through a few lit tiles to burn off population so you've got a cushion when drawing war cards on your next turn.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There seem to be different rules on smashing crystals in the solo goblin game: the rulebook says that you need two tribes, while the cheat-sheet says only one tribe. Which is correct?

Also, some of the Monsters can indeed be quite useful.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
High Frontier PBF #17 - Failing spaceward!
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
dthurston wrote:
There seem to be different rules on smashing crystals in the solo goblin game: the rulebook says that you need two tribes, while the cheat-sheet says only one tribe. Which is correct?
Where exactly are you seeing the different text?


I checked the printed rulebook and the rule sheet, and both correctly say it takes two tribes with at least three strength each.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Furman
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Woelf wrote:
I checked the printed rulebook and the rule sheet, and both correctly say it takes two tribes with at least three strength each.


Ah, thanks! I had missed the strength requirement for smashing crystals.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Besser
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Woelf wrote:
Many of the cards become much more situational in solo, but the majority of Monsters can still be useful in one way or another, and at least half of the Secrets cards have value.

Managing your populations becomes especially critical because having a tribe get kicked off the map because it overpopulates can really mess up your timing.

Strategy Tip:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
If a tribe on the map isn't able to attack a crystal on the current turn, it's often in your best interests to run them through a few lit tiles to burn off population so you've got a cushion when drawing war cards on your next turn.

Looking through the secret cards, I find no value in about half of them in the solo game. They all deal with interactions with other players. Would is be better to just remove all of those secret cards from the game in solo, like some of the Knight's side quests are removed (and potentially lower the hand limit of the goblins)?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fenton
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jayelbird wrote:
Looking through the secret cards, I find no value in about half of them in the solo game. They all deal with interactions with other players. Would is be better to just remove all of those secret cards from the game in solo, like some of the Knight's side quests are removed (and potentially lower the hand limit of the goblins)?

I haven't tried a solo Goblin game yet (so I can't say for sure), but I feel like removing half the cards would have a huge affect on gameplay, since "helpful" cards would come up twice as often and greatly ease the challenge. The Sidequests are removed since there's no way to cycle through them (other than completing them), so a uncompletable Sidequest drawn at the beginning of the game would be a permanent disadvantage. A useless Secret or Monster can be replaced in your next turn (using the Eye or Bones tribe special ability. Lowering the hand size does almost nothing, since you can still draw the same number and keep only those you want the most (hand size doesn't affect frequency of getting a useful card...only draw rate does that).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.