$30.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Quartermaster General» Forums » Rules

Subject: Complete list of differences between the French and English editions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Anastasia
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To the best of my knowledge, these are the differences between the French edition of QMG published by Asynchron and the English edition published by Griggling Games.

1) German Status "Swedish Iron Ore" - In the French edition, an army in Scandinavia is worth 1 point even with no Navy in the Baltic. In the English edition, with no Navy in the Baltic this card is always worth 0 points regardless of other factors.

2) Peace treaty promotional tile - In the French edition, if 2 nations agree to activate the Peace Treaty, all 6 players must discard their hands. In the English, only the 2 players who agreed do so.

3) Removing pieces - In the French edition, pieces may be voluntarily removed only during the controlling player's turn, and only if that player has all of his pieces of that type on the board already. In the English edition, pieces may be removed by their owner at any time.

4) US Bolster "Navajo Code Talkers" has completely different text in the two editions.

5) US Event "Magic" is worded differently in the two editions, with regard to if the discarded Japanese response is selected at random or may be chosen based on the order they were played. The FAQ 4.1 stipulates that both interpretations are valid based on playgroup agreement, but Random is the default in English and Chosen is the default in French.

Nonrules differences:

1) The French edition scoring track shows the margin of victory rather than the total points scored.

2) The line separating the East Pacific from the North Pacific has been redrawn for clarity in the French edition.

3) The French edition includes the Air Marshal expansion in the box.

4) Italian pieces are light green in the French edition and Purple in the English edition.

Printed Differences that have been eratta'd:

1) The French edition includes rules that status cards do not apply until the turn after they are played. In the English edition status cards apply as soon as they are in play. This has been eratta'd to match the English.

2) The cards "General Winter", "Ledo and Burma Roads", "Bombers", and "Heavy Bombers" have small wording differences in the French Edition. These differences have been eratta'd to match the English edition.

Did I miss any?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witch Lord
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
1) Navajo Code Talkers has been rewritten entirely.

In the French version it lets you discard the top card of the US deck at any time to prevent a US Air Force from being removed.

2) Several cards are different, but have been errata'd in order to conform to their English counterparts. Off the top of my head, the literal wording on General Winter would not allow the two removed Armies to be in the same space, and Ledo and Burma roads would have you recruit a British Army in Szechuan instead of a US one.

Also, every Status card comes with a reminder that it does not take effect immediately, but only starting from the beginning of your next turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Anastasia
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Witch Lord wrote:
1) Navajo Code Talkers has been rewritten entirely.

In the French version it lets you discard the top card of the US deck at any time to prevent a US Air Force from being removed.

2) Several cards are different, but have been errata'd in order to conform to their English counterparts. Off the top of my head, the literal wording on General Winter would not allow the two removed Armies to be in the same space, and Ledo and Burma roads would have you recruit a British Army in Szechuan instead of a US one.

Also, every Status card comes with a reminder that it does not take effect immediately, but only starting from the beginning of your next turn.
I'm hoping to capture only differences that remain after all errata are applied.

Navajo Code Talkers sounds like it should be in my list. The eratta'd cards I'll add to non-rule differences.

Hasn't the delayed-action Status card rule also been eratta'd away?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witch Lord
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes, the Status cards behave like the English ones after the errata.

Another difference used to be that Bombers / Heavy Bombers used to require any piece, not just an Army, within 3 / 2 spaces from the enemy Home Space, but that has been errata'd as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witch Lord
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've just remembered another difference (which has NOT been errata'd). The French incarnation of Magic allows the US player to choose which Japanese response they want to discard, based on the chronological order in which they were played (which the Japanese player is not allowed to conceal, e.g. by shuffling them).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Anastasia
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Witch Lord wrote:
I've just remembered another difference (which has NOT been errata'd). The French incarnation of Magic allows the US player to choose which Japanese response they want to discard, based on the chronological order in which they were played (which the Japanese player is not allowed to conceal, e.g. by shuffling them).
Uh, the english version sort-of allows this too.
From the English FAQ 4.1: wrote:
Magic
Since it is not required in the rules for the American or Japanese player to track the order that the face-down Response cards are played, when a Japanese Response card is discarded, it is selected randomly among those on the table. Players may agree beforehand to keep track of the order in which these are played in which case the United States player may select the Response card based on this knowledge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witch Lord
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ian gave a ruling (https://boardgamegeek.com/article/22784711#22784711) that, while ultimately leaving it up to the group / GM whether shuffling the responses and making the card random is allowed, strongly leans towards a preference for having the card behave randomly.

On the other hand, from what I've gathered, the consensus in the French community pretty much seems to be that the US should always be able to choose the card based on play history.

I'm bringing this up because it's definitely a topic with the potential of becoming very "hot" unless established before a game starts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Anastasia
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Witch Lord wrote:
Ian gave a ruling (https://boardgamegeek.com/article/22784711#22784711) that, while ultimately leaving it up to the group / GM whether shuffling the responses and making the card random is allowed, strongly leans towards a preference for having the card behave randomly.

On the other hand, from what I've gathered, the consensus in the French community pretty much seems to be that the US should always be able to choose the card based on play history.
Fair enough. I've added it to the list. I'll confess my bias is towards the non-random interpretation of this card, but I should try to be impartial in this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bakija
United States
flag msg tools
Q: Are we not men?
mbmbmbmbmb
Witch Lord wrote:

Wait. What? All of them? So if you play a Status on your turn that grants VPs, you don't start generating VPs till the start of your next turn? Or, like, Atlantic Wall doesn't protect you till your next turn?

Edit: Never mind. Apparently fixed with errata you mention a few posts down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Croquet
France
flag msg tools
mb
Non-rule and with no effect on the gameplay : Japanese are able to provide supply to their fleets with their mighty amphibian trucks : the Japanese response card "Truk" has been mistranslated as "Camions" (which means Trucks).
Another non relevant difference is that Italians have light green pieces instead of purple ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Anastasia
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shoum wrote:
Non-rule and with no effect on the gameplay : Japanese are able to provide supply to their fleets with their mighty amphibian trucks : the Japanese response card "Truk" has been mistranslated as "Camions" (which means Trucks).
Another non relevant difference is that Italians have light green pieces instead of purple ones.
Added the color difference. Leaving out the card title translation issue - I feel like it goes without saying, even though this anecdote is interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.