Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Over on the kickstarter, there has been a little (very little) chatter about a first player marker.

Since I am the kind of person who will get one even if it's not a stretch goal (which it could be, we don't know all the goals yet!), my question is:

What would be a good first player marker for Fields of Green?

The only one that has been suggested is a rooster- which makes sense, I suppose, even though it's usually my cat that wakes me up wanting breakfast. (There is no snooze on a cat wanting his breakfast, either!)

So what do you think? A rooster? Or something else? What and why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Lunte
Germany
Garrel
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Well, I'm the one that brought the rooster back up again, but I really think it was a great suggestion by BGR. It just makes sense, being the first one to wake up in the morning and get to work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois L-C
Canada
Near Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

A tractor!

A rooster is good enough, but too typical, so why not make this game a different farming game, because even though some people kept thinking this as "another farming game like Agricola", it as nothing to do because one is set in the 17th century and FoG is set in the middle of the 20th century. Really not the same kind of farming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko Pe
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A tiny little tractor like on the cover
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tobl wrote:
Well, I'm the one that brought the rooster back up again, but I really think it was a great suggestion by BGR. It just makes sense, being the first one to wake up in the morning and get to work.

I know you are

But I thought if we started a conversation over here about it, it would draw some interest and keep FoG in the spotlight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cerberus777 wrote:

A tractor!

A rooster is good enough, but too typical, so why not make this game a different farming game, because even though some people kept thinking this as "another farming game like Agricola", it as nothing to do because one is set in the 17th century and FoG is set in the middle of the 20th century. Really not the same kind of farming!

Oh, I like the tractor idea!

Part of it is that someone told me if I wanted to play a farming game solo, go play Agricola. I might like it... but nothing about it excites me the way just the previews of FoG has. And it was that person who originally put forth the rooster idea.

Petty of me, I know... but I don't like being told 'we don't want you here- go play something else.'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Lunte
Germany
Garrel
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
wren08 wrote:
I know you are

But I thought if we started a conversation over here about it, it would draw some interest and keep FoG in the spotlight.

yeah, no problem with that. Just wanted to give context so that it's not counted as a second vote for rooster.

---

Cerberus777 wrote:

I haven't really played any other farming games, does Agricola use a rooster token?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tobl wrote:

Cerberus777 wrote:

I haven't really played any other farming games, does Agricola use a rooster token?

I don't know, myself. I've never played Agricola and possibly never will now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois L-C
Canada
Near Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tobl wrote:
Cerberus777 wrote:

No but it has a rooster on the cover.

My point was just that a rooster is typical for farming theme, but this game is not just another farming game, as there is not much game out there that I know that the farming theme is set in more modern days.

EDIT: Viticulture use Rooster token for the player order track.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Vitaculture- I should have known that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wren08 wrote:
I have Vitaculture- I should have known that!

Argh, I was going to suggest a Viticulture-esque rooster. A tractor is a good suggestion, but a rooster is just so... farm wake-up image inducing, if you know what I mean.

Maybe some other form of animal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Boehm
Germany
Leipzig
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tractor +1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an idea!

At my local Hobby Shop, they have a train set up. You go in and you look at it and it's nice, trees, a station, a few 50s cars and people... and some nice tiny animals... ducks, a herd of cows in a field, one of the cows being picked up by a passing flying saucer- wait, what?

One of the herd of cows is being picked up by a flying saucer. It's a small clear cone of plastic which supports the small flying saucer and inside the cone is a happless cow about halfway up- partly upside down, to the cow's further confusion. With a toy flying saucer, an HO scale cow and a tiny clear plastic funnel, this could be either a first player marker or a turn marker.

Ties in with the crop circle card... so only if you're playing with the Essen cards, I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really like the tractor idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Lunte
Germany
Garrel
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just noticed that the cards have little set-icons in the lower right corner (thanks Francois); a tractor for the base set and a cow for the stretch goals. So either of those (depending on if it's KS-exclusive) could also be great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben M
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Tractor ftw. It connotes farming and modern technology. (And it's fun)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois L-C
Canada
Near Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tobl wrote:
Just noticed that the cards have little set-icons in the lower right corner (thanks Francois); a tractor for the base set and a cow for the stretch goals. So either of those (depending on if it's KS-exclusive) could also be great.

You're welcome Tobias! And don't forget the flying saucer icon for the Essen promo!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Connors
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And here I was hoping for a real stalk of wheat...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
th3tick wrote:
And here I was hoping for a real stalk of wheat...

I live in farming country- you don't want it- really, you don't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Miller
Australia
Brisbane City
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first player marker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.