$5.00
$30.00
Sam Kochel
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Hey all,

My wife, friends and myself are really enjoying this game, but we are starting to think we've got some of the rules wrong.

So here are the questions:

1)There is a title card called "Jack of All Trades." To win this title you have to "Successfully Mine, Harvest, and Salvage in one turn." How can you do this? We use to think that you would end your turn after any Major Action, but learned otherwise. So our group's new understanding is that major actions only end movement such that you could Buy from a planet, move to another planet (while picking up a mission on the way), stopping at a Sell spot on another planet, shooting at someone on that planet and then finally selling your stuff. However, the "Jack of All Trades" title still seems impossible under any circumstance. How can you "mine, harvest, and salvage" all in one turn as there would have to be 2 move actions in that sequence??

2) Can you Mine, or harvest or salvage as much as you want in one turn? In the past I thought these were major actions, and as such would end your turn, but it seems now you could say salvage as much as you wanted or until your ship blew up?

3) The title card Menace says be the "first player to: attack two ships in one turn." So in this case that means after, or before you do any movement you can fire blasters, then move (or not) and then fire more blasters at another ship or perhaps a torpedo?

4) Going off of question 3, can you do combat and then move? How about fire, move, fire again (as long as you have activation spaces on your outfits).

5) Next. You may use impulse and engines in one turn, correct? But you can not say, use impulse then a major action and then engines (or the reverse of that), correct?

6) Finally, you can buy as many cubes as you want in one turn then, correct? For example, if I am at a planet that sells blue cubes and I have the money, I can fill up my whole ship with cubes in one major action. Furthermore, if I have the range I can fly to a sell planet and sell all my blue cubes (as long as I don't take any major actions in between to stop my movement)?

Thanks so much, love the game, hope we start getting it right, I think before we were playing with handcuffs on, and not getting enough money and cool ships and outfits and combat.

Thanks again,

Sam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, Sam. I think you need to have actions explained, and that will answer all your questions.

A player may take any number of actions on their turn. So for instance, if a ship was on a Salvage hex, the player could not only fill their ship, they could chuck cubes out of their hold and fill it again. With luck.

There are two types of actions; Major and Minor. Minor actions can be taken at any time during your turn... including before, during or after a move.

Major Actions can also be done at anytime... BUT, a soon as you start a new Major action, any Major action you were doing is over.

Moving is a Major action. Any time you take another action, your Move action is over, and any unused movement is lost.

But when that action is done, you can start another Move action by activating your engine outfit. This action continues until you run out of movement points, or start a new Major action. You can perform any number of Minor actions during a Move action... but no Major actions.

You can take as many Move actions during your turn as you have activation spaces and charged plugs for.

Using your Impulse is a Major action as well. You can move by Impulse before or after a Move action, but NOT during it.

You're done moving when your Impulse is used, and there are no empty activation spaces on your engine outfits(s), or no charged plugs left. A fast ship can cross the map in a turn (sometimes).

I hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanna clear only one thing. Bern's reply was very good, and completely correct, except for phrasing. There are many kinds of Actions, and some of those are "minor". There are no "Major Actions", but if that helps you to keep it clear in your head, then by all means use that.

To be clear, I'm not doing this to be annoying or pedantic, just to clarify. In the game there are a lot of Actions that you can take. Some of those actions are "(minor)" actions and you do not throw away any remaining movement when you take those actions. You can take as many actions as you want on your turn, opportunities permitting.

1) Jack of all Trades is a difficult title to get. It very much depends on the board. Some layouts may just be impossible, you get three sectors in a row, and that's not hard for a T3 engine.

2) You can Mine/Harvest/Salvage as much as you want. You can take as many actions as you want. When you take certain actions, those that activate an outfit, you move an Activation Token from Ready to the Outfit. If you have no Activation Tokens, no Impulse, and no remaining movement... then you can only take actions that you can take in your hex.

3) When you Move you take an Activation Token and place it on an engine, roll the die, and Move. Now you have 3 Activation Tokens remaining. If you are in an adjacent hex to another ship (with LOS), you could fire a Blaster. You would move (1 or 2) Activation Tokens to the Blaster, they would decide how many Shields they were using, then everyone would roll dice. You add up your Blaster damage, then subtract what they Shielded, and they would place damage.

If you used 1 Activation Token, you would have 2 remaining. If you could Move or Impulse to another ship, you could easily use your second Blaster Activation to attack them.

4) Pretty sure I covered this above.

5) There are no "major" actions, see above. Using Impulse, Activating an Outfit... these things are actions. You can activate 4 Outfit, Activation Points, in one turn. You can do these in any order. When you take another action you lose any current movement, unless that action is a minor action.

6) I'm really hoping that you can answer this question for yourself at this point. Buying/Selling is an Action. There is a helper card that comes with the game, enough for everybody. Everything listed on the helper card is an Action, some of those are marked "minor" and those do not force you to discard current movement. Some Actions come from Outfits and require moving an Activation Token to the Outfit. Your turn ends when there are no longer any Actions available for you to take, or you choose to end it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Kochel
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Everyone, thanks for the answers below! Last night I had my wife look over the rules with me and I see my problem. I assumed moving (all your moving that turn) was finished with a major action, and missed that one move is only 1 action...etc... Anyway, I feel goofy for somehow getting this messed up as I read the rule book twice and watched a 50min video on the game... blush

Thanks again!!!!

Sam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Derek is of course right. This is the second time someone has pointed out to me that there are no "Major" actions in the game... just "Not Minor". Maybe this time I will remember...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SamKochel wrote:
I assumed moving (all your moving that turn) was finished with a major action, and missed that one move is only 1 action...

I thought that might be the glitch... you should be able to get money and fame points much more quickly, now. Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to think about things in the perspective of Minor/Major actions that's fine. Especially if it helps you keep things straight.

The main reason I don't find it useful is because what minor actions there are, only do one thing: allow you to hold onto movement. If it had other characteristics to it, especially if they were different in different situations, then you would want to keep that straight to keep the differences straight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Woods
United States
Fairfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
"Jack of all Trades", I won my first game doing this title...and I rolled a natural 20 too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.