Subject: Anyone have some good tips for a pair of newbs? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
dave Snell
England
flag msg tools
mb
Hi everyone,

My wife and I play together and really enjoy MoM; we have played the first quest three times and the second twice, and lost every time. We play one investigator each and try to mix up the spread of skills; usually we have one good fighter and one smart character between us.

Aypnyone have any general tips for what we might be doing wrong? For the first we tried to fight our way out at the end but got flattened by horror checks from some pretty big monsters; prior to that we would try to be selective with what we did and keep moving.

Second quest went even worse; not only did we get trollied by spawning enemies, but we ended up trapped between fire and a mob, having not really achieved much.

Any vets got any good, general tips for play and things we could consider for our next game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Note: this post may contain possible (minor) spoilers.

1. Don't search every token you encounter. Be a bit selective about it.
2. Don't chase after monsters; they'll come for you eventually.
3. Kill weak monsters ASAP.
4. Spend your clue tokens. They are not useful lying on your character sheet.
5. Know when to spread out and when to convene. When you played a scenario a couple of times this becomes easier.

Some specifics for scenario 1:
Don't smash the urn.
Don't read the incantation.
You don't need to save the butler or find the log. Chose one of the two, ignore the other room.
Get two fighting characters as this scenario is quite combat heavy.
Rita young and Montery Jack is a good combo to use.

Lastly, a rule check: you need to perform a maximum of 1 evade and horror check, regardless of the number of monsters on your space.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Robinson
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first quest is definitely designed to be beaten far more often than lost (so as not to discourage new players), so I'd imagine there's a good chance you're getting a rule wrong -- that or having very unlucky rolls.

Do you know you have to hit your wound/horror number twice before you're actually dead, and that even then the other player has another round to beat the mission?

SPOILER FOR MISSION ONE:

At the very end don't try to fight your way out, just grab the item and RUN.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps try playing with 2 characters each?

2 fighting characters and 2 support characters.

Father Mateo's ability is VERY helpful. Wendy Adams can be a killing machine if you can find a bladed or ranged weapon for her (which can be done by helping a certain NPC).

Also, keep in mind that there are two end game scenarios in this story. One is far more puzzle-centric. If you want to go the later route, focus on killing the monsters and let the endgame play itself out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Use Healing investigators. Those that do some kind of self-healing or healing of others like Carolyn Fern or Jenny Barnes. As mentioned above, do not search everything. There is a definite timer in each mission, and if you spend a bunch of actions searching everything (including rooms) you run out of time. There's usually two timers: the main story, then the "taken too long" part (things ramp up and become significantly more challenging).

Lastly, if you do really want to take it easy and search everything, you can ease the difficulty by allowing every investigator 3 action instead of 2.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And don't forget the action that allows you to roll agility to put out fires!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave Snell
England
flag msg tools
mb
Some awesome suggestions, thank you.

In our first game we tried to take the item and run at the end; unfortunately the star spawn pinned one character, and a combo of horror rolls and failed evade rolls meant the other kept dropping stuff, then having to try to pick it up. We ended up with a hallway full of blood and gore

Definitely seems we were not rushing enough; we were trying to search all the rooms,and sometimes wasting two turns to get to one item in the corner of a room. It seems that's a daft idea

Losing the butler seems to be a big problem because of the horror hit you take when he dies, but fighting to save him also seems tough. I guess we just stick at it - thank you everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Use Healing investigators. Those that do some kind of self-healing or healing of others like Carolyn Fern or Jenny Barnes. As mentioned above, do not search everything. There is a definite timer in each mission, and if you spend a bunch of actions searching everything (including rooms) you run out of time. There's usually two timers: the main story, then the "taken too long" part (things ramp up and become significantly more challenging).

Lastly, if you do really want to take it easy and search everything, you can ease the difficulty by allowing every investigator 3 action instead of 2.

