7 Posts

World in Flames» Forums » Strategy

Subject: The Aggressive Allies rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Enrico Osvaldi
msg tools
Hi all!
I just wanted to know if is and way to be aggressive with the allies from the beginning of the game
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, sure there are. Directly or indirectly.

British carriers and naval air can make for a pretty good surprise impulse attack against the Italian fleet. Or in response to a German occupation, the British can land in northern Denmark and maybe divert some German troops.

The Commonwealth can try taking out some key minors, like Portugal (to gain the Azores mostly, which will be useful in the Battle of the Atlantic) or Norway.

The Soviets can threaten Japan, or they can outright go to WAR with Japan in 1939.

But there are penalties for this - primarily, various aggressive Allied actions are likely to offend the United States and delay US entry...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Osvaldi
msg tools
What about...a Brit invasion of Italy?? I mean early on in order to align Yugoslavia.
Is it possible?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
KrasnyOktyabry wrote:
What about...a Brit invasion of Italy?? I mean early on in order to align Yugoslavia.
Is it possible?

I'm sure it is possible, though I haven't tried it. But it's probably one of those strategies that will have to rely on the Axis player being caught unawares. A British buildup in the Med in late '39 or early '40 should be pretty obvious to the Axis, I would think.

If the objective is solely to align Yugoslavia, then the CW could accomplish that by getting four corps into Greece...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Osvaldi
msg tools
The thing is ,my enemy attacked greece in sec/oct 39 and i have no troops to spare... .
Greece hasn't fallen yet though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Jurin
United States
Great Neck
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Wendell about the major steps, and I think you are finding the case; it is hard and dangerous to be too aggressive early.

From a naval standpoint, the CW has an early advantage before France falls. The subs can't go too far, the French fleet is around. However, aggressive action can be limited by the fear of the Italian surprise round, not the least is the annoying frogman (if you play with them). You can be aggressive here if you DoW Italy, but as Wendell said, there is a large US entry cost.

Moreover, early in the game most players transport overseas Inf to France with the French transport and the BEF to France with CW transports, and of course these should be well protected by your fleet and carriers.

As far as land units go, you already see that you don't have enough land units to garrison Gibraltar (necessary), send troops to France, and garrison other areas.

After calling up your reserves, you have some more troops, and as Wendell said, you can DoW Portugal, or some other aggressive actions. Some players attack Iraq early; you have some time until France falls.

But one major constraint is that once France falls especially, you have to worry about a Sea Lion. If Germany has his Para and AMPH, and the CW has troops all over in the Med, and you leave 4 land units in England, you may find yourself invaded.

So the short answer is that you can and probably should do something while France is around and is the priority of Germany and Italy, but aggression should be tempered with caution. The CW has a lot y do - they are strong in total, but if they overweight one activity, they have to be weak somewhere else.

With the USSR, I agree that you can be aggressive in Japan, but you don't want to lose a lot of troops here or you will be in trouble when Germany comes. You also may want to start suggestive, if you set-up big against Finland you should get the borderlands without a fight. You also may want to grab Bessarabia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henning Afzelius
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

As the others state there are ways to be aggressive as the Allied side but a sad side effect is most aggressive actions from the Allied side cost the USA some delay into entering the WW2.

The date of US entry into the war can in a LOT of ways make or break the war for the Allied.

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.