$5.00
$20.00
$15.00
Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Interactive Games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sal A.
Saudi Arabia
flag msg tools
Hello,
We all know that there are a lot of games that have their own soundtrack just like Mysterium.
And the 2nd edition of Mansions of Madness is played with an app.

are there any other games like that? that has more than whats the in the box?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One Night Ultimate Werewolf has an app to do the night phase, I've not played it and can't remember if it can be played without the app.

I'm sure there are others. There was a recent thread about whether people like these kind of games or not.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Pitiot
Finland
flag msg tools
How about a cake break!
badge
How about a cake break!
mbmbmbmbmb
zabdiel wrote:
One Night Ultimate Werewolf has an app to do the night phase, I've not played it and can't remember if it can be played without the app.

It can be played without the app, just like the regular Werewolf game, someone has to call each character one by one. The app makes it easier as nobody has to remember the order and as it provides background noise to lessen the risk of hearing people moving.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Pitiot
Finland
flag msg tools
How about a cake break!
badge
How about a cake break!
mbmbmbmbmb
Escape also comes with a soundtrack but unlike Mysterium or One Night Ultimate, you cannot really play without it because it is used to give timed deadlines.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Pitiot
Finland
flag msg tools
How about a cake break!
badge
How about a cake break!
mbmbmbmbmb
skullyxhead wrote:
Hello,
We all know that there are a lot of games that have their own soundtrack just like Mysterium.
And the 2nd edition of Mansions of Madness is played with an app.

are there any other games like that? that has more than whats the in the box?

I'm not sure what you expect here since you seem to imply that you already know that there is a lot more of them. Are you expecting specific genres or specific ways the apps are used?

Anyway, similar to Mansion of Madness: Descent 2nd edition comes with an app that can replace the overlord but players can still play without it if they prefer, unlike mansion of madness.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
skullyxhead wrote:
Hello,
We all know that there are a lot of games that have their own soundtrack just like Mysterium.
And the 2nd edition of Mansions of Madness is played with an app.

are there any other games like that? that has more than whats the in the box?


XCOM: The Board Game
Alchemists
World of Yo-Ho
Codenames
One Night Ultimate Werewolf
One Night Ultimate Vampire
Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)
Golem Arcana
Ogre

I could also put Stop Thief, from way back in 1979 as one of the first "app-driven" boardgame. A "Spiel recommended" game that became the inspiration for the later, more known, Scotland Yard. The app drove the movement of the Mister "X" equivalent on the board, which were the thieves.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Alert is probably the earliest one I can remember in the modern "hobby games" era.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You mean multi-media games?


There were tons of them in the 80s and 90 that used VCR tapes, then later DVDs.

They suck as much as apps do.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
DegenerateElite wrote:


They suck as much as apps do.


Some of them do.

Others are great. Like Alchemists.
Even though you can, i wouldn't play One night Ultimate Werewolf without the app.

I also have very good memories of Stop Thief.

Others are great enhancements. I much prefer to keep track of my Ogres stats for the game "Ogre" on my tablet with the official app than on the sheet of papers you have to photocopy before playing.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sal A.
Saudi Arabia
flag msg tools
Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
deedob wrote:
DegenerateElite wrote:


They suck as much as apps do.


Some of them do.

Others are great. Like Alchemists.
Even though you can, i wouldn't play One night Ultimate Werewolf without the app.

I also have very good memories of Stop Thief.

Others are great enhancements. I much prefer to keep track of my Ogres stats for the game "Ogre" on my tablet with the official app than on the sheet of papers you have to photocopy before playing.


No way. Much quicker to x out the boxes or circles on a sheet.

Written record sheets are still the best for games that require it. Much better than multiple cube tracks like Eclipse or an app.

Imagine what a pain Star Fleet Battles or Empires 4x would be on an app.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
DegenerateElite wrote:
deedob wrote:
DegenerateElite wrote:


They suck as much as apps do.


Some of them do.

Others are great. Like Alchemists.
Even though you can, i wouldn't play One night Ultimate Werewolf without the app.

I also have very good memories of Stop Thief.

Others are great enhancements. I much prefer to keep track of my Ogres stats for the game "Ogre" on my tablet with the official app than on the sheet of papers you have to photocopy before playing.


No way. Much quicker to x out the boxes or circles on a sheet.

Written record sheets are still the best for games that require it. Much better than multiple cube tracks like Eclipse or an app.

Imagine what a pain Star Fleet Battles or Empires 4x would be on an app.


Ogre isn't SFB or Space Empires 4X.

Ogre works as an app to track data. That's because the only thing you track on it is damage, and each Ogre is really a tiny record sheet that's actually about the size of a smart phone. It works just as well as paper and pen, isn't slower, and actually works better than paper if on a tablet since the record sheet actually becomes bigger than it's paper version.

... but you don't have to go photocopy (or print) and cut the record sheets before playing, which makes it better.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know how Ogre works.

A sheet of paper is still easier.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Simpson
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rising 5: Runes of Asteros acoop game, will have a deduction app
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
DegenerateElite wrote:
I know how Ogre works.

A sheet of paper is still easier.


Why?

Use a stylus-pen with the tablet (these cost like a buck). Same result as paper...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Nobody is prefect.
badge
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
mbmbmbmbmb
How great that no one makes the remark "aren't all games interactive?"

Oh wait...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
deedob wrote:
DegenerateElite wrote:
I know how Ogre works.

A sheet of paper is still easier.


Why?

Use a stylus-pen with the tablet (these cost like a buck). Same result as paper...


Some people don't like using tablets or smartphones with games.

You can have a small stack of sheets stored in the game and ready to go without having to download stuff if you change phones or whatever.


I have found that players with phones at the table, often do more than record keeping on them.

It's like students taking notes on laptops at the university...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flyboy Connor wrote:
How great that no one makes the remark "aren't all games interactive?"

Oh wait...

No, a lot of games are multi-player solitaire. Could be done PBEM; is much easier: saves time to travel and to meet. whistle
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.