King of Tokyo» Forums » General

Subject: Power up and 2016 edition? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erwan
France
Nantes
flag msg tools
I'm thinking of buying KoT soon, but I'm wondering about one thing: is Power Up compatible with the 2016 edition?

If not, did they announce an updated version of Power Up for the 2016 edition?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, since the Kracken and the Cyber Bunny have been removed and replaced with Cyber Kitty and Space Penguin the two versions are not totally compatible.

As for an update to Power Up, I haven't seen anything so far, but I would bet there is one in the works, as well as a updated King of New York later on too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthieu BONIN
France
Laxou
flag msg tools
publisher
I no longer work for IELLO.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shadowsclassic wrote:
As for an update to Power Up, I haven't seen anything so far, but I would bet there is one in the works, as well as a updated King of New York later on too.
You're right about Power Up (the updated version should come sometime in 2017), but not about King of NY: Régis Torres is already the artist for this game, and the work he did on this game is one of the reason we asked him to redo every art in King of Tokyo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erwan
France
Nantes
flag msg tools
Merci!

What about Halloween? I imagine the evolutions card don't get shuffled together, so it should be compatible with the new Power Up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthieu BONIN
France
Laxou
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
erwanl wrote:
What about Halloween? I imagine the evolutions card don't get shuffled together, so it should be compatible with the new Power Up?
Except for the 12 Costumes (with the old card back), yes. And the art is also by Régis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shadowsclassic wrote:
Well, since the Kracken and the Cyber Bunny have been removed and replaced with Cyber Kitty and Space Penguin the two versions are not totally compatible.
Just like to point out that the only issue is that the cards will have the wrong monster name at the top. Mechanically they will work perfectly fine, no issue.
So if you haven't bought Power Up yet, you may as well wait for the 2nd version. If you already have it, then no hurry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Coran Sloss
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Except for the fact that Space Penguin atleast is supposed to have his own unique evos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dracomageat wrote:
Except for the fact that Space Penguin atleast is supposed to have his own unique evos.

There is still nothing preventing you from grabbing any stack of evolutions and using it with any monster.
The game has not changed. All of the 'old' evolutions will work perfectly fine with the new version.
There is nothing mechanically tying a specific monster to a specific stack in the first place.
Literally the only issue is that the name on some of the evolutions will not match the name of any monster board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vayda
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
https://sites.google.com/site/cnjxwing/home
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It still blows my mind that evolution cards were not included in KoNY and the 2nd edition of KoT.

So much of this headache could be avoided by having this game element be included within the purchased source of each monster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthieu BONIN
France
Laxou
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
virferrorum wrote:
It still blows my mind that evolution cards were not included in KoNY and the 2nd edition of KoT.

So much of this headache could be avoided by having this game element be included within the purchased source of each monster.
But the games would have been more expensive, for a feature not everyone enjoys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martín Borda
Argentina
San Nicolás de los Arroyos
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
San Nicolás AR
badge
Club de Juegos
mbmbmbmbmb
Mattintheweb wrote:
erwanl wrote:
Except for the 12 Costumes (with the old card back), yes. And the art is also by Régis.

Will the 12 Costume cards be available for the new version?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthieu BONIN
France
Laxou
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mborda wrote:
We're currently considering an updated version of the Halloween pack for next year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mattintheweb wrote:
mborda wrote:
We're currently considering an updated version of the Halloween pack for next year.

That seals it for me. I was going to get the Halloween edition this year for the 2nd Edition, but I know I'll be annoyed if you subsequently release an updated version for the 2nd Ed KoT. Therefore, I'll wait.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Gallo
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there any plans for Cyber Kitty and Space Penguin to be sold separately, for people who already have KoT?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erwan
France
Nantes
flag msg tools
Also it would be great to have the Kraken for people who have the new edition

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danni Loe-Sterphone
United States
Goleta
California
flag msg tools
publisher
Customer Service, Translator, Webmaster, Reviewer Contact for IELLO USA
badge
Ask me stuff! I'll help you!
mbmbmbmbmb
erwanl wrote:
Also it would be great to have the Kraken for people who have the new edition

We're releasing a Cthulhu monster pack as a pseudo-replacement for Kraken in the beginning of 2017!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danni Loe-Sterphone
United States
Goleta
California
flag msg tools
publisher
Customer Service, Translator, Webmaster, Reviewer Contact for IELLO USA
badge
Ask me stuff! I'll help you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Necr0mancer wrote:
Are there any plans for Cyber Kitty and Space Penguin to be sold separately, for people who already have KoT?

We're still working out the details so I don't have a release date for you yet cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.