$20.00
$15.00
$5.00
Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Massive Darkness» Forums » General

Subject: Hopefully not so much blood'n'guts rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Grand Khan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

just want to express my hope that MD will stay away from excessive gore. I plan to play this with my family - Zombicide from what I have seen is for my taste way out of league, so if this plays similar to Zombicide (which many people seem to like) and is just a bit more family-friendly themed, I would be happy!

I think I saw somewhere that it is also targeted at 14+, but it seems to me by taking away just a few of the monsters (Nightmare thing comes to mind), it should be OK.

It seems I am in the minority though as there are so many games coming out (especially games with minis) that feature very graphic monsters. We love Mice & Mystics, I would just like to have something with more of a dungeon crawl feeling to it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandKhan44 wrote:
Hi,

just want to express my hope that MD will stay away from excessive gore. I plan to play this with my family - Zombicide from what I have seen is for my taste way out of league, so if this plays similar to Zombicide (which many people seem to like) and is just a bit more family-friendly themed, I would be happy!

I think I saw somewhere that it is also targeted at 14+, but it seems to me by taking away just a few of the monsters (Nightmare thing comes to mind), it should be OK.

It seems I am in the minority though as there are so many games coming out (especially games with minis) that feature very graphic monsters. We love Mice & Mystics, I would just like to have something with more of a dungeon crawl feeling to it.


I don't see minis in Massive Darkness like the Z:Cide fatty who is holding his guts in, BUT...

... only you can make the determination yourself for what is appropriate for your family in terms of gore or fright factor. Go to the Kickstarter page - look at all the minis on display. They aren't going to change dramatically from what you see there.

That's what you're dealing with - it's a known. Recognize that you can "exclude" a mini here or there, because of the modular nature of the game (I think you do recognize that).

Finally, consider that your family will be one year older than they are now when you get a copy to the table - because that's when this Kickstarter will be delivered.

Best of luck.

Note that for me, my 8 year old insisted on playing Z:BP. I played with her and she was okay with it. But, YMMV.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B
msg tools
mb
Honestly, I am not really seeing anything that makes me feel like Massive Darkness is game for 14+. It seems more like an 8+ game. There is next to no blood or gore in the art (from what has been shown). The worst of it is probably the Z:BP cross over cards which have all the gore from Z:BP, but you can choose to not buy that add-on and it won't be available at retail.

Honestly, the females aren't even dressed that provocatively other than Mila. Again though, you can choose not to buy that add-on, or if you want it for the other heroes and monster included in it you could just remove Mila.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandKhan44 wrote:
just want to express my hope that MD will stay away from excessive gore. I plan to play this with my family - Zombicide from what I have seen is for my taste way out of league, so if this plays similar to Zombicide (which many people seem to like) and is just a bit more family-friendly themed, I would be happy!

What blood and gore have you found in Zombicide? Leave the minis unpainted and there's no suggestion of blood and guts at all. Maybe the artwork? I only own the Black Plague version of Zombicide and there isn't any blood on the survivor art.

Also, you may not be aware, but when a mob of orcs hacks a player's character to death with axes, it's pretty gory.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B
msg tools
mb
Dormammu wrote:
GrandKhan44 wrote:
just want to express my hope that MD will stay away from excessive gore. I plan to play this with my family - Zombicide from what I have seen is for my taste way out of league, so if this plays similar to Zombicide (which many people seem to like) and is just a bit more family-friendly themed, I would be happy!

What blood and gore have you found in Zombicide? Leave the minis unpainted and there's no suggestion of blood and guts at all. Maybe the artwork? I only own the Black Plague version of Zombicide and there isn't any blood on the survivor art.

Also, you may not be aware, but when a mob of orcs hacks a player's character to death with axes, it's pretty gory.


Lol, the art work is litered with blood and gore. Heck, the core box has a zombie dead center getting it's head slashed off:



Several of the zombies are covered in blood around their mouths and fingers (and some scantily clad):



Even some of the minis are pretty graphic with slashes and guts falling out:
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Khan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrsuitcase wrote:
GrandKhan44 wrote:
Hi,

just want to express my hope that MD will stay away from excessive gore. I plan to play this with my family - Zombicide from what I have seen is for my taste way out of league, so if this plays similar to Zombicide (which many people seem to like) and is just a bit more family-friendly themed, I would be happy!

