Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
26 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Scythe» Forums » General

Subject: Is It Just Me Or Does the (Beautiful) Box Cover art Seem a Little...... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ima Dork
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
.....Stupid?
I look at that image and wonder what is WRONG with those farmers?!

"Grab that bushel please Magda"
"Yes Yuri. You swing that scythe like a REAL man my strong babushka!"
"Thank you darlink. Hmmm. Look at those soldiers and those MASSIVE MECHS fighting 100 to 300 feet away from us."
"Ahh yes. But we should calmly get back to the harvest. We don't want our fellow peasants, also strung out on heroin, to think we are aren't pulling our weight!"
"Oh!! Ha ha ha! Magda: You got lucky when you bent over to pick up that bushel.
A piece of shrapnel just flew by where your head had been!"
"Ohh Yuri! You are such a card!"

Post Script, (Added out of necessity):
"This is humour. I'm being sardonic and/or I'm not serious. Please relax before reading further. Perhaps a couple huffs from a tank of Nitrous could be in order."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Skelton
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I get the sense that the fight just started. Some of the farmers are looking up at the battle, and there's a soldier leaning down from his horse, seemingly to warn the civilians to get out of there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Tom Casual
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's it....not buying this now. The post hit too close to home. TOO TRUE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ima Dork
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ima Dork
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How did the mechs and troops get that close? Hidden by all the noise of the scythes on the grain?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Kristiansen
Denmark
Kongens Lyngby
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The point of this picture is that that farmers are so used to these mechs that they hardly notice them. Now that they are fireing their weapons, I would expect the farmers to take cover, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gutripper
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's because the farmers know that they can't die and will just get teleported back to headquarters if their faction mech loses the battle. At the same time they will spread some nasty stories about the attacking faction so no one likes them anymore, but only if they lose (spoil sports!)...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gutripper wrote:
It's because the farmers know that they can't die and will just get teleported back to headquarters if their faction mech loses the battle. At the same time they will spread some nasty stories about the attacking faction so no one likes them anymore, but only if they lose (spoil sports!)...

In fact, they use the teleport as their regular method to get back home every day XD - just bother one of those big guys a bit and voila! back to home sweet home in a breeze. Tomorrow they will catch the 7 a.m. mech back to the fields hehe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Looking again at the box cover it seems to me that most of the farmers are looking up and seeing a scene that is very familiar, one they have seen so many times before ,so much so that some do not even bother to look up and just get on with the job in hand... harvesting grain for the greater good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Licata
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
biffta wrote:

Looking again at the box cover it seems to me that most of the farmers are looking up and seeing a scene that is very familiar, one they have seen so many times before ,so much so that some do not even bother to look up and just get on with the job in hand... harvesting grain for the greater good.

I agree, this is just common to them, eventually you get used to it. It's not unprecedented either. During the American Civil War folks used to watch the battles from a "safe" distance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hamrick
United States
Rocky Mount
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
danlicata wrote:
biffta wrote:

I agree, this is just common to them, eventually you get used to it. It's not unprecedented either. During the American Civil War folks used to watch the battles from a "safe" distance.

True! In fact, a large group of family members/ wives, etc. would often follow them, or watch the battle from a hill away, etc. (according to accounts I've read).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I currently live near Manassas Battlefield, and picnics were not an uncommon sight along the rolling hills.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ima Dork
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this site but gawd DAMN gamers here are a humourless bunch.
shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
BoardGamesOwn wrote:
shake

Welcome to bgg. Where souless Euro takes on a whole new meaning.
In this case not only do they suck out your soul.. they suck out your sense of humor as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ima Dork
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So it's not just me noticing this?
wow
I get,(and know from a couple groups I game with),that board gamers are not all typically gregarious and outgoing people by nature, but it really does seem here:
That laughing and having fun around gaming is kinda a No No when discusing games.
(Which should never be corrupted by .....fun!).

Since this isn't my 1st such encounter, I think maybe I should preface future posts from now on with sumpin' like:

"This is humour. I'm being sardonic and/or I'm not serious. Please relax before reading further. Perhaps a couple huffs from a tank of Nitrous could be in order."

Actually, I'm gonna tag that on the end of my O.P.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
BoardGamesOwn wrote:
shake
..? What do you mean? The OP is a professional comedian.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ima Dork
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2 things:
Biting sarcasm?
You just replied to the OP chum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't stuff like that happen in the two great wars? Battles were raging right next to fields where workers just kept working?

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bull
United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ia anyone here familiar with the concept of artistic licence at all?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Grozdanich

Santa Clara
CA California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BoardGamesOwn wrote:
shake

I get what you mean...but I think the way you originally worded your OP contributed that. It is very hard to read sarcasm on the internet unless you interpret the words that way. I would have thought you were utterly serious before you added your edit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ima Dork
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These weren't a tip off?
"...We don't want our fellow peasants, also strung out on heroin..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Weber
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
BoardGamesOwn wrote:
These weren't a tip off?
"...We don't want our fellow peasants, also strung out on heroin..."

It sure was clear that the post was intended to be funny. What wasn't clear was whether that also means the criticism was not meant seriously, since being humorous and being critical don't exclude one another. So I don't see much wrong with people assuming that, humour aside, you think there is a thematic inconsistency in the cover art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Halfling
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You know what those salt-of-the-earth country folks are like:
"Fightin' o'er thar"
*peers off into distance, chews grass* "Yarp"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ima Dork
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh.. Well. It was also a critique actually. I don't care how 'accustomed' people might be to a war: 10 heckaton mechs are fighting 200 feet away: They put some distance between themselves and the source of impending death..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm no expert almost completely ignorant on the subject of art and art appreciation, but surely this sort of juxtaposition - in this case a pastoral scene alongside giant war machines spitting death - is a common technique artists use, in order to grab our attention/highlight an issue/make a political point/sell a product etc etc. Also, there are no restrictions on artists that say their work has to make logical "sense". Otherwise the likes of Dali, Escher and many others - (whom I can't name - as I said earlier, I'm ignorant on the subject!) - would have struggled to find an audience.

Anyway - those workers have read the Scythe rules and know they have nothing to worry about. If their mechs win they can carry on as though nothing has happened - otherwise they will be off to their home base, presumably for a well-earned rest!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.