Andrew Kluessendorf
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
... that God loves us and wants us to be happy. -Benjamin Franklin-
mbmbmbmbmb

I am Hammurabi, King of Babylon. Under my code of laws, my people flourish. We trade our surplus of wheat and sheep to the great nations of Mare Nostrum and in return we receive metal from Rome and stone from Greece. But with these returning goods we also receive rumors and signs of war. Caesar builds the implements of war - legions and triremes - in Rome. Pericles in Greece and Hannibal in Carthage build caravans to expand their riches. And Cleopatra builds beautiful Hanging Gardens in Egypt. I will teach her the sweetest and lowest hanging of the fruits of Mare Nostrum is Judaea and the city of Jerusalem. In addition, I also take control of Asia and build a fortress there as well as in Judaea. Caesar sends his legions to Sicilia and I move a legion to Judaea.

Another season passes and caravans and cargo ships continue to ply goods throughout the five great nations of the world. Egypt builds legions and a fleet of triremes. Rome restores Syracuse to its former glory and adds another legion there. Ramses II joins forces with Pericles in Greece adding to Greece's formidable military might. The former slave and gladiator Spartacus escapes Rome and joins forces with Hannibal in Carthage. And I build up a legion in Asia and bring peace and prosperity to Jerusalem and Troia and make them into vibrant, wealthy cities. Hannibal moves his armies to protect his coast, while Egypt sales to Creta and seizes control of the island.

Another season passes, with more trade and increasing signs of war. The other great nations have turned their eyes towards the growing might of Babylon. Greece builds two fleets of triremes in the Pontus Euxinus and a legion in Tracia - the only question is where will Babylon be attacked. Egypt builds legions in Aegyptus and Cyrenaica. The Queen of Sheba becomes Caesar's cohort in Rome and Syracuse is now a major Roman military center. Spartacus helps Carthage raise several legions to defend against Rome and the armies massing in Egypt. I add a fortress in Armenia should Greece attack there, a caravan in Cappadocia and another legion in Asia. Greece uses its triremes to land its legion in Cappadocia. Rome uses its legions to take control of Creta from Egypt. I could counterattack in Cappadocia, but I have more immediate and far larger plans in the works.

Another season and more building. Rome prepares for a major offensive, but where will it be? Egypt adds more legions. Hannibal's armies are massing, as are Pericles'. My cities, including the legendary Troia and Jerusalem, provide me with abundant wealth in my provinces. I have the coin and commodities to build two fleets of triremes in Mare Aegaeum and three new legions in Asia. Cleopatra has her legions in Aegyptus attack Judaea. Her legions destroy my legions but my fortress remains standing; Judaea is now at war, but still under my control. With Cleopatra's attention diverted to the east, Hannibal invades Cyrenica and attempts to take control from Egypt. Greece takes control of Cappadocia. And as Hannibal moves into Egypt, Caesar sails his troops from Sicilia to Africa and seizes control of its city and temple and caravans.

But now it is time for my final move - I sail my legions from Asia across the sea to Achaea in Greece. Three of my five legions are destroyed, but so are his legions and his fortress. With no one to oppose my two remaining legions, I seize his capital city. I may have built no wonders nor recruited any mighty heroes, but I alone control four of the great capitals and legendary cities of the world.

I Hammurabi, proclaim myself the King of Mare Nostrum.

This was a fun 5-player session. This was the 2nd play for all 5 of us. The first play had been two weeks earlier and been won without a single battle as more or an economic-engine building game. I think we all learned a lot from the first game and this one was definitely more combative. I had written our first play up as another session report (First Play for 5 New Players). I thought it would be fun to write this one up in a more narrative style; hopefully those of you already familiar with the game will recognize what is going on in the various Trade/Build/Move and Battle phases. One last note, the pictures show a Greek legion remaining in Achaea - that legion was in fact destroyed and must have been accidentally replaced during the post-game banter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tang Sam
Hong Kong
North Point
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have a game ended like this on the 14th of Aug. It is very dangerous to let Babylon control both Judaea & Asia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluessendorf
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

We have very little experience with this game, but it sure seems that Egypt needs to grab Judaea on the first turn before Babylon can. And it Egypt doesn't on the first turn, then Greece needs to take Asia. Otherwise Babylon can defend them pretty well and it starts to take a bigger combined effort by a couple of nations to stop Babylon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Love
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Is that the standard game map, or the mega sized map?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluessendorf
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

It's the big map - and it is beautiful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On my first try with Babylon, I also did a cities win! Their ability helps them expand quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Love
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Getaklue wrote:

It's the big map - and it is beautiful!

It sure is. Damn, wish I had ordered one of those as well, when I backed this Kickstarter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander III
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The big mousepad map could still be had after-market a few weeks ago from nobelknight games.

They might be gone by now... the poker-chip resources were gone then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schroeder

Dubuque
Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fubar awol wrote:
The big mousepad map could still be had after-market a few weeks ago from nobelknight games.

It's my opinion that without the poker chips, this game would get really messy. I'm really glad I bought them from the original kickstarter. I originally didn't get the big map, but was able to order it a few weeks back still.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander III
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reimius wrote:
fubar awol wrote:

It's my opinion that without the poker chips, this game would get really messy. I'm really glad I bought them from the original kickstarter. I originally didn't get the big map, but was able to order it a few weeks back still.

I ordered from Knoblenight Games more than a week ago. I may have gotten their last set of poker chips. I sprung for the whole she-bang (Chips, Mousepad, Extra Dice (unnecessary) and the plastic Buildings). Then I found a guy here on the Geek selling the game and expansion with the (very few) KS cards. Now I have the Kickstarter Edition (with all available add-ons) without having done the Kickstarter.

I love dudes-on-a-map games and this one is admirable, especially with the full-tilt component upgrade. It's just fun to look at and manipulate if you have all the cool extra bits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander III
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now here are some player screens:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bredon
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fubar awol wrote:
Now here are some player screens:

To be fair, those player screens are required by Wars of the Roses: Lancaster vs. York - that game doesn't work without very effective player screens.

Mare Nostrum really doesn't need player screens - you can play effectively by simply turning resources face down - the original game came with setup cards but no player screens.

The screens work moderately well as setup cards. To be fair, I would have preferred actual setup cards with full text descriptions of the setup instead of screens with only pictures of the setup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander III
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abredon wrote:

To be fair, those player screens are required by Wars of the Roses: Lancaster vs. York - that game doesn't work without very effective player screens.

Mare Nostrum really doesn't need player screens - you can play effectively by simply turning resources face down - the original game came with setup cards but no player screens.

The screens work moderately well as setup cards. To be fair, I would have preferred actual setup cards with full text descriptions of the setup instead of screens with only pictures of the setup.

Tongue was firmly in cheek when posting the LvY screens as an example. You are probably right. It would make it easier to make sure that everyone starts each round with no more than the allowed 2 gold carryover. Keeping over resources from a previous turn is an easy mistake to make, especially when it is so common in other games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.