Joffrey N.
France
Meyzieu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello guys,

Would like to share with you my 1st campaign. Unfortunately, not each scenario will be very detailed but I hope it will be pleasant to read anyway.

Campaign solo with Carpenter, Friday, Dog, Darwin, 1 crewman (except for scenario 3).

Scenario 1 : with Boy

First time Ive played it, didnt consider Darwin as the 1st player at all, so despite having a pretty decent 46 score, I flushed it all away and restarted from scratch !
Second time was different. It was really nice to play. Bad luck on the book event, I started with 3 in a row so until all "boxes" were placed, I missed a lot of unique resource sets...Even the last (unplayed) event card was a book, damn !! shake
Didn't explore much about 3-4 tiles IIRC. Anyway, got only 2 resources sets, 2 plants , 4 fossiles, and 2 rare beasts. Bloody rare gorilla prevented me to get a 3rd plant (gave too much wounds), basically I was too afraid to die before the end to run after another plant by then, dying in last round would have been a shame. So I ended with a 32 score by the end.

[Forgot to take a picture of this one]

Scenario 2 : with Boy (again)

It was pretty intense !! Got 4 max repairs (thanks to a ton of furs with goat + scenario discovery token + forced by event to fight a tiger) and 2 min repairs, not so bad.
Got my 2nd filled barils by the last round (didnt realize first it could only be filled once per tile per round).
I took several time to reveal the river tile (2 fails in a row), so it delayed the barils filling.
But finally not so bad, I was proud of surviving till the end of scenario, because my win was due in last round to successful built roll by Friday (managed a perfect roll V/blank/blank on building the Brick) and a lucky roll on weather (failure on either of these rolls would have mean a loss !!!). arrrh
I ended 1 wound away from death with Carpenter, 2 wounds away for Darwin, and 1 weapon level !

Scenario 3 : with Boy (what ? again ???)

Starting with an already 6 wounded character is hard. So first try was a fail. I advanced a bit (ended 2 tiles away from last tile) but bloody encounter tokens kept me on the space till the end !!
Second try with Boy and Parrot. Again a fail, this time in round 4 could not build any nets, location 3 got hit every time, so died in combat against Kraken (thanks Davy Jones !)
3rd try with Boy and Parrot again and finally nailed it (without no other easier ruling).
I was lucky enough to draw Poseidon token on first space, so got rid of encounter token of last space.
My strategy was to initially increase weapon level to be fine with food. Then repair each location before they end at level 4. Sometimes I couldnt, but then Carpenter economical construction was pretty handy.
Several times, Darwin was unavailable (Mermaid and Threat card), but I was lucky enough to draw the native discovery tokens which gave an additionnal pawn for the rest of the game ! That helped
It was a bit difficult sometimes, but I got lucky enough to be only 1 time at critical level (which lower morale by 2), but few times after, Poseidon again (from discarded token pile ^^) save from encounter token another space (the last one before the exit tile) and I could end the scenario at the end of 8th round.
Got lucky on last weather roll, mast was level 4 with a reroll, but could prevent the ship from leaving the board !!! Fortunately rolled the 4 only once, so the reroll token saved me cool

Pretty epic scenario (one of my favourite) !! But for sure without 2 crewmen, it is almost unachievable. Maybe doable with 1 and French ruling though (which forces resolved encounter tokens to be removed from the game, though I didn’t apply this as English and German keep them in a discard pile that should be re-used !). Feels better to win the hard way

Scenario 4 : with Surgeon.

