$30.00
Ano Nym
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there,

My group (3 players, all with some experience in Descent 2) have started playing the Imperial Assault campaign and so far the two rebels (Diala and Jyn) have been crushing the Empire (Military Might). Because of this we are considering using two additional heroes in hopes that the game will be more balanced (especially the extreme movement speed from two activation every turn gave the rebels a huge advantage). Here is what happened so far:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
- The rebels had a solid win in "Aftermath" with one round to spare. Jyn got wounded (it was the only time so far, that a hero was wounded). We used the money (650 credits +50 from selling Jyns gun) to buy the DH-44 and the Gaffi Stick. Diala also got "Force Throw". The Imperial player got "Battlefield Medic" and a secret agenda card for 1 Influence.

- "A simple task" was another clear rebel victory, although the primary reason was an insane amount of dodge rolls for Jyn (7 dodges out of 10 defence rolls devil). Jyn got the reward (Adrenalin Implant) and the "Cheap Shot" skill, while Diala got "Force Adept". We saved the 400 credits since we didn't draw any useful items.

- "A new threat" was also won by the rebels. Important factors were, that the rebels got lucky with the colors on the terminals (never had less that 3 dice for attribute checks), that we got good dice rolls whenever it was really important and that the Imperial player made some tactical mistakes while the rebels made none. Also the heroes speed from two activations allowed them to outrun some troopers. We didn't manage to win before the end of round 5 but that's probably close to impossible to do, even under the best of circumstances. We got 500 credits and managed to draw and buy "Tac-Display" and "Balanced Hilt". Jyn got "Smuggler's Luck" and Diala got "Battle Meditation". The Imperial player got "Assault Armor" and the agenda card "Pulling the Strings".

- Next we played Jyn's side mission. With our skills and newly upgraded weapons we didn't have any trouble in winning this one, especially since we had as much time as we needed for Jyn to collect all crates and to regenerate before confronting the main opponent. We got 500 credits. From the tier 2 cards we drew we bought "High-Impact Guard" for Dialas Gaffi Stick. We also paid 300 in order to get rid of the "Pulling the Strings" agenda card. The Imperial player bought the "Dark Obsession" side mission.

- Our last mission (so far) was "Imperial Hospitality". The rebels went straight for the room with the terminal, managed to avoid being stunned by the Royal Guards. After killing all units except for the Officer and one of Royal Guards, Jyn hacked the terminal at the end of round 3 (focussed + reroll = only one attempt necessary for 2 surges). Since neither Jyn nor Diala were close to being wounded at that point and the current threat count was at 5, the Imperial player saw no realistic chance to win the mission and essentially capitulated.

That's what happened so far. Because it isn't really fun for the Imperial player to get crushed in every single mission with no hope in sight of any change, we are considering changing from 2 heroes to 4 heroes. We hope that this will result in a more balanced game. However, I've read on this forum that on some missions, having only 2 heroes is actually an advantage for the Empire. Since the whole point of changing from 2 to 4 heroes is to give the Imperial player a better chance of winning I would like to ask you guys for your advice. Would playing with 4 heroes give the Empire a better chance of winning in the missions to come? (please no spoilers for missions we haven't played yet) Or would it be better for the Imperial player if we stick to playing with two heroes?

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyson K
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe try boosting your threat by one or two for a mission or something
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'd suggest just giving the IP more experience to spend. Try one less then the heroes have gotten so far. That should help even things out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nolan Cluff

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play 2 heroes per player and it works well. IA does have a run away leader problem. We give both sides the winner experi nice every mission to help w balqnce. It works well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Roberts
Australia
Noble Park
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is Imperial Hospitality the mission where

the heroes rescue the Imperial captive?

If so, then the Imperial should not have capitulated because

the Imperial player can win by defeating the freed Rebel captive who has pretty severe movement restrictions and with only two defenders to block attacks the rebels would be at the disadvantage to protect him
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Chokdoke
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
We had a similar issue with 2 heroes so swapped it up to 4 and on the missions where time and movement are essential it did help balance those out a bit more. Also things like healing loads in a mission or just plain using the movement for hit and run to be far away from the imperial player

Also the run away leader problem got more pronounced near the end. The rebels had won so much they had better equipment a huge amount of extras like allies and stuff so in the last few missions we just the imperial player more threat to try and give them more of a challenge.

I would say the imperial player does have a rough time, they really need to be thinking about what the mission is about to throw at the players and plan for that as well. The mission itself is another tool that must always be taken into account!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giannis Tilias
Greece
Thessaloniki
EVOSMOS
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my 1st campaign (i am always the Imperial) i had some problems on my early missions against Diala and Jyn. I realised that both of these heroes depend very much in their strain so i did my best to keep them strained and never lose too many forces in one round and i managed to counter their early lead of 1-4 to 5-6 and now we are on the last mission.

