1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Games with "Best / weirdest/ funniest" starting player conditions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Troels Astrud
Denmark
flag msg tools
I usually like letting the starting player be determined by some sort of of drawing mechanism, but in many games there are some pretty funny starting player rules.

Off the top of my head:

Tzolkin - "The player who most recently sacrificed something"
This one i pretty bad, as it usually end ends up taking a long time to determine.

Blood rage - "The player born furthest to the North"
Pretty straight forward, and thematic.

Fluxx - "The first player to call it!"
Simple, and fun.

Castle panic - "The person who owns the most orc-related items"
Alaways spawns a fun conversation around the table.

...Keep em' comin' :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am Abomination
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmb
There is a geeklist for that.

And there's also Start Player

See http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/76700/many-odd-and-mundane... for instance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Hibbert
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Grizzled - Hairiest player!
Spyfall - Most suspicious-looking player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One I never use is "the person with the sharpest ears" in Small world as it's a call to comment a physical trait of the players and to get hurting comments.

"The player who has most recently planted a tree" in Ginkgopolis is thematic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zarkov
Germany
Saarbrücken
Saarland
flag msg tools
I rather like the starting player rule from Moonbase Alpha: “The first player is the last player to walk on the moon. In the rare case a tie-breaker is required, each player rolls one die. The low roll gets the first turn and the high roll picks the starting bases.”

In Deep Sea Adventure, the starting player is the last to swim in the sea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianluca Casu
Belgium
Ixelles
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is one game in my collection that states that the the person that last sat on a throne goes first, specifying that even the porcelain one counts.

Now I will spend the afternoon trying to remmeber WHICH game it is....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Chiriboga
United States
Oviedo
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In The Great Heartland Hauling Co., the person with longest hair or best facial hair goes first. If those traits are divided between two different people, then they arm wrestle for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Skovtrolle wrote:

In my game group that would start a discussion on the difference between the magnetic north and the geographical one, so I've long ago introduced a personal method : I take a meeple/token of each player color in my hand and hurl them across the table to an opponent : the meeple that lands closest to his table edge is the start player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roads & Boats: The person who suggested playing this game goes first. Makes sense to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Van Beurden
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:
Skovtrolle wrote:

In my game group that would start a discussion on the difference between the magnetic north and the geographical one, so I've long ago introduced a personal method : I take a meeple/token of each player color in my hand and hurl them across the table to an opponent : the meeple that lands closest to his table edge is the start player.

My variant - where I throw them at players' faces and give start player to the player that flinches least - was less popular.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
capricorn_tm wrote:
Now I will spend the afternoon trying to remmeber WHICH game it is....

Could it be Pecunia non olet ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skovtrolle wrote:
This one is pretty bad, as it usually end ends up taking a long time to determine.
As long as you have a live chicken, a bucket and a knife, and you plan ahead the day before your game day, this one is really quick.

Personally, I find that bathing in the blood of a freshly decapitated chicken and asking Buluc Chabtan to aid me in the coming competition really immerses me in the theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I might use the official rules for determining a start player once, after that I use the Chwazi. We sometimes describe it as the app which tells us who has the pointiest ears, has most recently visited an island, has the longest hair which has caused the occasional confused look. Obviously games where deciding who starts first is built into the game (e.g. bidding for first), or even whoever has the highest population city in Pandemic I'd use that, as well as things like cutting the deck in cribbage (traditional and quick).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cthulhu Wars - The fattest person at the table goes first. I have an inclination this one was Sandy's idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not particularly funny, but I find Eight-Minute Empire: Legends's bids for first turn to be quite fun, getting the decision-making going even before the game "begins", and that's not a system I've seen in other games (though it may be more widely used than I am aware of).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
As long as you have a live chicken...

I wonder if many people have done something like this to go first. Perhaps not sacrificing a chicken but wearing more colourful clothing for instance.

P.S. Here's another geeklist:

How to choose the starting player
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
Skovtrolle wrote:
This one is pretty bad, as it usually end ends up taking a long time to determine.
As long as you have a live chicken, a bucket and a knife, and you plan ahead the day before your game day, this one is really quick.

If I remember correctly, last time I played this game I said "I shaved this morning so I consider I sacrificed my beard". They agreed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Keefe
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In Flapjacks and Sasquatches, it goes to whoever has the most facial hair. It's fun to watch the kids scrutinize each other's faces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hafergulden wrote:
I rather like the starting player rule from Moonbase Alpha: “The first player is the last player to walk on the moon. In the rare case a tie-breaker is required, each player rolls one die. The low roll gets the first turn and the high roll picks the starting bases.”

If you want to skip to the most relevant part, start around 2:38.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Xahendir wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
Skovtrolle wrote:

If I remember correctly, last time I played this game I said "I shaved this morning so I consider I sacrificed my beard". They agreed.

Well, actually convincing me to play Tzolk'in again would require that I sacrifice my own better judgement, so I imagine that would qualify me...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan T
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Love Letter starts out with a laugh when playing with strangers (or kids) -- "person who most recently went out on a date!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Weiler
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And for a perfect fit in regards to "weirdest" there is always this masterpiece from 2006:

Dschingis Khan: Bewegung an der Großen Mauer - "The player with the most narrow eyes"

classy.... whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Webhead123 wrote:

Well, actually convincing me to play Tzolk'in again would require that I sacrifice my own better judgement, so I imagine that would qualify me...?

We play this game because we enjoy it so we don't consider our presence as a sacrifice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
klopu lamar
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In Forbidden Desert the thirstiest person plays first!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Hjelmberg
Sweden
Saltsjö-Boo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Guess the game of this one: "Whoever has last reached the peak of Mount Everest using nothing but blue and white checkered stilts carved from the wood of a Mammoth tree is declared the Starting Player. In case of a tie, the wisest player of the group begins the game."

Spoiler (click to reveal)

Another example from the same designer is: "The game is begun by the player who looks most like a pirate... (not necessarily an advantage)."

Spoiler (click to reveal)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.