Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rich Radgoski
United States
Gouldsboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had this game for years...but I am not consistent in giving reviews... But after the last two games, I realize I must come onto BGG to review this brilliant game.

Over the past several weeks, my sons and I have introduced new folks to the game. We three have twice now had full 5 player games with two new players. We taught them the rules in a few minutes, made sure newbies weren't on the same side and we went at it.

The games are back and forth, as always - with the two sides swapping victory tokens on one side of the border or another. The game is a great introduction to war games for folks who really aren't war gamers. Its easy to understand, apply basic strategy and to recover from disaster (if you are careful). It's a game where the give and take allows for new gamers to get a good feel for this style of game.

The new folks love the dice. these are also simple - three different symbols, each easily executed. Flee! Hit! or Decision time. Easy. The cards can cause a bit more challenge, but even the newest newbies catch on quickly and we haven't had any issues with the specials.

But you all know all that. What really highlighted the last two games was the final battle. Somehow, the events of the game dictated that the final battle took place right in the middle of the board...in the only place that commanded two victory cities.

The battles were huge...and would determine the victory of the game. All the participants were there. In one game, it was the Americans who won the day on the last, desperate rolls that should not have succeeded, but did. In the other game, a it was the culmination of coming back from a six point deficit to take that location with an army comprised mostly of Indians...

And on the last roll of both games a resounding yell of adulation or agony was let out by all of the players. Both times. Reverberations throughout the room... Laughs and curses and an absolute agreement by all involved that it was a great game and we must do it again...

And that's a helluva game folks...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sanders
United States
Henderson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
DNA results:Scottish, Dutch, English, Irish, German, French, Iberian Peninsula = 100% American!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I love the tactical decisions you have to make with the dice results. Great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asger Harding Granerud
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Early Flamme Rouge prototype
mbmbmbmbmb
10/10 for me. Always love playing it

Regards
Asger Granerud
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
What a great review!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward B.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree that the dice do add a lot of fun to this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.