Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have heard users refer to "resource depletion" as a viable tactic/strategy in this game. I can see where that is an important consideration offensively as well as defensively. I have also seen a complaint that when adding the ladybug and mosquito, that strategic consideration is diminished considerably. So my question is: Is it best to remove an ant and a grasshopper when using those two expansion pieces? I have seen that suggested before by an experienced player and I am wondering if that is a widely used variation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Leong Yeo
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
aka Uncle
badge
小富靠勤,中富靠智,大富靠德。
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a little discussion of this in the following recent thread:
POLL: Which form of Hive do you prefer?

I personally prefer playing Hive with the Mosquito and Ladybug included, and one Ant and one Grasshopper removed to limit the starting player advantage. I am not sure how widely used it is though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Colombo
United States
Raleigh / Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
BlueLineGameStudios.com
badge
BlueLine Game Studios - Digital Tabletop games since 2011
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't do any non-canon configurations, personally.

My favorite combinations are:
1. Core game
1. Core game + all 3 expansions
2. Core game + pillbug
(numbering is intentional: there is a tie for first ).

I agree that adding all 3 expansions drastically limits the resource-depletion, but I don't see that as a problem... just a difference that makes it not the same experience as the core game. This adds different strategies than core-game which is one of the fun parts about playing with expansions; mixes it up a bit.

I play much less defensively with the expansions & I arm-up a lot since it's easy to do w/out running out of pieces. Man, I need to go play some Hive...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Kando
United States
Warwick
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeoster wrote:
I personally prefer playing Hive with the Mosquito and Ladybug included, and one Ant and one Grasshopper removed to limit the starting player advantage.

I couldn't find a thread on this.
Does one exist?

What do you do about the Pillbug?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Great Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
We are by no means super serious tournament players, but my wife and I enjoy just adding the Ladybug and Mosquito without removing other pieces. And we've logged 150+ plays. Everything seems equal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Leong Yeo
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
aka Uncle
badge
小富靠勤,中富靠智,大富靠德。
mbmbmbmbmb
awfalafel wrote:
I couldn't find a thread on this.
Does one exist?

What do you do about the Pillbug?

I've forgotten where I've read about the starting player advantage with more bugs. Nonetheless, it is our experience during our numerous plays and we like the adjustment back to the base game's number of bugs.

We own a copy of the Pillbug, tried it several times, disliked it a lot and have not included it since.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Kando
United States
Warwick
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeoster wrote:
I've forgotten where I've read about the starting player advantage with more bugs.

Found.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.