I think I saw somewhere that it is also targeted at 14+, but it seems to me by taking away just a few of the monsters (Nightmare thing comes to mind), it should be OK.

It seems I am in the minority though as there are so many games coming out (especially games with minis) that feature very graphic monsters. We love Mice & Mystics, I would just like to have something with more of a dungeon crawl feeling to it.


I don't see minis in Massive Darkness like the Z:Cide fatty who is holding his guts in, BUT...

... only you can make the determination yourself for what is appropriate for your family in terms of gore or fright factor. Go to the Kickstarter page - look at all the minis on display. They aren't going to change dramatically from what you see there.

That's what you're dealing with - it's a known. Recognize that you can "exclude" a mini here or there, because of the modular nature of the game (I think you do recognize that).

Finally, consider that your family will be one year older than they are now when you get a copy to the table - because that's when this Kickstarter will be delivered.

Best of luck.

Note that for me, my 8 year old insisted on playing Z:BP. I played with her and she was okay with it. But, YMMV.


Yeah, maybe it is all in my head and the kids won't care - I am very insecure how I should handle this and if Zombicide would be an option. But there are also third parties to consider - I remember the look on the face of another mother after my 5yr old son recounted his Mice & Mystics adventures and how they fought a giant spider, don't know how it would go along if he talked about killing Zombies ;-)

I know hacking away at orcs or vice versa can be gruesome too, but it just seems to be possible with MD to tone it down a notch or two ...

BTW, I backed MD so I will get a bunch of content.

Thanks for your opinons...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex A
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I am rather of the same mindset - a general aversion to blood/gore, particularly if my kiddos will be playing it. (They're under 3 so I've got a bit of time before they touch most of the games.) Zombies give me the willie's, but mostly I just can't handle the gore. I bought Zombicide because of the great reviews, and I'm very glad I did!

The biggest thing I noticed in Z-cide (original) was the tiles. They did a good job of making them look...mmm, realistic. The rule book and box have pictures, but the tiles are where you'd notice it most notably in Z-cide. You won't have to worry about that with the MD, from the pictures they've posted. And the comments about Mila, Nightmare...those are probably the only figures you'd have to adjust for...Maybe the flesh golem. But that still leaves you with over 140 minis to play with, so it seems a good deal to me!

I echo the 8+ age sentiment - this game feels a lot more kid-friendly all-around. I have friends from all spectrums, so I am certain I'll have quite the time adjusting things as I go for their children. (Removing the demons for one family, removing suggestive females for another, removing gory or scary monsters for another...hooray censorship and being a responsible parent respecting the wishes of others). So yeah, whatever feels right to you as a parent, go for it and enjoy yourself!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newsham
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Specifying 14+ on the box frees the manufacturer from having to meet a whole set of toy safety standards. It rarely has much to do with the complexity of the gameplay or the nature of the content.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Timmermans
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Purely anecdotal, but my 4yr old daughter loves the ZCide BP artwork. She thinks the boxart is hilarious. To her, zombies are like any other monster and you need heroes to fight monsters. When I tell her you get to play the hero in this game and actually fight the monsters, that's like a magical thing to her and she can't wait to be old enough to actually play it with us instead of just watching.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex A
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jeroenemans wrote:
Purely anecdotal, but my 4yr old daughter loves the ZCide BP artwork. She thinks the boxart is hilarious. To her, zombies are like any other monster and you need heroes to fight monsters. When I tell her you get to play the hero in this game and actually fight the monsters, that's like a magical thing to her and she can't wait to be old enough to actually play it with us instead of just watching.


That's an excellent point. I don't hide the box from my kiddos, and my older one calls them dinosaurs. xD

I like the "we're fighting the monsters."
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Lox
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm on be fence about pledging for the same reasons. My kids really enjoy Mice and Mystics as well and I thought something with some more combat variety would be welcome. My first look at th gameplay game me the impression it was actually no more complex than M n M to play so it just has to be non gory and not too provocative to work.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.