Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
2 Posts

The Game of Life» Forums » General

Subject: Vintage Reprint shows how good games were in the 1960s rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
But the drumbeat strains of the night remain in the rhythm of the newborn day.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My wife asked me to pick up The Game of Life and I did at Target. It's a crappy remake that waters down the rules and has a credit-card score tracker device that is prone to error. In short, the game is utter pablum.

So I had seen the original at my FLGS, and told her I'd order a copy.

Sixty dollars! But damn, it's gorgeous, looks exactly like the copy I had as a kid in the 70s with the green plastic mountains and white buildings. The box is ruggedly built too, a throwback to when things were manufactured in the U.S., more expensive and built to last. Really a nice print.

I played it with the family tonight and we had a great time. The game is cutthroat as hell. I got to watch my wife throw my daughter under the bus twice, and then steal half her inheritance a couple of turns after that! Everyone was yelling and laughing as it happened. You can really get up in someone's grill in this vintage version.

The game has a great big pile of randomness in it, but it doesn't hide it and there's the opportunity to gamble on each and every players' turns so you can find ways to claw your way out of last place. The take-that red cards add to the mix and the Revenge spaces let you settle scores aplenty. Really a great game for raucous play.

Straight up -- this game is WAY better than I remember. We may not have played the Red Cards or Revenge spaces back then. There's more going on than I remember.

The vintage edition is GREAT print quality. A big white flat box, the word "life" having the strings coming down from the top of the box. There's another old version without the strings that I can't speak to, but this version is an excellent reprint. Worth a look.

S.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Halaska
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools

I agree! A couple of years ago, we were staying at a hotel that had a few games and my son picked out LIFE. "Good," I thought, "I used to love LIFE as a kid." Unfortunately, it was one of the modern versions with all sorts of new rules that made the game much less fun.

It took me a while, but I finally found a nice, older copy of the game at a thrift store. We played it, and like you, had a great time. Yes it's a random, roll and move game, but if you know that going in, you can have plenty of fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.