-shnar

Those characters are not a part of the base game, however. I'm not even sure they are necessary. I've never seen a character take one of the injured status cards, and while going insane could be super bad, the penalty of not getting a second move action each turn isn't so bad.

I'm wondering if they aren't getting a rule wrong somehow and making it more difficult then the game needs to be. Either that, or maybe the game scales difficulty for lower player counts oddly. I've only played at 3 & 5.

Edit - Huge TIP. You can preview tokens by clicking on them as a way of knowing which characters should be doing different tasks. This will save you a lot when it comes to being efficient with your limited actions.

Of course, I don't see a problem in just giving yourselves an extra action each turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scottatlaw wrote:
I've never seen a character take one of the injured status cards...

I am not sure you and I are playing the same game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave Snell
England
flag msg tools
mb
scottatlaw wrote:
I'm wondering if they aren't getting a rule wrong somehow and making it more difficult then the game needs to be. Either that, or maybe the game scales difficulty for lower player counts oddly. I've only played at 3 & 5.

Edit - Huge TIP. You can preview tokens by clicking on them as a way of knowing which characters should be doing different tasks. This will save you a lot when it comes to being efficient with your limited actions.

Of course, I don't see a problem in just giving yourselves an extra action each turn.

I'm not sure on the rule, we did follow the intro twice so I cant see how. The ones likeliest to be problematic in my eyes are range and checks (that was quite easy in terms of thematics, a closed door hides the horror); combat is pretty straight forward too. I think we just focussed too heavily on interacting with everything and exploring every room.

By the end of the first game we hadn't gone into the kitchen, which was our first mistake. It also felt impossible to outrun anything, as en doing a double move only gives you four spaces, and often then enemies can catch you in their turn. It seemed we failed mostly thanks to a horrible cycle of dropping stuff, getting hit, suffering horror, then having to pick up (and hopefully pass evade), then run (having to pass evade again). That on an already insane character was a bit much; the other investigator was in a locked cycle of pain with a star spawn, which was hoped to be enough to give the first one room to run...

For the innsmouth quest, we just failed a few checks and wasted a lot of turns exploring the map. By the time we found some evidence there was too many creatures on the board which was enough to flatten us - a mob, a child of Dagon, a deep one, and two half breeds.....

Edit: I will add though, it has all been fantastically thematic and a ton of fun. It's possibly edging out Catacombs as my favourite game ever....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:
scottatlaw wrote:
I've never seen a character take one of the injured status cards...

I am not sure you and I are playing the same game!

I should have qualified that with "in the first scenario".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
H1ppyDave wrote:
scottatlaw wrote:

I'm not sure on the rule, we did follow the intro twice so I cant see how. The ones likeliest to be problematic in my eyes are range and checks (that was quite easy in terms of thematics, a closed door hides the horror); combat is pretty straight forward too. I think we just focussed too heavily on interacting with everything and exploring every room.

By the end of the first game we hadn't gone into the kitchen, which was our first mistake. It also felt impossible to outrun anything, as en doing a double move only gives you four spaces, and often then enemies can catch you in their turn. It seemed we failed mostly thanks to a horrible cycle of dropping stuff, getting hit, suffering horror, then having to pick up (and hopefully pass evade), then run (having to pass evade again). That on an already insane character was a bit much; the other investigator was in a locked cycle of pain with a star spawn, which was hoped to be enough to give the first one room to run...

For the innsmouth quest, we just failed a few checks and wasted a lot of turns exploring the map. By the time we found some evidence there was too many creatures on the board which was enough to flatten us - a mob, a child of Dagon, a deep one, and two half breeds.....

Edit: I will add though, it has all been fantastically thematic and a ton of fun. It's possibly edging out Catacombs as my favourite game ever....

