Popular Tags: [View All]
Brett Lamb

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the text on the Crybaby Card (from the first episode):
Quote:
Crybaby

Reveal: Choose a player to shuffle Crybaby into their deck. If you choose Wash, put it into his hand instead.
Draw a Card.
Activate: Choose a ship to get -3 \\\ this turn. Defeat Crybaby.

Possibly a dumb question, but.... Is "Draw a card" a) meant to be part of the Reveal text, and therefore done once when the card is revealed (and not again), or is it b) meant to be normal text, and done done every time its played?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had played it as a), but it makes SO much more sense for b) to be the correct interpretation.

Cards that defeat themselves via their activate text (e.g., Talent) almost always have Draw a Card as the default action when played. The card would be dead weight in your hand, otherwise.

That argument seems strong enough on its own to make b) seem like the intention. It could go either way, but b) works much better, so it should be the correct way to interpret the ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Carlisle
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
I had played it as a), but it makes SO much more sense for b) to be the correct interpretation.

Cards that defeat themselves via their activate text (e.g., Talent) almost always have Draw a Card as the default action when played. The card would be dead weight in your hand, otherwise.

That argument seems strong enough on its own to make b) seem like the intention. It could go either way, but b) works much better, so it should be the correct way to interpret the ability.

Just got our first play of this in a few hours ago. I would agree with your interpretation...as you stated in the other instance it would be dead weight.

Summary: "Draw a card" would be normal text and played every turn (this makes the most sense)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor S.
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
option b is the correct way to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crybaby has three separate instructions. One is prefaced by Reveal, which is a keyword that takes place in the 'Verse. One is draw a card, which only applies when played from one's hand. The third is prefaced by Activate, which is a keyword that can be used when played from one's hand.

Basically, in your deck it works just like the Talent cards do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Glad I checked this thread

My question is about shuffling into my deck. When I do that, it's

a) my draw and discard piles reshuffled?
b) my current draw pile only?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Fletcher
msg tools
klkitchens wrote:
Glad I checked this thread

My question is about shuffling into my deck. When I do that, it's

a) my draw and discard piles reshuffled?
b) my current draw pile only?

Good question. Your deck is the stack of undrawn cards, which is distinct from your Discard Pile. I have always shuffled into those undrawn cards, and left the Discard Pile, as that is the literal translation, but maybe it was meant to be used to shuffle your Discard Pile into your Deck as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The text is clear. The rules make it clear that your deck is the remaining cards and your discard pile is something else hen used as terms like this.

For example, "Whenever your deck runs out of cards, shuffle your discard pile to make a new deck."

So, shuffling into your deck means you put it into the currently face-down cards and the discards remain discarded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Kohler
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Are any of these responses (regarding the timing of "Draw a card") from an UD official? I know there are some on the forum, but they don't always identify themselves as such.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Mandel
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Kohlerfolk wrote:
Are any of these responses (regarding the timing of "Draw a card") from an UD official? I know there are some on the forum, but they don't always identify themselves as such.

Hi everyone,

You draw the card when you play the card from your hand. The "Draw a card" part is not from the Reveal trigger.

I don't officially work for UD but I was one of the game designers so this is an official answer. In general we try to read all of the threads about the game, but only chime in when the community can't answer the question by itself. (And in those cases we try to learn why the card/rules/etc was unclear and improve for next time )

Thank you,
Danny
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dannym77 wrote:
Kohlerfolk wrote:

Hi everyone,

You draw the card when you play the card from your hand. The "Draw a card" part is not from the Reveal trigger.

I don't officially work for UD but I was one of the game designers so this is an official answer. In general we try to read all of the threads about the game, but only chime in when the community can't answer the question by itself. (And in those cases we try to learn why the card/rules/etc was unclear and improve for next time )

Thank you,
Danny

Thanks! Great game and design... added some excellent new options to the Encounters line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
The text is clear. The rules make it clear that your deck is the remaining cards and your discard pile is something else hen used as terms like this.

For example, "Whenever your deck runs out of cards, shuffle your discard pile to make a new deck."

So, shuffling into your deck means you put it into the currently face-down cards and the discards remain discarded.

Apparently I never noticed that it stated to shuffle into your deck, I always just threw it into the discard. I never valued this card much, because by the time I get it, the episode is near over and its not as useful in decks B and C. Shuffling into your deck will make it more useful as it'll come up quicker when ships are still around.

- My last game we gave this to Jayne. Him + Crybaby + Talent = Dead Dortmunder!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.