Talisman (Revised 4th Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Two Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lianne Koorn
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Hi everyone!

Yesterday I've played Talisman with the following expansions: Woodlands, Sacred Pool, Fireland, Frostmarch.

Although there are a lot of fun cards in play. It seems like we don't encounter a lot of creatures. Which expansions can I buy to give the adventure deck a creature boost?

Next question is about the Destiny cards from the woodlands. It says for example: increase your life value by 1. Normally it would say: gain/add, heal or replenish. But what is increase? Do you increase your value by not adding an actual life to your pool, but when you can replenish you can take 1 more than printed on your character? Or do you add an actual life to your pool?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out this thread for card type amounts/percentages for each expansion:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/737254/deck-statisticsperce...

Quote:
Do you increase your value by not adding an actual life to your pool, but when you can replenish you can take 1 more than printed on your character?
Yes. Your Life Value is your starting Life, so increasing it increases your maximum Life for healing purposes.

Same with "Fate Value". Your starting quota is increased and you can replenish more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Trayers
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my house rules offers a solution.

The adventure deck is made of Strength and Craft Enemies as well as Events and Strangers.

The other adventure cards (Objects, Magic Objects, Followers, and Places) are kept in four seperate stacks.

After winning an Enemy encounter, roll one die:
1: You get nothing further.
2: You rescued a Follower.
3: You discovered a Place.
4 and 5: You get an Object if the enemy was power 1-3, or you get a Magic Object if the enemy was power 4+.
6: Your choice.

The player would draw their rewards from the appropriate stack, and can use Fate tokens to re-roll. These rewards are in addition to the trophy of the defeated Enemy.

With just the base game or a few expansions, this actually makes the Adventure deck too small, but once you add in quite a few expansions, the Adventure deck can get too high and unwieldy, and this solved that issue for us as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon New
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
Text coming soon... probably...
badge
Get tipsy and fight a farmer with Strength 3
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a nice way of encountering the decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is a pretty solid approach Robert.

Personally I just build my adventure deck. I think it's silly to simply take all cards from whatever expansions you have and just add it all. The worst problem we experienced was literally 10 times around the table with 4 players and not a single monster drawn. Then the next monster drawn was a Strength 10.

After that I sat down with the base game, and recorded a lot of data on the composition of the adventure deck. Then I pretty much doubled that. Tried to maintain the amount of encounters at various Strength/Craft, etc. One change I made however was to strip the deck of any item that was in a purchase deck, and replace those with cooler items. I mean even though armor is a fine item to find, it's better to get the magical version that also works in Craft fights.

I tweaked the Dungeon deck with the cards from The Dragon expansion that I wasn't using anyway. Sure that deck looks odd with 4 different backs... but it's really hard to get much of a clue from that. The Dungeon deck has double the frequency of encounters as the base Adventure deck, and the average strength of the creatures is at least 3pts higher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.