This one is much more detailed because played recently so it's fresh in memory

Initial inventions were great, got pit, shield, bed, corral and furnace.
Round 1
Draw a book event, both tribe getting a little angry. Then I explored the first tile, totem and 2 sources So 1st tribe is there, just need to build the shield invention to be able to trade it by the end of the round. Also building the snare now, to be fine with food the whole game. No weather impact on tribe, so all is well
Gained a treasure during trade (Ropes that I used to add 1 roof level) ! Fortunately previous scenario granted 1 universal request that please the 1st tribe who comes back to 0 mood !
Round 2
Gives another book and mood of tribes getting lower again, crap !
1st tribe then moves back to initial beach island tile cool
So now focus on build the shovel that would be tradable later after building the pit which will be VERY useful for tribe 2 ! Friday explores a 2nd tile (no totem but a beast). Rest of pawns gather some wood to please the 1st tribe. Gotta trade the rope item now, because I wont be able to use it for Corral as already +1food token on camp, and additionaly discovery token grants a free cure with pot ! Another tradable invention for later Feed the tribe with a couple of wood.
Round 3
No book this time !
Then 1st tribe moves down, just below the camp, will need to explore it if I want to trade with them later.
Carpenter builds the pit to be in best conditions when tribe 2 comes. Speaking about the devil, tribe 2 shows up on just explored island tile (1 totem and 2 sources) where tribe 1 has moved (how lucky I am !) !! Rest of available pawns gather more wood.
Still no weather impact for now (3 strength beast), so will exchange my ropes treasure for 1st tribe (gained poison discovery token, and no roof loss because previous event already lowered it to 0), and exchange the cure for 1 more wood. Gave my last non perishable food to tribe 2 and it gets at -1 mood, while 1st tribe gets much happier with 3 wood and reward their 1st CP.
Round 4
Still no book event.
Then believe it or not, both tribes moves the same way back to beach tile !! This looks great cool
Production gives 4 food (thanks to pit) and 1 wood. Now is time to Hunt, Darwin will go with the Dog, will be able to calm the beast anyway. Great Scott a Tiger !! Thanks to Poison and Knife, and rubbing up the tiger the right way Darwin only suffers 2 wounds. But getting 5 more food and 2 furs is well worth it. Meanwhile, Carpenter builds the bed for the next trade, and rest of pawns gather wood on tile just above beach, resulting in exhausting the source... Again no weather impact for tribes (blank result). Now Im so fine with food, even after eating, it remains 7 food ! Will trade the whole new bed now for the wooden idol, and the pot for a treasure (Hammock !). Now let's go for a tremendous fair!! Feed 2 woods to the 1st tribe to reveal the secret, and feed 7 food to 2nd tribe to reveal the 2nd secret. Again awesome dice luck, both secrets ended on the same tile, just above the beach. Im now with 3 CP.
Round 5
Another Adventure event.
And both tribes moves on same tile than secrets (that's right, rolled only 1 and 4).
Could end the scenario by exploring 2 secrets right now, but want to wait 1 more turn just to have enough CP for Darwin to have 2 more pawns for last scenario. So I only explore 1 secret (adjacent to beach), and gather some wood. Finally weather roll lower tribe 2 mood. But that's not important. Though I still trade the shovel and last treasure (hammock), for respectively Bamboo token (2 weapon thanks to knife) and +1 palisade. Then offer 1 wood for the tribe 2 to be at happiest mood for last round. This way, even with book and red die effect, both tribe will grant the 2 CP next round
2 more CP gained, so now with 5CP.
Round 6
No book (I'm golden !).
Tribes both go on opposite side of board on empty space, but who cares now ? ^^
Exploring the 2nd secret, healing here and there. Tribe 2 get angrier with red die, but still grants its CP, so 7 CP by the end, and this is how you finish a perfectly smooth game with an awesome dice luck on d6 die

Really awesome scenario. I think it was one of the most PERFECT game I have EVER played (just like for Cannibal Island). I read a lot of stuffs about how difficult this scenario is, but with so much luck, I cannot tell laugh

Scenario 5 : with Surgeon (again…but very helpful in this one !)

This one is much more detailed too because played very recently
Starting the game with only 2 resources sets, 1 parrot and 1 fish missing.

