Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Space Hulk Expansions or this? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ricardo Pinheiro
Portugal
flag msg tools
Hi,

I have been playing Space Hulk Deah Angel and like it, of course I wanted the expansions, but then i started to think:
"with the price of the expansions I could buy Warhammer Quest, wich seems a update version of SHDA"...

So can you help me? Should I buy the expansions for SDHA or get this and have 2 games?

Or stay with SHDA and buy a really different game so I can have 2 different solo games?

Best regards

UPDATE: After reading about the FFG+GW end of contract,I ordered everything, expansions and WQACG,lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vadim Golembo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If your funds are limited then you should get the most for your money.
I vote for getting a completely different game.
Expansions will freshen up a game but it will still be that same but enhanced experience.
Find a game with a completely different mechanic just for variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Pinheiro
Portugal
flag msg tools
N0mE wrote:
If your funds are limited then you should get the most for your money.
I vote for getting a completely different game.
Expansions will freshen up a game but it will still be that same but enhanced experience.
Find a game with a completely different mechanic just for variety.

Thank you! I was thinking in Elder Sign, not Eldritch Horror, because it seems a little bit lengthy and a big footprint and setup time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
v b
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmb
They are VERY different games IMO and I own both. Personally I find WQC to be a more "enriched" experience however the instruction manual is AWFUL there is a very steep learning curve as you hit different corner cases.
SHDA is definitely more pick up and play and I love the positioning aspect of the game; but it is definitely less rich overall an experience. Both games are hard as hell btw. Which expansions were you specifically looking at?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oldschoolgamr
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would suggest the Marine Pack, Mission Pack, and the Tyrannid pack. The first two add variety and some really cool attack abilities. The later adds more difficult tyrannids - which can be punishing - but so fulfilling to win against, although they are expert for sure. The Deathwing marine expansion is my least played. The abilities are so restrictive and less useful - very frustrating. I never play them vs. the advanced tyrannids (expansion ones). Sometimes vs. default Genestealers, but really just not as fun as the standard corp marines.

Both games are good and I have lots of plays on both. Since my play time is more limited due to family and such I tend to get Death Angel out more often... Oh, and the expansion packs for WQ are good too.

Just note that WQ is pretty different than Death Angel. Worth having both, for sure.

So many decisions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Pinheiro
Portugal
flag msg tools
Skrell wrote:
They are VERY different games IMO and I own both. Personally I find WQC to be a more "enriched" experience however the instruction manual is AWFUL there is a very steep learning curve as you hit different corner cases.
SHDA is definitely more pick up and play and I love the positioning aspect of the game; but it is definitely less rich overall an experience. Both games are hard as hell btw. Which expansions were you specifically looking at?

Thanks!

It's strange, in the early posts people were saying both games were kinda similar, but seems that in the recent posts people don't think like that.

I have Space Marine Pack 1, Mission Pack 1 and the Tyrannid pack ordered, but since they are out of stock, i'm still thinking if I should cancel.

oldschoolgamr wrote:
I would suggest the Marine Pack, Mission Pack, and the Tyrannid pack. The first two add variety and some really cool attack abilities. The later adds more difficult tyrannids - which can be punishing - but so fulfilling to win against, although they are expert for sure. The Deathwing marine expansion is my least played. The abilities are so restrictive and less useful - very frustrating. I never play them vs. the advanced tyrannids (expansion ones). Sometimes vs. default Genestealers, but really just not as fun as the standard corp marines.

Both games are good and I have lots of plays on both. Since my play time is more limited due to family and such I tend to get Death Angel out more often... Oh, and the expansion packs for WQ are good too.

Just note that WQ is pretty different than Death Angel. Worth having both, for sure.

So many decisions!

Yeah many decisions!
Yeah, I ordered the first 3 expansions, don't have interest in the Deathwing.

You hit the spot with "Since my play time is more limited due to family and such I tend to get Death Angel out more often...", I don't have so much time either and always tend to play smaller games(friday and sdha, waiting for Onirim and Hostage Negotiator), so maybe I should invest in SDHA, since I have other medium/big games to play(M&M and Robinson Crusoe) and when i get a little "tired", pull the trigger on WQC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oldschoolgamr
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Archidelic wrote:
Skrell wrote:

Thanks!

It's strange, in the early posts people were saying both games were kinda similar, but seems that in the recent posts people don't think like that.

I have Space Marine Pack 1, Mission Pack 1 and the Tyrannid pack ordered, but since they are out of stock, i'm still thinking if I should cancel.

oldschoolgamr wrote:

So many decisions!

Yeah many decisions!
Yeah, I ordered the first 3 expansions, don't have interest in the Deathwing.

You hit the spot with "Since my play time is more limited due to family and such I tend to get Death Angel out more often...", I don't have so much time either and always tend to play smaller games(friday and sdha, waiting for Onirim and Hostage Negotiator), so maybe I should invest in SDHA, since I have other medium/big games to play(M&M and Robinson Crusoe) and when i get a little "tired", pull the trigger on WQC.

That sounds like a plan. I play tested Hostage Negotiator: Crime Wave and really enjoyed it. Can't wait for the KS to ship.

