Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian Holmes
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Eee-va?
mbmbmbmbmb
With play through videos becoming so popular, it is surprising that we don't have at least a couple live-play videos of people playing Up Front. The instructional videos posted here are SUPER helpful, but I would LOVE to watch two experienced players play through a game as well.

If there is anyone out there that is an experienced player, and could hook up with another experienced player, I am sure that it would be much appreciated here!

Just an idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spaztian wrote:
With play through videos becoming so popular, it is surprising that we don't have at least a couple live-play videos of people playing Up Front. The instructional videos posted here are SUPER helpful, but I would LOVE to watch two experienced players play through a game as well.

If there is anyone out there that is an experienced player, and could hook up with another experienced player, I am sure that it would be much appreciated here!

Just an idea.

Sure it's just an idea--if you don't have to do any work to produce one!

A good playthrough video is going to require a lot more than having two experienced players play in front of a camera:

- Up Front is a card game. Being a third person observer without seeing the cards in each players hand makes the game cryptic at best. (Watching games at the WBC played by others is hard to follow for me--and I guess I am pretty a good player (5 Top 5 finishes in the last 5 years.)) Poker did not take off on TV until they developed the "hole card cameras" to look at each player's hand so the commentators could say something about what each player was thinking "Phil is doing a semi bluff with his open ended straight draw."

- A major part of the game is the fog of war that comes from not knowing your opponent's hand and intentions. Neither player can really discuss their plays in real time. Audio commentary by the players or a neutral commentator would have to be recorded after the game.

- Up Front is a game that has no fixed turn order--that is one major reason why people find the game difficult to grok.

A scripted video tutorial would probably be useful. Showing the start of a game, how players set up, initial terrain placement, use of each of the cards in a "game" environment. (Thanasis Louridas did a PowerPoint presentation Up Front Tutorial in this sort of format, which was posted on WebUF site (unfortunately the site is currently down).)

Still a lot of work, but feasible for a video guy to try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thanasis louridas
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The site is not down Richard, it was down for a while but now we've gone again live
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Evans
United States
stroudsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Was tempted to record my solo play
But what Richard said

It may still get a better idea of what's going on

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lourthan wrote:
The site is not down Richard, it was down for a while but now we've gone again live

I got a 404 error this morning, but I see it is up now.

It is a very good resource on the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Holmes
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Eee-va?
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the video posted here where he plays slowly using Vassal was a huge help for me to play the game.

I see what you mean with needing to see their hands, that would help a lot, but even so, I would love to just see two people playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.