Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: gathering [+] convention [+] recap [+] [View All]
Derek Croxton
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those of you not already tired of them, I have finally managed to post my report on the Gathering of Friends: http://oxenstierna.homelinux.net:85/dikitiki/tiki-read_article.php?articleId=4. (The hyperlink may not work because of the colon. If not, just copy and paste it in your address bar.) I noticed that this is the 5th year I've been doing this, which is hard to believe.

Sincerely,
Derek

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
The link doesn't seem to work without the colon either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
This should help:
http://tinyurl.com/2tt9y6

I will never get an invitation nor have the time for the Gathering, but I will never tire of the reports. I live a sad life...but thanks for posting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Beeler
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Pretty soon, you've been around long enough that you're old.
badge
Why am I the only one who has that dream?
mbmbmbmbmb
The link does not work for me either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff W
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I glanced through your report. I think you are missing the point of the caravan in Yspahan (as a lot of people do)--it is mostly not a hurt your opponent, but to help yourself. In fact, one of the best strategies to score high is to utilize the caravan for yourself (coupled with the Caravanseri building).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Croxton
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dogberry wrote:
The link does not work for me either.

Sorry, I guess my instructions weren't clear. Copy the entire url, with the colon (all the way through "articleId=4"), into your browser's address bar. For some reason, browsers seem to break the hyperlink at the colon, so you don't get the full url. The tinyurl link provided by shumyum should also work just by clicking.

Sincerely,
Derek

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Croxton
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
junesen wrote:
I glanced through your report. I think you are missing the point of the caravan in Yspahan (as a lot of people do)--it is mostly not a hurt your opponent, but to help yourself. In fact, one of the best strategies to score high is to utilize the caravan for yourself (coupled with the Caravanseri building).

You may be right. I may have been influenced by the order in which things were explained to me -- first that you have to watch out for being knocked to the caravan, and second that you can use the caravan to help yourself. The player who explained the rules kept saying that he had seen the caravan used to score a lot of points. However, neither he nor the player who won the game ever used an action to put their own pieces up there.

This brings up another issue, which is that the caravan tends to pay off at the higher levels. It's unlikely to help you much to get 2 vps, unless you have a piece in an incomplete building set and have an action with nothing better to do (or a spare camel and nothing better to do). I can see how it would be a big help as you get higher on the caravan, but there have to be some pieces out there already for this to be the case, and no one seems to be willing to occupy the lower spaces. (Again, referring to my game only.) Once the caravan starts to fill up, I can easily see how people would compete to get on it, and how players not on it would want it to fill up just so it would clear and the process would have to start all over again. But someone has to go in the bottom spaces.

There may be more to the positioning of pieces that I didn't pay attention to. Actually, I deliberately stationed my pieces far away from the white pawn to avoid being knocked out, but I may have been better off being closer. But that still leaves open a lot of factors: you have to have a turn with nothing better to do (such as filling up a group of buildings), and you have to have the right number to move the pawn, or you have to have spend money or have the building that allows you to manipulate the pawn, both of which require other moves...

I'm certainly willing to try this game again (and you can bet I would try for a caravan strategy next time), but I'm not optimistic about the outcome.

Sincerely,
Derek

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.