Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabriele Mauri
Switzerland
Gentilino
Ticino
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all, I have just finished putting together the two core sets and plan to start playing over the next days. I wonder how to best combine the two sets. I read that basically I can mix together the cards and tokens except for Loot deck, Scavenge deck, and the Exploration Tokens. Regarding the map tiles of the mine how should I do for the deck?

Any other good tip on how to make best use of the two sets combined?

thanks for the help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rather than using the map cards for the corridors and junctions from both sets, a lot of folks only use the cards from one set. My group has been doing that, but I'm thinking about adding them back in because finding a corridor doesn't trigger an event it DOES move the exploration marker down the track and add more Hold Back the Darkness rolls. I'm thinking that MIGHT make the game harder, but I'm undecided on that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jansson
Sweden
Trollhättan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a few ways to set up your map deck.

All cards from both deck. This makes the ratio the same as just one base set regarding junctions and corridors to room cards. Altought if you draw 4 in a row, not so much fun.

All room cards and one set of corridors and junctions makes the game easier and a bit faster, and you probably wont have such bad luck draw as in the example above.

If you shuffle and split the room tiles and mix in the corridors and junctions in the top half of the deck you will have the correct same ratio as if you used only one base set.

Or you can toss the corridors and junctions cards and play with only room cards. This makes the game much faster, but also easier.

There is no correct way, it's your game and you should play as you prefer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
All cards from both deck. This makes the ratio the same as just one base set regarding junctions and corridors to room cards. Altought if you draw 4 in a row, not so much fun.

So much so that the designer Jason Hill said you shouldn't do this. If you own both base sets you should only use one set of room/corridor cards.

Having made the mistake myself, what will happen in some games if you use both Decks is the Darkness will escape the mines because you'll get a series of corridor draws that won't yield encounter tokens but still force you to take time traveling through them (and making rolls to Hold Back the Darkness.)

Max Jansson is correct that you can play the game how you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I use all he cards, I like the variety in the mines.
To (somewhat) mitigate the multiple corridor issue, I don't move the depth track for corridor rooms. It can still screw you because of hbtd rolls, just not as hard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Price
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
I just put all of them in one deck - but only use the first corridor of that type to show up. The rest are redrawn. That roughly keeps the original distribution of hallways while preventing long duplicates. Note that a 1 in 4 change is statically the same as 2 in 8, but only for an individual draw - once you eliminate a possibility by drawing a card, the odds change.

So choose your preference and use it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Llewellyn
United Kingdom
Telford
Shropshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Use all map cards but limit corridors to a max of only 2 then re-draw until you get a room card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boiko Boichev
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
Autoduelist wrote:

So much so that the designer Jason Hill said you shouldn't do this. If you own both base sets you should only use one set of room/corridor cards.

When has he said so?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with 1 set of corridors. The game is delicately balanced for how quickly you get clue tokens, you're going to make the game much more variable (and it's already too variable) in terms of this problem. Don't do it unless you want the game to be harder.

Also with the two base games and Cynder, stand by to hire a truck to carry around the tiles. That's another reason why maybe not combining the tiles might be something to consider. Or maybe you have a stronger back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
When has he said so?

I kickstarted this game for a friend, so it's not worth my time to review all the rules threads - some starting with ambiguous headings like "just a few questions before I start" - in order to find Jason's official response to quote it here. My friends and I were actively reading the rules forum questions when we first got the game as part of the Puget Sound, WA pickup and I recall coming across this very topic because were losing games from the double deck and searching for answers.

Based on a quick Google search, here's an unofficial FAQ/Errata sheet that might be helpful.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1271983/unofficial-faq-erra...

I'll make sure to mention to Scott Hill at the final Puget Sound pick-up for Shadows of Brimstone that the community is waiting for a FAQ and - terrible as it might be - they may need to review all the rules questions threads currently up on BGG if they want an up-to-date document.

It might be helpful for Jason Hill and Scott Hill if someone in the community kept a summary of all the questions that were asked to date. I know it's a lot of work, but the likelihood of specific questions getting official answers will go up significantly if the work is done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Godfrey
France
Lissac
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How I play it.

Keep the Mine Deck to 18 cards. 12 room cards and 6 corridor cards. So separate them, put the 24 room cards together, shuffle them, draw 12, then mix in the 6 generic corridor cards that come with either set.

Use only one set of Scavenge Card and Loot Cards. Only one set of Encounter Tokens.

Until now, this has worked fine for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I know this thread is about gameplay stuff, but the real answer to "what next?" Is to start painting :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jee Fu
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Leave the corridors in if you're gonna use multiple sets of mine tiles (which you should, cause its awesome). Otherwise, you will inadvertently nerf every ability and item that either:

a) allows you to either discard and redraw a map card (since corridors won't come up with the same statistical frequency)

or

b) helps you to keep the Darkness from progressing (since the the Posse marker will be moving less relative to your mission progression without the same corridor:room ratio).

IMO, it's not worth messing with the balance of the above mechanics that much to avoid the tiny, tiny chance that 5 corridors will come up in a row. Better to find an in-game solution.

As far as I know, Jason never said to mess with the corridor/room ratio. Are you sure you're not thinking about what he said re: combining Scavenge / Loot decks?

- Jee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriele Mauri
Switzerland
Gentilino
Ticino
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot for your help and replies! I went with only 1 map deck as we played the first mission that was anyway quite limited will definitely try the other variations soon.

Painting will be next although I fear it will be an impossible task

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.