$30.00
$15.00
$20.00
$5.00
Recommend
13 
 Thumb up
 Hide
30 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Car Wars» Forums » News

Subject: Gen Con 2016 – Steve Jackson Games – Car Wars 6th Edition rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to Kid Kyoto on Dakka

Quote:
CAR WARS
So before I go into the interview, I went and pulled all the details together that Phil wrote in his August 1st newsletter.

“We continue to work on Car Wars, and at the moment we can report that:

The game features twelve different factions: six wasteland factions and six arena factions. Each faction represents a gang, corporation, outlaw group, or other organization within the Car Wars world.

There are three points of entry into the Car Wars game: The two-player Wastelands Starter, the two-player Arenas Starter, and the four-player Car Wars game. A player may buy any one of those and start playing immediately, and buying all three allows up to eight to play at once.

From wheels to machineguns, Car Wars sixth edition is a new game. Everything from combat to maneuvering to vehicle design was designed to get players into combat within moments of sitting down at the table. The driving goal behind the overall creative process is best summed up with three words: Cars. With. Guns.

Car Wars sixth edition features plastic car miniatures at HO scale. Miniatures are included in the three games as well as in faction-specific expansion sets. At the moment, it looks like one faction pack – loaded with three plastic miniatures, several new game cards, and whatever tokens are required to use the cars in combat – will cost players $19.95. That’s a lot of new options at a low price!

James Lowder, established author and editor with decades of experience in and out of the game industry, is at work on the first anthology of new stories set in the Car Wars sixth edition world. It is 2117, and this book tells a dozen tales, each centered on a different faction.

Additionally, the anthology will include twelve new game cards so that players can incorporate bits of the stories into their game sessions.
We are taking both the Car Wars anthology and the new game to Kickstarter, and the two projects will connect. The fiction project is first, and backers of the Car Wars anthology project who also back the game on Kickstarter will receive special bonus cards when they receive their rewards.

Additionally, we will offer special retailer reward levels for both projects. We will release information through our retailer newsletter once the projects launch on Kickstarter.”


http://www.tribality.com/2016/08/10/gencon-2016-steve-jackso...

19 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
navajas
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But, but, making cars was easily the best thing about that game. Hopefully they haven't gutted the design side in an effort to make the play side more approachable for the Xwing generation.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
navajas wrote:
But, but, making cars was easily the best thing about that game. Hopefully they haven't gutted the design side in an effort to make the play side more approachable for the Xwing generation.


This! It's sounding a lot to me that they are trying to take it more to a CCG-feel as far as the system goes; not sure I'm liking that direction. HO scale plastic cars? "Game cards?" My initial impression of that is "meh, another money pit." I'll wait for the KS to show up and take a look, but for now this is simply providing me more drive to go find where I hid my old '90's copy of the game and play old school Car Wars.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember, Car Wars Classic or whatever they call it will still be available so you can use your slide rulers and spreadsheets to your heart's content with the Old School ways.

I for one am looking forward to seeing what they put out for the plastic cars and stuff. Hopefully it goes well with my Devil's Run vehicles and the slew of heavily modified and converted Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars I have.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
navajas wrote:
But, but, making cars was easily the best thing about that game.

Man I'm with you. I'd spend hours doing this in high school. Loved (LOVED!!!) the Uncle Alberts catalogs.

Truth told tho, there is absolutely no way I could commit that kind of time today.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Harvey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm still detecting a Star Wars Armada vibe.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like board games more than most people.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
mbmbmb
dkearns wrote:
I'd spend hours doing this in high school.Truth told tho, there is absolutely no way I could commit that kind of time today.


Good news - you don't have to.

http://carwars.opentools.org/

Fan based design site that not only lets you design a vehicle in five minutes (assuming you are familiar with the design rules) but also creates a vehicle schematic for you to print.

My interest in 6e has waned as they've moved to HO scale, faction sets, and card based design.

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
navajas wrote:
the Xwing generation.


Having played a ton of x-wing at my FLGS and at tournaments all over the place, the "x-wing generation" and the "car wars 1st/2nd edition generation" have a huge overlap! I am maybe 5-7 years older than the average x-wing player I have encountered and I bought Car Wars 1E when it was first released!

