Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
24 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: 2-player co op games with lots of replayability? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Ciantar
Malta
flag msg tools
mb
I need a game that doesnt get stale after 50 plays. Must be co op and great with 2 players. I was thinking of Dead of Winter but heard its not so good with 2 players.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen 3h
Netherlands
Zwolle
flag msg tools
mb
What about Pandemic?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord of the Rings the Card Game never gets stale (esp if you're willing to shell out the cash for additional adventure packs)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Ciantar
Malta
flag msg tools
mb
Professor X wrote:
Lord of the Rings the Card Game never gets stale (esp if you're willing to shell out the cash for additional adventure packs)


The core game has only 3 quests and each advnture pack adds only 1 quest hmm... so maybe 25-30 quests? Can get stale fairly quickly I think, after doing those 30 quests what do I do next?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Brandonboards wrote:
I need a game that doesnt get stale after 50 plays. Must be co op and great with 2 players. I was thinking of Dead of Winter but heard its not so good with 2 players.


In this cult of the new, I doubt there are many games that would sustain 50 plays without expansions. I like most coops with just two people. A few good ones:

Ravens of Thri Sahashri
Ghost Stories
Pandemic
Mage Knight
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Simpson
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
FUSE is our most played game this year.

Aeon's End will havea ton of replay and variability. Comes out later this year.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Brandonboards wrote:
The core game has only 3 quests and each advnture pack adds only 1 quest hmm... so maybe 25-30 quests? Can get stale fairly quickly I think, after doing those 30 quests what do I do next?


Right now there are 81 official quests (plus a lot of those exist in Nightmare variants), if I counted correctly.

Also, you do not play a single quest once. You will build different decks and try different combinations. You can easily play a single quest a dozen times, before it might get a little stale... and once you did that with all the other quests that are around, it will be fresh again, since it is now 2 years later.

Bye
Thanee
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arvid Alfredsson Grahn
Sweden
flag msg tools
I really don't enjoy co op games, but my experience playing Mage Knight in co op mode was really memorable and since the game is also great as a solo or in competitive mode with more than one player, it would probably stay interesting for a long time.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dianne N.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Personally I like Dead of Winter with two players, enough variability in the crossroads cards and scenarios for lots of replay, and still plenty of tension.

Another one I'm liking is Descent 2nd Edition with the Road to Legend App. You have to move monsters for the overlord, but the app is really good for telling you what to do so you can play fully co-op and the first full campaign is free.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Christensen
United States
SLC
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll cast my vote for Shadowrun Crossfire. With a one time purchase of the core game, you get a TON of replayability with a lot of character progression to keep working at. It's a tough game and you can run into some bad luck with draws, but once you get the hang of it, you see how largely skill actually plays into it. You will see your win percentage go up because of how you play and improve. It's very satisfying for me and my GF. We can set it up and do a run in 45 minutes.

I happen to love LotR and own 2/3 of the content FFG has released for it, so it's a good choice too. It's just more of a money sink and a big chunk of the fun is spent outside the game, building your decks to conquer a specific scenario.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Legendary with the challenge modes from the Dark City expansion can be played purely cooperatively.
You may find that it still needs another expansion or two to make it to 50 plays (or you may very well not), but with all the expansions currently available (not including the ridiculously hard to get a hold of Fantastic Four expansion), 50 plays should be just scratching the surface. Plays cooperatively very well with 2 or 3, but doesn't scale up to 4 or 5 as well.

Arkham Horror would probably need at least 1 big box (Dunwich or Innsmouth) and 1 small box (King in Yellow or Curse of the Dark Pharaoh, or maybe Lurker at the Threshold, if you are finding that adding in the big box makes things too difficult) to get to 50 plays.
With just the base game, and especially the first few plays, 1 investigator each should work fine for Arkham. By the time you are adding in the big box expansion you might want to be playing with 2 investigators each.
Notes: I would never tell someone to start with more than just the base game of Arkham Horror, but I think the strategic depth really just begins to shine with a big box and small box expansion - bear in mind I'm still not telling you to start with more than just the base game (at least 1 play with each Ancient One, and quite possibly a second or third as you get better with the rules, tactics, and strategies). Many players prefer to only ever add 1 big box and 1 small box expansion in at a time; quite a few, perhaps just as many, prefer all expansions added in all of the time. If you do ever build up to all 3 board expansions, you will pretty much need to be playing with 6 investigators, or 3 investigators each with 2 players. Should you ever want to play with more than 4 players, please make sure that roughly half of the players are fairly experienced with the game.

Bulwark is another coop deck builder that plays well with 2. It is difficult to gauge just how many expansions you would need to get to 50 plays. In part this is due to the distribution method through Drive Thru Cards, which can be either a la carte or in sets, as print and play files or produced cards. I think the base sets and two expansions might get you to 50 plays. Bear in mind that Magistra Csenge and Magister Kelemen from the Travails of the Arcane expansion set are the two most difficult to play heroes, so you might want to look at other expansion sets first. The base set, Winter of Death (base set 2), Twisty Passages (expansion 3), and Panic on the Streets (expansion 4) might be a good start toward 50 plays.
Note: some people are put off by the lack of art for the game.

Dark Gothic is a competitive deck builder with rules for coop play that are broken, but can work okay with some tweaking. Note that one of the tweaks mentioned in the original post of that thread has been made official in the Colonial Horror expansion (as shown in a post near the bottom of the thread as it currently stands). The game is light and quick enough that you can easily make it 50 plays with a fair amount of variety in game play, though the aforementioned expansion might be necessary in terms of different heroes and bosses.
Works quite well with 2 players.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Eldritch Horror. The base game comes with a good number of Great Old One and I think 12 investigators.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Smith
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
BattleCON: Devastation of Indines is quite replayable and caters for 2 co-op
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight Board Game.

