Subject: Amphibious Combat and Defending Leaders rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Crazy Adam
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Congratulations. You have just discovered the secret message.
badge
Please send your answer to Old Pink, care of the Funny Farm, Chalfont.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

Rule 17.1 (2010 rules) states: "When a player attacks by Sea move, the defender in the battle fires each of his deployed units at double CV."

Rule 10.3 states: "A leader deployed in battle rolls two dice each firing turn, but is killed if a double is thrown".

I had interpreted this before as meaning the Leader rolls 4 dice when defending amphibious combat, but it really does seem like they roll 2 regardless. As each Leader's CV is '1', double that is 2 dice, which is the same number of dice rolled when following Rule 10.3.

This was originally a rule question, but now with my reading of those rules feeling pretty solid this is now a caution to new players who might think they roll 4 dice for their Leader in this situation!

Sorry, French. Times still are tough out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Grenier
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A leader defending in an amphibious combat will roll 2 dice TWICE. The reason to roll 2 dice twice instead of 4 dice once (1 cv x 2(because leader) x 2 (because defending amphibious)) is you need to kill the leader if it rolls a double. And if you were rolling 4 dice you wouldn't be able to apply that rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Adam
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Congratulations. You have just discovered the secret message.
badge
Please send your answer to Old Pink, care of the Funny Farm, Chalfont.
mbmbmbmbmb
ThunderingGiraffe wrote:
A leader defending in an amphibious combat will roll 2 dice TWICE. The reason to roll 2 dice twice instead of 4 dice once (1 cv x 2(because leader) x 2 (because defending amphibious)) is you need to kill the leader if it rolls a double. And if you were rolling 4 dice you wouldn't be able to apply that rule.

You might very well be right here, and if this is how the majority of people play I'm happy to accept that. But as no clarification in the rulebook exists about how leaders roll during amphibious defense, I'm still a little uncertain. Originally I was thinking just as you are, and even surmised that you'd have to roll 2 dice twice to resolve leader combat (though that isn't hinted at anywhere in the rulebook). But when I saw the rule saying you roll at twice the CV (and the CV for the leader is '1') and then the rule that says you roll two dice during combat... well... a little is left up to interpretation with how these two rules gel.

That being said, you could very well be right.

EDIT: Actually, the semi-official FAQ in the Files section states exactly what you said: that the leader rolls two dice twice. The author of the document (C Sandifer) said that designers Tom and Grant Dalgliesh looked it over and approved it, so I'll go with that. Odd though that this FAQ states only units of the same type can trade CV steps and yet Tom Dalgliesh said somewhere else in the forums that units could trade with any other unit and that unit type did not matter. So there's even confusion there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Sandifer
United States
Lutherville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
freechinanow wrote:
Odd though that this FAQ states only units of the same type can trade CV steps and yet Tom Dalgliesh said somewhere else in the forums that units could trade with any other unit and that unit type did not matter. So there's even confusion there!

I'm guessing that Tom and Grant Dalgliesh haven't played some of their own designs in years, and it doesn't help that Columbia rules frequently change over time (multiple rules updates, etc.). So occasionally Tom and Grant answer rules questions in ways that are inconsistent or incorrect. I've seen this with Pacific Victory, Liberty, etc.

When you've got so many games in print, I imagine it's difficult to keep everything straight. This isn't an excuse, though, since confusing players is never a good idea. Just an observation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.