Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Guy
England
Chorleywood
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Does anyone know how well this plays solo. Any amendment to the rules?

The description of the multiplayer game makes a big deal about how the discussions and debates between players are a big part of the game, but obviously these don't exist in solo play.

So is there anything new in solo play that adds tension? Any AI

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There doesn't need to be AI. The only thing that a "player turn" means in TWOM is who gets to make the final decision. Solo, that's you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Mair
Canada
St. Hubert
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The computer game plays very well solo, maybe that would be the best way to get the solo experience.

The way the script works this probably plays perfectly solo. I seem to recall a few discussions on that subject during the Kickstarter but it's been a while so my memory is not perfect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
secoAce -
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the sounds of it, the game actually sounds like it was designed as a solo game (straight from the video gameplay) and multiplayer rules were added in.

In multiplayer game, each player takes turns being the leader making the decisions for the whole group but you're still following the same single storybook for the game.

So in solo play, you're doing all the actions. The thing missing in solo play would be the discussions and talking that would happen with any game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy
England
Chorleywood
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
secoAce wrote:
From the sounds of it, the game actually sounds like it was designed as a solo game (straight from the video gameplay) and multiplayer rules were added in.

In multiplayer game, each player takes turns being the leader making the decisions for the whole group but you're still following the same single storybook for the game.

So in solo play, you're doing all the actions. The thing missing in solo play would be the discussions and talking that would happen with any game.

And I guess that's the point of my question. Given how much emphasis the designers place on the group discussions in multiplayer, the fact that this doesn't happen in a solo game, how does it undermine the game or experience.

For example, if you decide to kill the dog, and no one is going to give you a hard time for 8th, do you lose some off the tension.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess it would depend a bit on your own internal monologue(?) If you can question your own actions well enough the tension would still be there. I figured I'd mostly be playing this game solo. And I'd choose a path that makes sense at the time to me and my own morals. Then in a future play through I'd try doing things atypical of what I'd normally do. I'm thinking I'll keep a log of what I do in certain scenarios. To me doing it this way (and keeping the log) will make the story and game-play more enjoyable in consecutive plays.

EDIT: My morals would never let me kill the dog! How could you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy
England
Chorleywood
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Braffe wrote:
I guess it would depend a bit on your own internal monologue(?) If you can question your own actions well enough the tension would still be there. I figured I'd mostly be playing this game solo. And I'd choose a path that makes sense at the time to me and my own morals. Then in a future play through I'd try doing things atypical of what I'd normally do. I'm thinking I'll keep a log of what I do in certain scenarios. To me doing it this way (and keeping the log) will make the story and game-play more enjoyable in consecutive plays.

EDIT: My morals would never let me kill the dog! How could you!

Hate dogs. ☺️

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I pledged the minimum for this game, and in fact what's keeping me on the fence is that I think this game IS a solo game. The multiplayer seems tacked on, and although I play a lot of games solo, I like them to have multiplayer options. I'm still hoping I can read something that will convince me it works well as a multiplayer game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Andrei
Romania
Constanta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Logus Vile wrote:
I pledged the minimum for this game, and in fact what's keeping me on the fence is that I think this game IS a solo game. The multiplayer seems tacked on, and although I play a lot of games solo, I like them to have multiplayer options. I'm still hoping I can read something that will convince me it works well as a multiplayer game.

I think the game is single player mainly but the hidden goals that were unlocked with ks are working great for multiplayer also. Same mechanics as Dead of Winter with the hidden objectives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you watched the Rahdo video review?... He gives a couple suggestions that may help with multiplayer play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nappen the Wargamer Dad

Stuttgart
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this discussion, I am primarily a solo player, so this may just scratch the itch

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.