50 plays would take you 50 days if you played every day. It (can be) a very long game (4-6 hours). Shorter scenarios exist though. This is the only game I think I'll always love.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Simpson
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
79strat wrote:
Mage Knight Board Game.

50 plays would take you 50 days if you played every day. It (can be) a very long game (4-6 hours). Shorter scenarios exist though. This is the only game I think I'll always love.


As the owner of my former copy of Mage Knight, you know that we hated it as a coop lol...so just throwing a word of warning to the OP, it's not for everyone
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J .M
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Co-Op Game with the best replayability I know of is Sentinels of the Multiverse . I'd throw in the at least the Sentinels of the Multiverse: Rook City & Infernal Relics Expansion expansion to really open up the replay value.

The only drawback to the game is that it is fiddly as all get out to play on the tabletop but it has a fantastic digital version.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Glass_Chameleon wrote:
The Co-Op Game with the best replayability I know of is Sentinels of the Multiverse . I'd throw in the at least the Sentinels of the Multiverse: Rook City & Infernal Relics Expansion expansion to really open up the replay value.

The only drawback to the game is that it is fiddly as all get out to play on the tabletop but it has a fantastic digital version.

I like Sentinels quite a bit, and easily have over 50 plays - possibly over 100. It doesn't play as well 2 player though. You either have to play Vengeance-style, requiring Sentinels of the Multiverse: Vengeance and/or Sentinels of the Multiverse: Villains of the Multiverse, which makes the game particularly fiddly (though I do find vengeance-style better with fewer players), play multiple heroes, use a variant here on the geek, or just concede that some villains will not work terribly well (being either too hard or too easy). While I still enjoy Sentinels, even with just 2 players, it isn't something I would tend to recommend for primarily 2 player gaming.

As a side note, the app is available for iOS, Android, and on Steam, is often on sale or dropped to a reasonable price and as indicated is such a good digital representation of a card game that I would say it pretty much sets the bar for digital implementations of card/board games. It would likely be the best way to try Sentinels to see if you would want to pick up a physical copy; and for 4-5 player cooperative gaming, I would highly recommend doing so.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J .M
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tuckerotl wrote:

I like Sentinels quite a bit, and easily have over 50 plays - possibly over 100. It doesn't play as well 2 player though. You either have to play Vengeance-style, requiring Sentinels of the Multiverse: Vengeance and/or Sentinels of the Multiverse: Villains of the Multiverse, which makes the game particularly fiddly (though I do find vengeance-style better with fewer players), play multiple heroes, use a variant here on the geek, or just concede that some villains will not work terribly well (being either too hard or too easy). While I still enjoy Sentinels, even with just 2 players, it isn't something I would tend to recommend for primarily 2 player gaming.


I have to admit I've only ever played it solo but I don't see any problem with each player controlling two heroes. I play it solo controlling 3-5 heroes myself.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Harding
United States
Mount Pleasant
South Carolina
flag msg tools
merely a dingbat pushing little wooden bits around a game board
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Brandonboards wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Lord of the Rings the Card Game never gets stale (esp if you're willing to shell out the cash for additional adventure packs)


The core game has only 3 quests and each advnture pack adds only 1 quest hmm... so maybe 25-30 quests? Can get stale fairly quickly I think, after doing those 30 quests what do I do next?


Ha! After you played through those 30 (or more than 80, but who's counting?) the first time, then you'd go back and play them again, but actually try to beat them this time. My wife and I have just finished the second cycle. Adding in a few player-made scenarios, we've probably played about 25 scenarios, and have more than 100 plays.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ad Astra Per Aspera
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are.
badge
Preserve Our Wildlife!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The only co-op game I found that I like would be FUSE. Only because, due to the time clock of the game, it's impossible to see the Alpha Gamer pop up. If he/she does try to dictate the game it's an automatic loss. You barely have time to tend to your own cards much less tell anyone else what to do.

That being said, I don't think there's a game out there that wouldn't get at least somewhat stale after 50 plays.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Simpson
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Maddest Hatter wrote:
The only co-op game I found that I like would be FUSE. Only because, due to the time clock of the game, it's impossible to see the Alpha Gamer pop up. If he/she does try to dictate the game it's an automatic loss. You barely have time to tend to your own cards much less tell anyone else what to do.

That being said, I don't think there's a game out there that wouldn't get at least somewhat stale after 50 plays.


*Ahem*...I just counted...52 recorded fuse wins in the app... Who knows how many losses to couple with that
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dingbat Meeplepusher wrote:
Adding in a few player-made scenarios, we've probably played about 25 scenarios, and have more than 100 plays.
Well, I played the third scenario from the LotR LCG core set over 100 times before I managed to win it solo... zombie
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am Abomination
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
coldkorn wrote:
FUSE is our most played game this year.

Aeon's End will havea ton of replay and variability. Comes out later this year.


Nice to see someone is joining my "Aeon's End needs more love" crusade!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Brandonboards wrote:

The core game has only 3 quests and each advnture pack adds only 1 quest hmm... so maybe 25-30 quests? Can get stale fairly quickly I think, after doing those 30 quests what do I do next?



Friends and I have played the first 9 adventures + the 3 from the Moria deluxe pack a few times, and by a few times I mean we played the game 80 times so far.

Still only halfway in all the adventures I have so still plenty of game left.

You'll want some kind of card organizer like broken tokens so you can keep all the cards in the original game box.

If you build the decks with your friend then the co-op starts before you even get to play, and if you play with keeping your cards "secret" then you avoid the alpha-leader problem.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.