A book in the 1st 2 rounds, baaaah gulp, looks like special abilities wont be much of use during this scenario…

Round 1
Still managed to reveal a river totem tile (fish&wood) with my 1st explored tile and a goat token that might be handy when it comes to build the roof to sustain the weather rain token (that gets rolled A LOT actually). Though event wont give me any food this turn so goat get used right away to keep 1 unperishable food a little longer. But the additional wood from event allows to build shelter right away !
Round 2
It sees a new mountain tile which gives a blue marker (discovery token), though Carpenter must spend the night alone on this tile, getting « lost » but still manage to bring morale up on next day ! A little totem fish gathering to complete the set later, while Friday explores a plain terrain with some needed discovery tokens (food, +1 morale which was way low, and free cure).
Round 3
Carpenter encounters a cheetah before event draw and suffers a severe 4 wounds (but not 5 thanks to free cure), so we use Surgeon on him. Meanwhile the event exhausts our camp wood source. Darwin heals the beasts, restores fossiles, and completes resources set with missing fish (thanks to his 2 additional pawns gained on previous scenarios). Carpenter builds the snare to be food safe for the game. It’s been the 3rd consecutive time that rain token was rolled, might want to get a roof with the cheetah fur soon !
Round 4
New explored hill tile. But Darwin needs to heal plants first or weather effect will discard it. Fortunately, discovery token « fruits » guarantees to be safe for food, despite loosing 1 to prevent beast loss during weather phase. Some Herbs gathering results in a « new affluent » adventure, which based on my shuffle will exhaust our only herbs source next round…Great !!! shake
Round 5
Another book, bloody island…And no more plain terrain to gather from ! Darwin uses the herb from previous round to fully heal the beasts. Carpenter builds the roof and collects the totem parrot with Friday. Weather again with rain token but we’re OK now
Round 6
Event forces to resolve immediate rain token, what a good call to build it on last turn
While Darwin fully heals the plants, Friday will try to explore with Dog for a new plain terrain, but unfortunately, it is a river tile, though with 3 discovery tokens that will save us (2 food, treasure, weapon level). Weather gives us a wound, we are now something like 2 wounds from death, even with surgeon, it’s pretty tense.
Round 7
Event makes us discard the Rope item, while Darwin repairs the last resources sets with the totem parrot. Friday failed in gathering food (to prevent a possible discard during weather). Carpenter adresses a tough threat, and search the beach (no luck for now).
Final round
Final event forces adjacent sources to be exhausted, but we are golden as both disease cards stayed out of the draw for the full game (how lucky we are !). Darwin fully restores fossiles, while I use my last pawns to search the beach. In the meantime, Friday finally successfully gathers a food. More luck this time on beach, as we can find 2 pairs !
Weather forces to discard a food to prevent loosing beast (thank you Friday !) and both Carpenter and Darwin eat their last meal on this island that they will finally live forever… !

So let’s make the count, 2 fully healed beasts (10) + 2 fully healed plants (10) + 2 resources sets (8)+ 4 complete restored fossiles (8) + 2 pairs of beach cards (4) = 40 CP

Not so bad for the first one

And that gives a sweet Carnivorous Plants Diary

Thanks for reading folks, see you for next campaign !! arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marion
msg tools
badge
mb
Very nice Jo, congrats!

But..... in scenario 4, did you move the tribes after the action phase?
Because, actually they move right after the event phase! .....
(so you can make plans to entice them to move closer to you in the action phase whistle)

Don't worry about it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joffrey N.
France
Meyzieu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maho wrote:
Very nice Jo, congrats!

But..... in scenario 4, did you move the tribes after the action phase?
Because, actually they move right after the event phase! .....
(so you can make plans to entice them to move closer to you in the action phase whistle)

Thanks for kind words and GG
Yes yes I moved them at beginning of round during event phase, bad writing above (will update it) !! But can't recall if I moved them before or after revealing the event card, maybe before, though I don't think it changes anything, does it ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marion
msg tools
badge
mb
La_Gofr wrote:

Thanks for kind words and GG
Yes yes I moved them at beginning of round during event phase, bad writing above (will update it) !! But can't recall if I moved them before or after revealing the event card, maybe before, though I don't think it changes anything, does it ?

I don't believe that it changes anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.