Perhaps try fighting it out with the monsters in the first scenario. You should start with a weapon that one of the two characters can use. You shouldn't be afraid of unarmed combat either, so long as your character has decent strength and/or agility stats. Also, don't underestimate the "focused" status, esp. for combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Mccrotch
msg tools
Play more investigators. Every scenario to date is much easier with five than two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan De Smet
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I've played the first scenario with 2, 4, and 5 players, and the second two 2 and 5 players. My overall assessment is that the game is way harder with only two investigators. My suggestion is to play two investigators each.

I'm certain why, but my current theory is that while the monster health (and maybe number appearing) scale with number of players, the number of things interactive/searchable things doesn't. More players means you can spread out a bit more and get more things done in parallel. Particularly in search/interact/explore/person heavy locations, that can eat up a lot of time.

For example, in the second scenario, when you...
Spoiler (click to reveal)
break into the store, in our two person game we never finished looting it. In our five person game, we descended on the store like locusts, dealing with all of the tokens and getting out all while being chased by a deep one hybrid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Fox
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alan_De_Smet wrote:
I've played the first scenario with 2, 4, and 5 players, and the second two 2 and 5 players. My overall assessment is that the game is way harder with only two investigators.

My wife and I have been playing 2p games only with each of us also only taking a single investigator. We've played the second scenario 4 times now and still have not won. Thus, I'm inclined to agree with the above comment: this is REALLY tough if you only have 2 investigators on the table. For our last attempt, we tried a house rule: each investigator took 3 actions instead of just 2 and any action could not be repeated more than twice per turn. Using this, we came VERY close to winning. The scaling conundrum does make sense. More investigators means the app will increase the difficulty level, but at least there are more of you to explore and search and acquire items. The 3 actions per investigator rule with two-investigator games solves this problem (or at least seems to strike a better balance in the second scenario. I will report back with scenarios 3 and 4 as well).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Harlan

Oregon
msg tools
mb
H1ppyDave wrote:
It also felt impossible to outrun anything, as en doing a double move only gives you four spaces, and often then enemies can catch you in their turn. It seemed we failed mostly thanks to a horrible cycle of dropping stuff, getting hit, suffering horror, then having to pick up (and hopefully pass evade), then run (having to pass evade again). That on an already insane character was a bit much; the other investigator was in a locked cycle of pain with a star spawn, which was hoped to be enough to give the first one room to run...

This might be where you're getting something wrong...
The App wrote:
The star spawn moves two spaces to be in range of as many investigators and attacks all investigators in range.
The Star Spawn attacks.
The Star Spawn cannot move into range.

With this instruction, if nothing is can be in range, nothing happens. The next instruction will be the monster's only movement. Because of this, most monsters only move 2 in a turn. You shouldn't have TOO MUCH trouble running away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Cantor
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mxyzptlk wrote:

With this instruction, if nothing is can be in range, nothing happens. The next instruction will be the monster's only movement. Because of this, most monsters only move 2 in a turn. You shouldn't have TOO MUCH trouble running away.

I keep reading that, and I agree, but then I keep seeing monsters activate with instructions to "move toward the nearest investigator", and then if nobody is in range to attack, it moves again. So it's 4 a turn, a *lot*. Not every time, not every monster, but frequently enough that running away appears to be fruitless to me in most cases until you're in an end-game "run away to win" scenario.

I'll have to keep reading the text and try and see where I'm mis-reading the instructions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More Mellotron wrote:
Mxyzptlk wrote:

I keep reading that, and I agree, but then I keep seeing monsters activate with instructions to "move toward the nearest investigator", and then if nobody is in range to attack, it moves again. So it's 4 a turn, a *lot*. Not every time, not every monster, but frequently enough that running away appears to be fruitless to me in most cases until you're in an end-game "run away to win" scenario.

I'll have to keep reading the text and try and see where I'm mis-reading the instructions.

But with those 4 movement they don't get to attack at the end, so you can still outrun them fairly easily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Cantor
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:

But with those 4 movement they don't get to attack at the end, so you can still outrun them fairly easily.

The attacking isn't the issue, it's the constant horror checks and evade checks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.