M&M (2nd edition) and Robinson are also on my frequently played list - those I play solo at night while the house sleeps - along with Eldritch Horror and Gears of War - The Boardgame.

I am eyeballing FFG's Arkham Horror LCG, but not sure I want to commit to the LCG model. But the wife and I loved playing the Pathfinder ACG and this one look Waaay deeper than that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Pinheiro
Portugal
flag msg tools
oldschoolgamr wrote:

That sounds like a plan. I play tested Hostage Negotiator: Crime Wave and really enjoyed it. Can't wait for the KS to ship.

M&M (2nd edition) and Robinson are also on my frequently played list - those I play solo at night while the house sleeps - along with Eldritch Horror and Gears of War - The Boardgame.

I am eyeballing FFG's Arkham Horror LCG, but not sure I want to commit to the LCG model. But the wife and I loved playing the Pathfinder ACG and this one look Waaay deeper than that.

Yap, I think with the help of everyone i could get my ideas straight

Oh nice, you think it is better than the original HN? I wanted to pull the trigger on KS, but want to try HN first and sooner =P

LCG is a no no for me XD Low budget, need to choose wisely =P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oldschoolgamr
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Archidelic wrote:
Oh nice, you think it is better than the original HN? I wanted to pull the trigger on KS, but want to try HN first and sooner =P

No, not better. They are both similar and actually work well together. I have base and will eventually have Crime Wave (you can combine cards from both together). The base is a good place to start - just know that you will want the expansion packs for that one too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
Archidelic wrote:

There are some mechanisms shared by both games. Mostly the locations and the fact that moving from one location to another kind of "resets" the enemies, and the way actions exhaust and can't be immediately chosen again. But the rest is rather different - there's an entirely different combat system, WHQ has no equivalent to SHDA's formation based positioning but adds different kinds of unit movements instead. On the other hand, there's more different kinds of enemy behaviour in WHQ, and the quests have a bit more coherence to them.

Really worth having both, but I think SHDA benefits immensely from its expansions. I'd probably choose the SHDA expansions with limited funds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
v b
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmb
haslo wrote:
Archidelic wrote:

There are some mechanisms shared by both games. Mostly the locations and the fact that moving from one location to another kind of "resets" the enemies, and the way actions exhaust and can't be immediately chosen again. But the rest is rather different - there's an entirely different combat system, WHQ has no equivalent to SHDA's formation based positioning but adds different kinds of unit movements instead. On the other hand, there's more different kinds of enemy behaviour in WHQ, and the quests have a bit more coherence to them.

Really worth having both, but I think SHDA benefits immensely from its expansions. I'd probably choose the SHDA expansions with limited funds.

Now I'm curious which expansions you find to add the most to the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love both and they're different enough to own both, but in your situation I'd buy WHQ and enjoy the campaign mode and the 6 different characters you have to fully explore.

Also go check out Arkham Horror: The Card Game, fans of the SHA and WHQ will be more than a little interested in AH:LCG if I'm not mistaken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Pinheiro
Portugal
flag msg tools
oldschoolgamr wrote:
Archidelic wrote:

No, not better. They are both similar and actually work well together. I have base and will eventually have Crime Wave (you can combine cards from both together). The base is a good place to start - just know that you will want the expansion packs for that one too!

Thanks for the info! I found someone selling HN and all the expansion packs for a good price So I don't have to look around for them X)

Thanks for all the input, I will buy this game in the future for sure.

Is is the game easier than SDHA?
Rules are better or worst to understand? Had to watch a video to learn SDHA :|

Skrell wrote:

Now I'm curious which expansions you find to add the most to the game?

I don't own them yet, not even tried them, but my extensive reading of reviews and opinions, indicate this(takes this with a grain of salt and someone correct me):

Best:
Space Hulk: Death Angel Space Marine #1: Good chars, strong but not overpowered, makes the game a little easier, replace team tokens for cards, so it's better for shuffling.
Space Hulk: Death Angel Tyranid Enemy #1: Makes the game harder(lol) new enemys cards to replace the original Genestealer deck and a new location card.

Optional:
Space Hulk: Death Angel Mission #1: New location cards, adds variety to locations, but for what I have read, they don't change too much from the standard ones and makes the game a little bit harder.

So-so:
Space Hulk: Death Angel Deathwing Space Marine #1: Overpowered teams, makes the game a lot easier (good for some people), artwork feels a little bit out of place, some people don't really like this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yes, surely you should go for the Expansions. All of them. But after you have purchased Warhammer Quest Cardgame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Pinheiro
Portugal
flag msg tools
Rox4Games wrote:
Yes, surely you should go for the Expansions. All of them. But after you have purchased Warhammer Quest Cardgame.

I first ordered the expansions, but after hearing about the FFG+GW break up, I ordered everything sooner than i expected XD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
v b
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmb
Archidelic wrote:
Rox4Games wrote:

I first ordered the expansions, but after hearing about the FFG+GW break up, I ordered everything sooner than i expected XD

Yep probably the best thing to do. You can always sell them later if you need back some of the cash at a higher cost probably as their rarity will only increase.
Also please post your thoughts on the expansions as you play with them! I'd love to hear them! :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.