Subject: Multi player game with solo option rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeroen 3h
Netherlands
Zwolle
flag msg tools
mb
I'm looking for a great multi player game with solo option. Co-op games would work (I own Pandemic and Forbidden Desert, both of which I've played solo) but I'm looking for something with a stronger theme.

But I don't always play solo so the game would need to support a 4-5 player option. Any suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Legends of Andor?

Another thought: anything Cthulhu (Arkham Horror, Eldrith Horror, Elder Sign ...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldritch Horror or Mansions of Madness: Second Edition

Both are very thematic - if you enjoy the theme!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen 3h
Netherlands
Zwolle
flag msg tools
mb
Eldritch Horror is something I've been looking at, nice theme and it might even be something my wife would play for 3 hours

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmb
Aeon's End when it's out (either play multiple characters, or only play one and cry)

Sentinels of the Multiverse. Just play multiple characters and control everything.

Dark Dealings is fun as a multiplayer game, and very puzzly as a solo game. Just be sure to check it's BGG page for the official solo variant, which is a lot less luck-driven.

The theme is quite strong with all these three, and they are all challenging both a multiplayer and solo games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Race for the Galaxy + The Gathering Storm plays 1-5 players. I enjoy it solo (though haven't played it solo much) and I think it has a strong theme, though some people on BGG disagree. It's not the game to get if you (or your group) are going to play it occasionally though as it takes most people a couple of games to get the hang of the rules etc and a few more to start having a clue how to win.

Star Realms supports up to 6 players with an extra copy of the base game or Colony Wars for every 2 players. Officially for 4p you are supposed to use all the cards from both but I've always just used the starter cards from the second set and use whichever of the two trade decks we feel like using which give more variety between games. It has two official solo challenges "Nemesis Beast" and "Pirates of the Dark Star" which were included in Star Realms: Gambit Set but you can find the rules on line. There are also various fan created Star Realms Solo Challenges. I've only played it 2p & 4p though I did play the Pirates of the Dark Star challenge on the app.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at K2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen 3h
Netherlands
Zwolle
flag msg tools
mb
anijunk wrote:
Take a look at K2

Hmm player elimination? Probably a no go since I'm playing with eurogamers who like to play the entire game.

Have been looking at Five Tribes and Imperial Settlers both of which have a solo variant but haven't played them yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Stevenson
United Kingdom
Watford
Herts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Viticulture Essential Edition plays 1-6, scales nicely to those player counts and should certainly appeal to your euro friends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmb
jeroen3h wrote:
anijunk wrote:
Take a look at K2
Have been looking at Five Tribes and Imperial Settlers both of which have a solo variant but haven't played them yet.

I like the Five Tribes solo variant. It's quite tricky just to survive and if you do, to do well. That's because just surviving forces you do make some moves that might be at odds with a strategy oriented purely at a high score.

I have heard some people criticise the variant because it is not really like playing a human opponent but show me the board game with a solo variant that actually manages to pull that off?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing Rokoko (Rococo) with the Master Lewis solo variation and it's very fun solo. Also can play up to 5 although I can not personally tell you how well, I don't see any reason it would not be even more fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jeroen3h wrote:
anijunk wrote:
Take a look at K2

Hmm player elimination? Probably a no go since I'm playing with eurogamers who like to play the entire game.

I wouldn't worry about the player elimination element in K2. There's a non-player elimination variant that works just as well as the regular rules. It has almost no impact..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I highly recommend Mansions of Madness: Second Edition. Played this for the first time this past weekend and found it highly entertaining.. Its a very good storytelling game.. I will warn you that it requires the use of a free Tablet App (We used an IPAD 3). So, if that sort of thing turns you off, you won't enjoy Mansions of Madness. I think they did a great job with the App, so it didn't bother me at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Keefe
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola is a good multiplayer with somewhat decent solo play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Firefly: The Game is pretty fun if you like bouncing around the galaxy, completing jobs of varying levels of legality. 1-4 players, with different scenarios. Not sure if the game officially supports more players with the ship expansions. You don't have to be too familiar with the show, but it helps. ("What the hell is a Crybaby?")

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Snowdonia is a terrific worker placement game that scales well from 1 to 5 players with the solo option feeling very natural.

Lewis & Clark is a really terrific game that has a nice puzzly solo option and technically plays 5 but can be long at that count.

Glass Road only plays up to 4 but has a very satisfying solo option.

Flash Point: Fire Rescue is an excellent co-op that plays up to six and feels less abstract than Pandemic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave S
England
Newcastle under lyme
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Descent 2 with road to legend app. totally different from the 2 games that you've mentioned;
if you want more of the same Defenders of the realm or Thunderbirds

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Frantz
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Terraforming Mars!

It's a fantastic game with a great theme and the solo play is really fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel (working on TENNISmind...)
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: Tetrarchia, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
Tetrarchia can be played by 1 to 4 players with exactly the same rules. It has several variants and many difficulty challenges.

It's a coop about the time when 4 Emperors tried to save Rome from the fate that all their enemies where pushing her to. You can get a feeling of the gameplay with this review.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rosie_187 wrote:
Viticulture Essential Edition plays 1-6, scales nicely to those player counts and should certainly appeal to your euro friends.

Plus one to this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen 3h
Netherlands
Zwolle
flag msg tools
mb
rosie_187 wrote:

Looks like fun but seems to be a bit difficult (or expensive) to get over here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kate
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scythe has a solo mode, but is probably too expensive for what you're looking for...
So pretty though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard W
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you looking for games that have official solo rules, or games that can be played solo? For the latter, here's a geeklist of solo variants for multiplayer games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen 3h
Netherlands
Zwolle
flag msg tools
mb
BeloW06 wrote:
Are you looking for games that have official solo rules, or games that can be played solo? For the latter, here's a geeklist of solo variants for multiplayer games.

Doesn't really matter, Pandemic for example doesn't have a solo variant but can be played solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kellett
United Kingdom
Preston
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My top two suggestions would be:

Snowdonia - fantastic worker placement game which scales well from 1 to 5 and offers great replayability. The solo game is so much more than the 'beat your last score' that the rules make it sound like.

Secrets of the Lost Tomb - by far my favourite dungeon crawler. Plays 1 - 6 with a great choice of characters (including a buffed one specifically for solo play) plus companions that can be added if needed. Very little downtime even with high player counts. Massively thematic with a good selection of Indiana Jones style scenarios, adventure cards that trigger when you explore rooms and a decent amount of treasure, monsters and status effects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.