On my 2nd campaign i was struggling even more against 3 players (garkhaan, biv, diala). I realised that i need to change my strategy completely to even stand a chance. After a crushing march from the rebels and a lead of 0-4 i managed to turn the tides and turn them against each other (yeah that works really well) and make the score 6-4 for the Imperials. We are now also at the last mission.

Try your best and change your strategy depending on your enemies not your experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Phillips
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
The game is always better with four heroes, but that may not fix everything.

The Imperial player capitulating in Imperial Hospitaility worries me because

if Jyn was at the terminal hacking then there was only one hero who could have protected the hostage for a round or so until Jyn ran back over. One of the victory conditions is killing the hostage so they probably could have killed the hostage before they made it to the exit.

One of the keys to this game is to not treat it like a Battle Royale. Focus on the objectives. Both sides need to do this and that will increase their chances of victory. Often times, wounding heroes is not the easiest way to win particularly with two legendary heroes that have larger than normal health pools and thus aren't as easy to burst down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ano Nym
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys for your advice! I think we'll try a combination of playing with 4 heroes and increasing the threat level by 1 next time we play the game.

birthright wrote:
Is Imperial Hospitality the mission where

the heroes rescue the Imperial captive?

Yes, it is.

birthright wrote:
If so, then the Imperial should not have capitulated because

the Imperial player can win by defeating the freed Rebel captive who has pretty severe movement restrictions and with only two defenders to block attacks the rebels would be at the disadvantage to protect him

Well, given that he ...
had only 5 points of threat left after the rebels destroyed the terminal, that both heroes had 20+ hitpoints and only minor injuries, that the mission allows the rebels to take hits aimed at the captive, that Jyn can stun or kill up to two enemies before they can do anything with her "Quick Draw" attack and that Diala can move the prisoner 6 additional spaces every turn (with "Force Throw"), ...
... I think that he was correct in thinking that he had almost no chance left to stop the rebels.

GladiatorGr wrote:
In my 1st campaign (i am always the Imperial) i had some problems on my early missions against Diala and Jyn. I realised that both of these heroes depend very much in their strain so i did my best to keep them strained and never lose too many forces in one round and i managed to counter their early lead of 1-4 to 5-6 and now we are on the last mission.

It's definitely true that Jyn and Diala depend a lot on their strain abilities. But with "Military Might" as the IP's class he doesn't really have the tools to increase their strain. He could use "Riot Grenades" but both Diala and Jyn have at least two dice for the Insight test and both have the ability to reroll attribute tests. The only effective thing he has at his disposal is the Nexu (to make them bleed).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ano Nym
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pinewood74 wrote:
The game is always better with four heroes, but that may not fix everything.

The Imperial player capitulating in Imperial Hospitaility worries me because

if Jyn was at the terminal hacking then there was only one hero who could have protected the hostage for a round or so until Jyn ran back over. One of the victory conditions is killing the hostage so they probably could have killed the hostage before they made it to the exit.

I think you're forgetting that ...
the door to the prisoners cell is locked and the IP player cannot open it. Only the rebels or the event at the end of round 4 can open it and the event only happens if the rebels didn't destroy the terminal before this event occurs.

Although ... now that I think about it I wonder, whether the IP could have
simply attacked the door to open it...
As far as I know there is nothing in the rules to prevent it, but if he did that from the start, the IP would almost inevitably win on round 2...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
In Imperial Hospitality only rebel figures can attack doors as per the mission rule.

If the rebels have Diala or Fenn, the mission will be fairly easy for good rebels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Phillips
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
Oh, I forgot the exact triggers. I thought the door automatically opened at the end of round 4 regardless of what happened. Only played it once a long time ago and couldn't remember the exact triggers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing with 2 heroes instead of 4 is completely broken. The heroes can get to the objectives twice as fast, we made the mistake of playing with 2 heroes for our first campaign and the Imperial player is still traumatized.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ano Nym
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SpoDaddy wrote:
Playing with 2 heroes instead of 4 is completely broken. The heroes can get to the objectives twice as fast, we made the mistake of playing with 2 heroes for our first campaign and the Imperial player is still traumatized.

I'll make sure that our Imperial player hears about your groups experience. He'll probably feel a lot better knowing, that his five defeats can mostly be blamed on broken rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mårten Cederholm
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SpoDaddy wrote:

I don't even wanna think about how bad it would be.
I have played 2 campaigns as the Imperial against a friend.
Won both of them but it was kinda 50/50 on the missions.

Kinda hard for the Rebel player to keep track of everything towards the end of the campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ano Nym
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A brief feedback:
Today we continued the Imperial Assault campaign with four characters (Diala, Jyn, Gideon and Fenn). We also gave the Imperial player +1 on the current threat level (threat level was 5 instead of 4) to compensate for the advantage in XP's and equipment the rebels gained while playing with the unbalanced 2-legendary-rebel rules. Amd it seemed to do the trick: We played Diala's sidemission. It was close but in the end the IP won for the first time ever during this campaign (the rebels still managed to collect four crates, so it wasn't a total loss for us).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.