Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How big, in $$$, is the board game industry right now? Seems like there has been a strong steady growth over the past decade or more and I wonder how it compares to other growth hobbies?

Meaning, is the board game industry a small geek niche, or is it to the point where we will start seeing it corporatized and the rule of 3's will begin to emerge?

I have seen other hobbies grow like this to the point that the business evolved from artist/designer types, to mom and pop, to small start-ups, to mergers and larger companies dominating the landscape. I am just wondering if our footprint is large enough for this to occur relatively soon or if we are simply destined to remain a boutique business with a handful of small companies and many independent ones...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure the mergers are happening right now. Every week we see another company bought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
I'm pretty sure the mergers are happening right now. Every week we see another company bought.

Is that so... So you beleive we are headed that way then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am Abomination
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
It will all depend on Asmodée now, since it has swallowed most of the most important companies. What will it now fart?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Shalev
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
According to ICV2, the hobby boardgame industry was nearly $900 million in 2014.

http://icv2.com/articles/markets/view/32102/hobby-games-mark...

I suspect we're well over $1 billion now. For comparison, the film industry is nearly $300 billion. Other industries in the $1 billion neighborhood include VR, meditation, and the Colorado legal marijuana industry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Johnson
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
badge
INFECTED EGGS
mbmbmbmbmb
ender7 wrote:

I suspect we're well over $1 billion now. For comparison, the film industry is nearly $300 billion. Other industries in the $1 billion neighborhood include VR, meditation, and the Colorado legal marijuana industry.

What is VR?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Johnson
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
badge
INFECTED EGGS
mbmbmbmbmb
LukeTDG wrote:
infectedeggs wrote:
ender7 wrote:

What is VR?

Virtual Reality:

http://www2.deloitte.com/global/en/pages/technology-media-an...

Thanks for that. I've always had a hard time with acronyms. I find them esoteric.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
infectedeggs wrote:
LukeTDG wrote:
infectedeggs wrote:
ender7 wrote:

What is VR?

Virtual Reality:

Thanks for that. I've always had a hard time with acronyms. I find them esoteric.
I've always found words like esoteric to be esoteric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rule of 3's?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stevepop wrote:
Rule of 3's?

The rule of three in Business and Economics is a rule of thumb suggesting that there are always three major competitors in any free market within any one industry. This was put forward by Bruce Henderson of the Boston Consulting Group in 1976,[1] and has been tested by Jagdish Sheth and Rajendra Sisodia in 2002, analyzing performance data and comparing it to market share. This is an attempt to explain how, in mature markets, there are usually three 'major players' in a competitive market.[2]

It obviously isnt a hard rule but one that does often occur.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Nobody is prefect.
badge
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
mbmbmbmbmb
ender7 wrote:
According to ICV2, the hobby boardgame industry was nearly $900 million in 2014.

I did a quick back-of-an-envelope calculation and came to about 0.3 billion, for actual board game sales. If you also take into account sales of RPGs, dice, and other paraphernalia, maybe 0.5 billion. It isn't big, and the only way to increase the size is to expand to China (which is happening at the moment), as most people are content with buying 10-20 games in their whole lives.

The number of ICV2 probably also includes MtG and games like that, which are more money sinks than board games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Johnson
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
badge
INFECTED EGGS
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
infectedeggs wrote:
LukeTDG wrote:
infectedeggs wrote:
ender7 wrote:

What is VR?

Virtual Reality:

I've always found words like esoteric to be esoteric :)

Maybe esoteric was an unfortunate choice of word. Some may find it a little recherché.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thrilly Philly
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
infectedeggs wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
infectedeggs wrote:
LukeTDG wrote:
infectedeggs wrote:
ender7 wrote:

What is VR?

Virtual Reality:

I've always found words like esoteric to be esoteric

Maybe esoteric was an unfortunate choice of word. Some may find it a little recherché.

please, no more cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Smith
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Can you two please continue, your quotes are too cryptic to be a serious archetypal thread Hijack.

While here can we complete the other two companies making up the 3 ?
Would it be more boardgame companies or would someone like Gamesworkshop be considered a market competitor versus Asmodee ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Walker
United States
Bolingbroke
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mattel, Hasbro, Asmodee?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ender7 wrote:
...and the Colorado legal marijuana industry.
Wow, outpaced the entire worldwide boardgaming industry in less than four years with a population of only 5.5 million...

Pete (is pretty sure board gaming isn't hitting the big time any time soon)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Rietveld
United States
Zeeland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
Pete (is pretty sure board gaming isn't hitting the big time any time soon)

Jeff (is pretty sure no-one in California is hitting the big time any time soon either)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Shalev
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flyboy Connor wrote:
ender7 wrote:

I did a quick back-of-an-envelope calculation and came to about 0.3 billion, for actual board game sales. If you also take into account sales of RPGs, dice, and other paraphernalia, maybe 0.5 billion. It isn't big, and the only way to increase the size is to expand to China (which is happening at the moment), as most people are content with buying 10-20 games in their whole lives.

The number of ICV2 probably also includes MtG and games like that, which are more money sinks than board games.

There is an actual breakdown at the link...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wrot!
United States
Alhanbra
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
60,000 at Gen Con. 160,000 at Essen.

It's big. And growing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.