Subject: is there a tiebreaker for winner? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Drazen
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played this today. Despite the exceeding unlikelihood of it happening, and two vastly different strategies, I tied another person in a 3p game exactly. We used chips, not rails, so no way to double check if we made any math errors.

The rules say that the winner is most net worth (cash plus market value of stock). What is the customary tiebreaker - if any? I did not see anything in the rule book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
France
La Plaine St-Denis
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A possibility might be whoever is first to act on the "next" stock round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I'm not aware of any 18xx with tie-breaker rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
clearclaw wrote:
I'm not aware of any 18xx with tie-breaker rules.

That's because net worth is the victory condition for every 18xx game and nothing else matters. This isn't a Euro game. You can win by going bankrupt in some 18xx games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evelin Auger
Canada
Portneuf
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you counted how much you have in your wallet? Don't forget the change in your pocket!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed James
England
Portsmouth
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What's wrong with a tie for win?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Drazen
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mudhoney wrote:
What's wrong with a tie for win?

Nothing, but the rules do not cover the case. There are plenty of games that allow ties for winner (Carcassonne, Terra Mystica). But ties don't quite seem to be in the spirit of 18xx.

The only conditions we could think of were (1) total stock value, or (2) priority deal. I don't really like the latter, as it seems like a cheap win - if you're invested in totally different stock, or one person could sell more of something, it doesn't make sense, as the Priority Deal holder's net worth after the next SR (or OR's) is not necessarily higher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ties are so rare (rarer than in cricket!) that people feel no need to break them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Begy
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.jasonbegy.com
badge
http://www.jasonbegy.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be pretty happy with a tie result, just because I've never seen one
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group generally considers it a tie if the final value is within $100 anyway. Missing one share payout or any number of other accounting errors can easily make that much of a difference. Or something even simpler like not counting the runs correctly (either too high or too low).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Watson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Sigh.
badge
Yawn.
mbmbmbmbmb
Using Rails, another player and I tied in a game of 1830. Just as in 1856, the rules are defined by highest net worth - so multiple winners.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.