12 Posts

For the People» Forums » Rules

Subject: Is it possible to Intercept a retreating force? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr. Smurff
Spain
flag msg tools
I've been looking for this in the forums and I couldn't find a solution to this situation. Apologies if this has been answered before.

The hypothetical case would be:
Player A attacks out of supply a given space O, looses the battle and consequently retreats to space S, which is controlled by player B.
Player B has a force F with a general (army, corps or cavalry brigade) in a space T adjacent to S.

Can player B use the force F in T to intercept into adjacent S after player A has retreated his OOS attacking force following defeat in O?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gautier

Rhinebeck
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, interception occurs only during movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Smurff
Spain
flag msg tools
Thanks Jon. Could you please refer me to the section of the rules that specifies that? From what I can read:
Quote:
5.81 INTERCEPTION PROCEDURE:
Any force with a general (not a general alone) may attempt interception. An interception can occur whenever an active enemy force enters an adjacent road/rail connected space that does not contain an enemy SP or fort.

I can't inferr the timing restriction you're pointing out.

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gautier

Rhinebeck
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The next section speaks of interception only in terms of movement, not post battle.

And no, it's not explicitly stated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Smurff
Spain
flag msg tools
Thanks Jon!

Although your answer is what I would think is the correct interpretation of the rulebook (and so what I'd have done in my game), I still think the rulebook leaves open space for the course of action described in the OP.
Let's see if anybody else can enlighten me on this issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gunderian007 wrote:
In most games terminology is valuable, and Mark Herman is a very smart(and nice btw) guy/designer.

So the distinction between Move and Retreat is critical in this question.

Interception may be attempted 'Once per Move.'

This is clear, and even more restrictive than say 'during movement' or if the rules said 'when an enemy force is adjacent.'

Most rules problems arise from thinking too hard and implying terms that are not written. Also, confusing different game designs.

Thank you for the kind remarks and you have it exactly right. Retreat is not movement. Also, to the OP, remember you can only attempt interception once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In many historical situations, retreating troops were able to travel much more quickly than troops following march orders. Perhaps this is because the retreating troops often threw away equipment to speed their progress, or perhaps it's just that they had a stronger motivation.

But it's not unrealistic to say that troops under orders can't move fast enough to get ahead of retreating troops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Smurff
Spain
flag msg tools
Thank you all (and specially to Paul and Mark) for your kind answers. Of course, rules work as expected. Only that, as pointed by Paul, I missed the distinction between Move and Retreat.

On the interception definition quoted above, I assumed the technical bit was active in "active enemy force", and I couldn't find anywhere in the rules stating that a retreating force fleeing from an issued battle wasn't active. Obviously movement is properly defined in a preceding section 5.12 creating a clear distinction in between what is a movement and what is not.

I've moved one step further towards rules enlightenment with your help for which I am very thankful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
barrufet wrote:
Thank you all (and specially to Paul and Mark) for your kind answers. Of course, rules work as expected. Only that, as pointed by Paul, I missed the distinction between Move and Retreat.

On the interception definition quoted above, I assumed the technical bit was active in "active enemy force", and I couldn't find anywhere in the rules stating that a retreating force fleeing from an issued battle wasn't active. Obviously movement is properly defined in a preceding section 5.12 creating a clear distinction in between what is a movement and what is not.

I've moved one step further towards rules enlightenment with your help for which I am very thankful.

Think of it this way, the only active force is the one being moved. All retreating forces are by definition and inference not active as they are not the force that has been activated to move.

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.