Thankfully the Car Wars classic is still in print and available for those who want to play old school, while this new edition will provide an option for those who want to play a car combat game but don't have the time to teach/play the old version.

I, for one, am quite excited to see this new edition!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
jakecarol wrote:
Remember, Car Wars Classic or whatever they call it will still be available so you can use your slide rulers and spreadsheets to your heart's content with the Old School ways.


Sure but it's an old system. 6th was a chance to modernize it. Instead they seem to be turning it into a mass market game. They tried this in the last Car Wars iteration and it didn't go well.



1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Eagle River
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
Gaming in Greater Anchorage area, Alaska since 1978. Looking for Indy-willing RPG players in Eagle River (or willing to drive to Eagle River). Geekmail me if interested.
badge
The Shattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
galfridus wrote:
jakecarol wrote:
Remember, Car Wars Classic or whatever they call it will still be available so you can use your slide rulers and spreadsheets to your heart's content with the Old School ways.


Sure but it's an old system. 6th was a chance to modernize it. Instead they seem to be turning it into a mass market game. They tried this in the last Car Wars iteration and it didn't go well.


5th ed was a half-assed botch of an an attempt at it. It was just far enough to not be compatible, and it lacked a published design system, and not far enough to actually get the mass market game level of complexity, and was further hampered by not being actually placed well into the mass market sales channels. (No offense to the involved parties.)

6E is
(1) streamlined down to mass market's "high complexity" end.
(2) positioned to be in the mass market sales channel.
(3) includes design system.

I can't say I'm hopeful about it as a gamer's game, but it's definitely positioned for market success as a high end casual game. I do wish they'd change the name...
3 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey LEPIETON
France
flag msg tools
Amazing news thank's !

I'm a french fan of race car board games (the last I'm playing, the very good and smart "Thunder Race").

I played Car Wars French Edition, and 5th. I bought the US Deluxe Edition too

Hope the 6th Edition will have different rules levels.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Abson
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
mb
aramis wrote:

I can't say I'm hopeful about it as a gamer's game, but it's definitely positioned for market success as a high end casual game. I do wish they'd change the name...


I'm not bothered about the change in game weight (quite happy in fact), but an extra sub-name (whatever you call the bit after the main name) might highlight the newness of this game. At it's most simple, something like 'Car Wars 2100'. But then, the entire packaging and marketing should also do that job.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Harvey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
kabson wrote:
aramis wrote:

I can't say I'm hopeful about it as a gamer's game, but it's definitely positioned for market success as a high end casual game. I do wish they'd change the name...


I'm not bothered about the change in game weight (quite happy in fact), but an extra sub-name (whatever you call the bit after the main name) might highlight the newness of this game. At it's most simple, something like 'Car Wars 2100'. But then, the entire packaging and marketing should also do that job.


I think this is my problem with the name. AFAIK Car Wars was the first of its kind and invented the word 'Autodueling.' All other car fighting games that have appeared over the years I would quite happily call 'Car Wars-esque.'

Now Cars Wars itself is going to be Car Wars-esque.


I like the idea of a supplementary name:- Car Wars eXtreme, Cars Wars Overdrive, Car Wars Next Generation, Car Wars: A New Scope.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Schmitt
United States
South Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
caracfergus wrote:
Car Wars: A New Scope.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Geraghty
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
aramis wrote:
galfridus wrote:
jakecarol wrote:
Remember, Car Wars Classic or whatever they call it will still be available so you can use your slide rulers and spreadsheets to your heart's content with the Old School ways.


Sure but it's an old system. 6th was a chance to modernize it. Instead they seem to be turning it into a mass market game. They tried this in the last Car Wars iteration and it didn't go well.


5th ed was a half-assed botch of an an attempt at it. It was just far enough to not be compatible, and it lacked a published design system, and not far enough to actually get the mass market game level of complexity, and was further hampered by not being actually placed well into the mass market sales channels. (No offense to the involved parties.)

