Subject: Tigris & Euphrates is perfect, what's next?? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David SL
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey all,

Me and my friend had a two player game of Tigris & Euphrates last night, after playing it 3 player the week before. Every time I play this game I can't get over just how perfectly designed it is. We were discussing how this is often described as fairly 'dry' on theme, but both agreed that for us, the theme is very strong. I see kingdoms growing and being invaded, peaceful settlements ready for growth in distant lands, etc, etc. I also love that plans can go awry, and you can be very political with your choices.

In short, T&E is definitely one of my favourite board games. So the real question is, what do I get next to match this, or at least give me that same feeling of tactics and freedom of choice?

I already own Sekigahara, a brilliant war game that gets recommended a lot (and quite rightly). The two I'm looking at right now are:

Kemet (which has been on my list for ages but I've always held back on)
Quartermaster General (the simplicity fascinates me)

Help!

Thanks all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Themistoklis Dakanalis
Greece
Heraklion
Crete
flag msg tools
Avid Euro Gamer
badge
Novice Board Game Designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Castles of Burgundy is definitely what you are looking for !!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Hjelmberg
Sweden
Saltsjö-Boo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Reef Encounter may give you the same feeling.

You expand reefs similar to how you expand kingdoms. However, you need to set up a chain of actions to be able to capitalize (or literally eat) your reef.

In addition, you can influence the relative strength and score of the different reef colors.

Reef Encounter still didn't beat Tigris & Euphrates but after hundreds of played games, I don't expect any game to do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan T
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Samurai, designed by Knizia and currently available from FFG is also a FANTASTIC strategic tile-laying game. It's *much* simpler than T&E, but there's a surprising depth to the strategy. To me, it feels like a really precise hybrid of T&E and Battle Line. It plays great for 2-4 players.

I wouldn't say it's "perfect" like T&E, but it does have a high degree of elegance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Vaughan
flag msg tools
T&E and Sekigahara are among my favourite games as well, so maybe check out my ratings I will echo Reef Encounter and Samurai being ones to look at, and will also add Tammany Hall (if you can get 4 or 5 players).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
El Grande
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David SL
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks all!

I actually own Samurai, it was THE game I was waiting for from the Euro Classics line, as I'd heard great things and it's one of my favourite themes. I really like it, but I haven't yet played it enough to discover the depth. Tigris & Euphrates just clicked instantly for me, when explaining the rules I've had many 'Aha!' moments where the theme and rules just make perfect sense to me. For example last night I thought that after a war has taken place maybe a player might get a victory token for the tile laid that started the war, but felt that was too difficult and unnecessary. Turns out the rules make this simple by saying that any tile laid that starts a conflict doesn't gain you victory tokens. It makes perfect thematic sense, this isn't some settlement generating income, it's location has caused conflict, there is no time to rest and collect rewards!

It is design and depth of strategy that I'm looking for, and as such I have decided to finally order Kemet. I think this is a game that will suit me and my friends perfectly, and after playing T&E last night I feel it's more of those experiences I want: rivalry, tactics and a game we can get excited about each time we open the box.

Thanks for the recommendations, please do keep them coming! I'm always in the market for that next game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
Canada
flag msg tools
I'll echo the suggestion for El Grande-- as far as clever area control goes, it might be able to give you the same sensation of satisfaction you find from Tigris.

Otherwise? I think part of the reason I enjoy Tigris & Euphrates so much is that it's a very aggressive euro with no cards. I find, for whatever reason, Hansa Teutonica scratches the same itch. Map-based play, rewards experienced players, multiple paths to victory, very aggressive without feeling cruel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.