13 Posts

Vast: The Crystal Caverns» Forums » Rules

Subject: Playing Goblins Solo rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ethan Furman
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So I played a solo goblins game, and wanted to make sure my observations are valid.

In solo play:
- most of the monsters aren't useful
- most of the secrets aren't useful
- higher population isn't needed for smashing crystals (although it does
allow tribes to move further through lit tiles)

If all that is true, then I'll just play with the Secrets cards in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
High Frontier PBF #17 - Failing spaceward!
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mb
Many of the cards become much more situational in solo, but the majority of Monsters can still be useful in one way or another, and at least half of the Secrets cards have value.

Managing your populations becomes especially critical because having a tribe get kicked off the map because it overpopulates can really mess up your timing.

Strategy Tip:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
If a tribe on the map isn't able to attack a crystal on the current turn, it's often in your best interests to run them through a few lit tiles to burn off population so you've got a cushion when drawing war cards on your next turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There seem to be different rules on smashing crystals in the solo goblin game: the rulebook says that you need two tribes, while the cheat-sheet says only one tribe. Which is correct?

Also, some of the Monsters can indeed be quite useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mb
dthurston wrote:
There seem to be different rules on smashing crystals in the solo goblin game: the rulebook says that you need two tribes, while the cheat-sheet says only one tribe. Which is correct?
Where exactly are you seeing the different text?

I checked the printed rulebook and the rule sheet, and both correctly say it takes two tribes with at least three strength each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Furman
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Woelf wrote:
I checked the printed rulebook and the rule sheet, and both correctly say it takes two tribes with at least three strength each.

Ah, thanks! I had missed the strength requirement for smashing crystals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Besser
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Woelf wrote:
Many of the cards become much more situational in solo, but the majority of Monsters can still be useful in one way or another, and at least half of the Secrets cards have value.

Managing your populations becomes especially critical because having a tribe get kicked off the map because it overpopulates can really mess up your timing.

Strategy Tip:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
If a tribe on the map isn't able to attack a crystal on the current turn, it's often in your best interests to run them through a few lit tiles to burn off population so you've got a cushion when drawing war cards on your next turn.

Looking through the secret cards, I find no value in about half of them in the solo game. They all deal with interactions with other players. Would is be better to just remove all of those secret cards from the game in solo, like some of the Knight's side quests are removed (and potentially lower the hand limit of the goblins)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fenton
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jayelbird wrote:
Looking through the secret cards, I find no value in about half of them in the solo game. They all deal with interactions with other players. Would is be better to just remove all of those secret cards from the game in solo, like some of the Knight's side quests are removed (and potentially lower the hand limit of the goblins)?

I haven't tried a solo Goblin game yet (so I can't say for sure), but I feel like removing half the cards would have a huge affect on gameplay, since "helpful" cards would come up twice as often and greatly ease the challenge. The Sidequests are removed since there's no way to cycle through them (other than completing them), so a uncompletable Sidequest drawn at the beginning of the game would be a permanent disadvantage. A useless Secret or Monster can be replaced in your next turn (using the Eye or Bones tribe special ability. Lowering the hand size does almost nothing, since you can still draw the same number and keep only those you want the most (hand size doesn't affect frequency of getting a useful card...only draw rate does that).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Knopp
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
I know I'm pretty late to this party.

I have some questions on moving and tiles. Here are the ways to move and put down tiles.

1.) the goblins can have the cave put down a tile next to the tile they are on (explore action)

2.) the flare card allows each tribe to roll the dragon dice and reveal dark tiles shown in the pattern on the dice. Obviously if there is not a dark tile on the board that corresponds with the pattern it can't be added or flipped.

3.) At the end of the turn, i add dark tiles equal to the tribe with the highest population.

Now for my questions -

How do Goblin tribes flip dark tiles to their light side?

When adding tiles at the end of my turn, does the tribe have to be revealed or is it the tribe with the highest population regardless of revealed or hidden?

I think my first couple have turn may have contributed to the slow cave expansion. Turn one war card had one population for all tribes. Turn Two had a three, two, one sequence and I destroyed a crystal with two tribes which caused them to scatter, Turn three had zero population but three monsters and three secrets.

I my other question is on the set up when starting solo play with the goblins. Does the set up remain the same with the cave entrance revealed and four dark tiles on each side of it? If the four dark tiles show all but one of the tribe symbols can a tribe start in the lurking position?

I'm sure I'll have more questions as I play, but I appreciate all your help. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
cknopp86 wrote:
How do Goblin tribes flip dark tiles to their light side?
Flare is the only way Goblins can flip tiles on their own. Each Tribe can use it once per turn, so if all three are on the map you can use it up to three times each turn.

Quote:
When adding tiles at the end of my turn, does the tribe have to be revealed or is it the tribe with the highest population regardless of revealed or hidden?
All tribes are considered whether they are revealed or hidden.

Quote:
I think my first couple have turn may have contributed to the slow cave expansion. Turn one war card had one population for all tribes. Turn Two had a three, two, one sequence and I destroyed a crystal with two tribes which caused them to scatter, Turn three had zero population but three monsters and three secrets.
You do have some control over how quickly the cave grows early on by keeping populations low (intentionally running through Lit tiles can be very helpful), but as more crystals get revealed the cave's growth accelerates.

Any time the number of revealed Crystal tiles is greater than the largest Tribe's population, you use that number instead. Once that hits 4, your population doesn't matter because you'll always be adding at least that many for the rest of the game, and that number will only continue to go up as more are revealed and/or collapsed.

Quote:
I my other question is on the set up when starting solo play with the goblins. Does the set up remain the same with the cave entrance revealed and four dark tiles on each side of it?
Correct. The initial map setup is always the same now matter which roles are actually being used.

Quote:
If the four dark tiles show all but one of the tribe symbols can a tribe start in the lurking position?
Tribes that don't have a matching symbol on the map always have the option to lurk. On your next turn if you activate a different Tribe first and it manages to get a tile placed under the lurking Tribe (via Explore or Flare), that lurking Tribe is free to move and activate normally instead of spending its turn moving to an adjacent tile.

An even easier way is to place one of your end-of-turn tiles "under" the lurking Tribe, so it doesn't need help from another Tribe to get started.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Knopp
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
Thanks for your help! I really appreciate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Costanza
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A follow up question regarding the flare: Can a tribe use the flare on the same turn that they reveal and get placed on the map?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Vandeley wrote:
A follow up question regarding the flare: Can a tribe use the flare on the same turn that they reveal and get placed on the map?
No - Flare specifically refers to movement so it can only be used by a Tribe that was already on the map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Costanza
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Great, thanks for the reply!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.