6E is
(1) streamlined down to mass market's "high complexity" end.
(2) positioned to be in the mass market sales channel.
(3) includes design system.

I can't say I'm hopeful about it as a gamer's game, but it's definitely positioned for market success as a high end casual game. I do wish they'd change the name...


How about AUTODUEL!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain UK
msg tools
I'd like to see some pics of components. Preview a few cards and a car model or two.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Reed
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bobblehead wrote:
I'd like to see some pics of components. Preview a few cards and a car model or two.


We're slowly getting to the point we can start revealing components. Not there yet, but we will post when the graphic design is along far enough to start sharing.

Also:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/318623315005784/permalink/51...

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Reed
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kabson wrote:
aramis wrote:

I can't say I'm hopeful about it as a gamer's game, but it's definitely positioned for market success as a high end casual game. I do wish they'd change the name...


I'm not bothered about the change in game weight (quite happy in fact), but an extra sub-name (whatever you call the bit after the main name) might highlight the newness of this game. At it's most simple, something like 'Car Wars 2100'. But then, the entire packaging and marketing should also do that job.



The packaging and marketing will do that job, yes. The Car Wars title is not leaving.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like board games more than most people.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
mbmbmb
caracfergus wrote:

I think this is my problem with the name.


Phil confirms that it will not lose the Car Wars name and for good reason - new players who don't know the Car Wars name have no dog in the fight and the title plays well on the similarity to Star Wars which they may know about.

Old Skool players have nostalgia going for them so to throw that away for a brand new title would not be a good marketing move.

However, the point about adding a subtitle is well taken.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like board games more than most people.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
mbmbmb
aramis wrote:

6E is
(1) streamlined down to mass market's "high complexity" end.


Geekgold for diplomatically saying it's been dumbed down.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Harvey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
kjamma4 wrote:
caracfergus wrote:

I think this is my problem with the name.


Phil confirms that it will not lose the Car Wars name and for good reason - new players who don't know the Car Wars name have no dog in the fight and the title plays well on the similarity to Star Wars which they may know about.

Old Skool players have nostalgia going for them so to throw that away for a brand new title would not be a good marketing move.

However, the point about adding a subtitle is well taken.

The thing is, some of the older stuff marked Car Wars is not going to be compatible while some things, the arenas for instance, will be.

Easy enough to slap on a sticker saying 'This product is compatible with Car Wars: The Rolls Royce Phantom Menace.' whistle
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Reed
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
caracfergus wrote:
kjamma4 wrote:
caracfergus wrote:

I think this is my problem with the name.


Phil confirms that it will not lose the Car Wars name and for good reason - new players who don't know the Car Wars name have no dog in the fight and the title plays well on the similarity to Star Wars which they may know about.

Old Skool players have nostalgia going for them so to throw that away for a brand new title would not be a good marketing move.

However, the point about adding a subtitle is well taken.

The thing is, some of the older stuff marked Car Wars is not going to be compatible while some things, the arenas for instance, will be.

Easy enough to slap on a sticker saying 'This product is compatible with Car Wars: The Rolls Royce Phantom Menace.' whistle


None of the older material is compatible with the new game. I hope we haven't shared anything that contradicts that, because we have no plans at all for the game to work with the older editions.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain UK
msg tools
Thanks for showing the pics. Wasteland chassis? In the vid you mentioned cars of different colour plastic for the different factions. Would it affect gameplay if we were to paint our models in colours different to the faction colour?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Reed
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bobblehead wrote:
Would it affect gameplay if we were to paint our models in colours different to the faction colour?


The faction bases are in color. Paint your car as much as you like! Everyone looking at the table will still be able to tell, for example, which one is the red player by looking at the base.

The game supports "one player, one car" out of the box. Expansions will open opportunity for multiple cars under the control of a single player, but not at launch. The focus out of the box is for a group to get into a nasty free-for-all and battle it out.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Sun Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What! You want us to move our cars on little bases instead of rolling them around freely on the table? Sacrilege!

Seriously though, are there going to be any significant changes to the movement system, more specifically is it staying similar to a miniatures game where you can move anywhere you want, barring obstacles, on the table? In other words more like the original, or something new?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.