Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Philihp Busby
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
First play I brought the game to the table at around noon with 5 players (including myself). I had a vague understanding of the rules, but it was still about 90 hours before we went through the setup and understood enough of the rules before we begun play, and another 30 minutes before we made it through the initial auction round and a few ORs. At around 5:00 we called it, having made it to the beginning of phase 4.

Second play through was with a 3-player subset of the previous game. We started at around 4:00, and called it 6 hours later having bought the last train in phase 6. We sold our stocks at market price and counted up the personal net worths to be around 3200, 3450, and 3500.

Other Thoughts:

* Begin the game noon, right after eating. Plan on getting food delivered.
* If the game's structure evolves such that one person acts for a lot of companies in a row during the ORs, goto the bathroom at that time.
* It feels really painful to issue dividends when only 60% of the stock is out.
* The stock certificate limit really comes into play after splits.
* This would be really fun on tabletop simulator.
* The hex's with a single crossbar stop are a huge pain because they can't be upgraded to green. Is this by design? It seems like a flaw in design, but maybe there's some historical significance to this, like rural towns didn't want too many rail lines going through them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
philihp wrote:
The hex's with a single crossbar stop are a huge pain because they can't be upgraded to green.

Did you play 1844 or 1854?

Note that tunnels can be used to get around the "dit" problem, at least in some circumstances.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
philihp wrote:
* The hex's with a single crossbar stop are a huge pain because they can't be upgraded to green. Is this by design? It seems like a flaw in design, but maybe there's some historical significance to this, like rural towns didn't want too many rail lines going through them?

Frustration is not a Bad Thing but is rather something to use creatively. Next time use the dits to your advantage to generate early revenue and to other's disadvantage in forestalling their long efficient routes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philihp Busby
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Didn't think about tunnels really! Good idea. I think I'm the beginning we were like "ugh 100 for a tunnel? I'll just go around", but in late game I can see that as a great option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In general, an 18xx game should have valuable things that a corporation can do if it has enough capital, so as to create the difficult decision as to whether to pay out or whether to accumulate capital. In most 18xx games, one of those valuable things is to buy a permanent train so the President need not do it (though in some games it's better to keep the stock rising and pay for the train yourself.)

In 1854, another valuable thing to do with capital is to create tunnels so as to optimize your route. The "Orient Express" route is quite lucrative, but in addition to the cost of the train needed to run it, there's usually a significant cost to engineer the appropriate route.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
In general, an 18xx game should have valuable things that a corporation can do if it has enough capital, so as to create the difficult decision as to whether to pay out or whether to accumulate capital. In most 18xx games, one of those valuable things is to buy a permanent train so the President need not do it (though in some games it's better to keep the stock rising and pay for the train yourself.)

In 1854, another valuable thing to do with capital is to create tunnels so as to optimize your route. The "Orient Express" route is quite lucrative, but in addition to the cost of the train needed to run it, there's usually a significant cost to engineer the appropriate route.

Since you mentioned the OE route, are you allowed to skip cities when you run it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Butterfly0038 wrote:
Since you mentioned the OE route, are you allowed to skip cities when you run it?

I don't think there's any special rule allowing an Orient Express train to skip revenue locations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.